Style you will never brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the moment I can't see myself doing most lagers (just not a fan) or any sours. You never know, though. I'm hesitant to say "never" just because I might get bored at some point or I might try a commercial example that I love so much I want to try to re-create it.

Just wanted to quote myself here and say that I just bottled a pils and a dunkel. I haven't yet brewed any sours, but I do have plans to do so. So like I said, never say "never."

I won't brew beers that have tutti frutti French and Belgian names, nor, beer named after cheese, flowers, English kings, British lords, Irish saints, Greeks, Monks, kangaroos or birds.

Stuff I'll never brew:

- A light american style lager
- Saison

But I like just about everything else. I like wheat beers, IPAs, pale ales, amber ales, stouts, porters, red ales, etc.

Speakin of revvy,where is he? Did he fall off the edge of the earth or something??

I was wondering that myself the other day.

I brew beer styles that I like.

That being said, it's highly unlikely I will ever brew a Rauchbier. I can't stand the smoke.

Don't see myself ever doing a lager. I'm all about ales now.

I've only brewed 3 or 4 lagers in like 8 years of homebrewing. The first one was crap because I didn't know what I was doing. But the last 2 I made were both some of the best beers I've ever made. I love lagers because I feel like the malt expression isn't muddied by too many yeast esters and you get a clear grain character. I've since lost my temp controller and freezer chamber about 2 years ago after the divorce. Had to move in a small apartment which forced me to scale back. But at the time I was thinking about converting all my American ale recipes to use lager yeast and brew them cold. That's how much I felt about the cold fermentation and lagering process improving my beers.

Of course I'd still want to brew yeast forward styles like Belgian ales. But I would love to try to convert to lager for my day-to-day quaffers like pale ales, IPAs, porters and stouts.

dfc said:
I can't say there's any style I'll never brew. While there are styles that I don't prefer I imagine I'll end up trying to brew them all.

Totally agree as much as there might be styles I am not a fan of at this time I will surely brew them out of boredom. At about 150 batches I'm ready for n e thing.

At work I have to brew a couple styles I would never brew at home Hefe and Blondes are two styles I have zero appreciation for and I doubt I will ever have the urge to brew a Kolsch.

I may end up with a Hefe though, one of the local breweries kicked out a Tangerine Hefe that was pretty impressive so I may give it a shot after all.

Latest posts

Back