Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Stupid Airlock

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012, 02:53 AM   #41
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,933
Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmaster12 View Post
And such humble brewers as yourself for them to turn to advice from.
Figures........ can't back up the ridiculous post you made, so now it's a personal thing. S'pose you'd like me to stoop down and throw one back......................................
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
NordeastBrewer77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 02:56 AM   #42
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Between here and there, and everywhere
Posts: 12,058
Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmaster12 View Post
I have made 20 batches thus far in my brewing adventure. Haven't taken a single hydrometer reading and Haven't had a single bottle bomb yet. Airlock activity at a rapid pace is a good sign that fermentation is occurring. No one is arguing with you Revvy that a lack of airlock activity means no fermenting or slow bubbling necessarily means fermentation is still occurring. The OP's point is that with proper brewing practices and yeast pitching, rapid bubbling from an airlock is a very great sign that your beer is fermenting.
I haven't used a hydrometer for the past several batches... I've used a refractometer for both OG and FG though... Better brewing through better gear/hardware...

I think a lot of us streamline our routines to fit OUR own styles of brewing. But, we all follow the same general practices. There are differences, of course. Such as with how you aerate/oxygenate your wort before pitching yeast... I use a pure O2 infusion system with a LpM regulator on it. I KNOW how much O2 I'm putting into the chilled wort. Next item on my list to get is an O2 meter/tester so that I can actually pull a reading of the wort I just hit with O2 and KNOW what the PPM is.

IMO, as long as you're not one of those "that guy" types who follows the kit/recipe instructions to the letter, including X days in primary and Y days in another vessel, you'll do well. Use your brains once in a while (or more often) and you'll make even better beer. Personally, I haven't used a kit since my third brew. Over 30 since then and I'm getting stellar results with my own recipes. I'm even brewing second batches of several since they came out so good. One or two are on the list of 'not again' but that happens to everyone who makes their own recipes...

/drunken mumbles.
__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
Golddiggie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 02:58 AM   #43
Lazarous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 379
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Troll

__________________
Lazarous is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 02:58 AM   #44
brewmaster12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Posts: 206
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie

I haven't used a hydrometer for the past several batches... I've used a refractometer for both OG and FG though... Better brewing through better gear/hardware...

I think a lot of us streamline our routines to fit OUR own styles of brewing. But, we all follow the same general practices. There are differences, of course. Such as with how you aerate/oxygenate your wort before pitching yeast... I use a pure O2 infusion system with a LpM regulator on it. I KNOW how much O2 I'm putting into the chilled wort. Next item on my list to get is an O2 meter/tester so that I can actually pull a reading of the wort I just hit with O2 and KNOW what the PPM is.

IMO, as long as you're not one of those "that guy" types who follows the kit/recipe instructions to the letter, including X days in primary and Y days in another vessel, you'll do well. Use your brains once in a while (or more often) and you'll make even better beer. Personally, I haven't used a kit since my third brew. Over 30 since then and I'm getting stellar results with my own recipes. I'm even brewing second batches of several since they came out so good. One or two are on the list of 'not again' but that happens to everyone who makes their own recipes...

/drunken mumbles.
Agree with everything you said. I've used 1 kit in my 20 batches. The rest are my own recipes and I've had 3 or 4 that I wasn't happy with and many more that I thought were great.
__________________
brewmaster12 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 02:59 AM   #45
brewmaster12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Posts: 206
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77

Figures........ can't back up the ridiculous post you made, so now it's a personal thing. S'pose you'd like me to stoop down and throw one back......................................
You're the one who tried to knock my brewing knowledge and dismiss my posts as bad information.
__________________
brewmaster12 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 03:01 AM   #46
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Between here and there, and everywhere
Posts: 12,058
Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmaster12 View Post
You're the one who tried to knock my brewing knowledge and dismiss my posts as bad information.
Girls, you're both pretty..
__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
Golddiggie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 03:02 AM   #47
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 18,555
Liked 3177 Times on 1984 Posts
Likes Given: 2698

Default

I watch bubbles as a gauge of fermentation.

I always take a hydro when I keg.

I think Revvy's advice is great for beginners. But when you've made an embarrassing amount of beer, those generic/conservative rules fade into the shadows and the rules of experience are everything.

Anyway, the bubbles are important to me, but I know my system and my fermentors and the timing of my brews.

Cheers everyone!

__________________
What Would Vermeer Paint?
passedpawn is offline
spearko520 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 03:02 AM   #48
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,933
Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I haven't used a hydrometer for the past several batches... I've used a refractometer for both OG and FG though... Better brewing through better gear/hardware...

I think a lot of us streamline our routines to fit OUR own styles of brewing. But, we all follow the same general practices. There are differences, of course. Such as with how you aerate/oxygenate your wort before pitching yeast... I use a pure O2 infusion system with a LpM regulator on it. I KNOW how much O2 I'm putting into the chilled wort. Next item on my list to get is an O2 meter/tester so that I can actually pull a reading of the wort I just hit with O2 and KNOW what the PPM is.

IMO, as long as you're not one of those "that guy" types who follows the kit/recipe instructions to the letter, including X days in primary and Y days in another vessel, you'll do well. Use your brains once in a while (or more often) and you'll make even better beer. Personally, I haven't used a kit since my third brew. Over 30 since then and I'm getting stellar results with my own recipes. I'm even brewing second batches of several since they came out so good. One or two are on the list of 'not again' but that happens to everyone who makes their own recipes...

/drunken mumbles.
Really good points there. I've done a lot of streamlining as I've progressed as a brewer. There are a few things I won't skimp on though; yeast, I always make a stater, aeration, can't say enough about that, temp control, just as important as pitch rates, and sanitation, 100+ batches and not a single infection, I plan to keep it that way. I still brew kits because I get a Ale of the Month membership @ Midwest every year for xmas, but I learned long ago the first step of brewing a kit is throwing the instructions in the trash. Since the cat's outta the bag, and every one knows that I'm not a humble guy, I feel safe saying this; lately I have been brewing some of the most amazing beer. The best part is, I keep getting better, so I know this time next year I'll be making even better beer!!!
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
NordeastBrewer77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 03:03 AM   #49
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,933
Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmaster12 View Post
You're the one who tried to knock my brewing knowledge and dismiss my posts as bad information.
Because it WAS bad information. Stop crying.



And thank you GD, I'm glad you still think I'm pretty!!!
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
NordeastBrewer77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 03:04 AM   #50
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Between here and there, and everywhere
Posts: 12,058
Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I watch bubbles as a gauge of fermentation.

I always take a hydro when I keg.

I think Revvy's advice is great for beginners. But when you've made an embarrassing amount of beer, those generic/conservative rules fade into the shadows and the rules of experience are everything.

Anyway, the bubbles are important to me, but I know my system and my fermentors and the timing of my brews.

Cheers everyone!
Knowing your system, and the yeast you use, IMO, is key... I've been using the same few yeast strains for all my brews, so I know how they act in a wort. I also know how long they need to do what must be done to give me what I desire.

I've yet to brew "an embarrassing amount of beer" but I hope to reach that level someday.
__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
Golddiggie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DejaBrew! or, This is getting stupid! JetSmooth General Beer Discussion 4 05-22-2011 12:09 AM
stupid, like really stupid, mistake. BrewsCampbell General Beer Discussion 16 03-28-2011 03:17 AM
Ok! So I am really stupid.... Saxmk6 General Beer Discussion 4 12-11-2010 11:13 AM
I did something stupid. cushdan General Beer Discussion 23 10-21-2010 09:19 AM
I did something stupid TeleTwanger General Beer Discussion 19 11-03-2008 04:04 PM