Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Stuck Fermentation...Repitch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
JohnnyD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stuck Fermentation...Repitch?

Hey Guys,

I'm new to HomeBrewTalk but not to homebrewing.

A little back story:
I purchased Northern Brewer's Bourbon Barrel Porter Kit, brewed it, fermented in primary, and then transferred to secondary with the bourbon and oak chips.

Unfortunately, in a complete absentminded lapse of judgment I didn't check the gravity until after I had added the bourbon and oak chips, assuming it would be fine - I've never had a stuck fermentation before.

It wasn't. Now I've got a beer that had SG: 1.064 is stuck at 1.030 and should be down around FG:1.016.

Looking back I know why the fermentation got stuck (temperature shock) but I'm a little wary about repitching (Wyeast Scottish Ale 1728).

How do you guys think the yeast would react with the bourbon and oak? Is it worth repitching or should I just learn to live with it.

Thanks,
John

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

The bourbon & oak won't bother the yeast. I'd just pitch some Nottingham or S-04.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I disagree with David. I've never had repitching work for me. The only solution that works, in my experience, is pitching on another yeast cake. Why don't you brew a smaller, similar beer with something like nottingham or S-05. A stout or something, or even a not-so-hoppy british ale of some kind. Once it's done, rack to secondary, then rack your porter onto the cake. I can almost guarantee this will work. It's done the trick for me many times.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-14-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
count barleywine
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think as long as the amount of bourbon isn't too high, where it would render the yeast non-functional, a re-pitch should be fine, and pretty much a must. Can't risk those babies exploding, nor is it ethical to pour them out or something crazy. That being said, search for the proper re-pitch method, if there is one, as there may be key steps to the process that I don't know. It's probably just pitchy-pitch away but I'm not positive.

-Evan posted as I was doing so, and I agree that the straight pitch doesn't always work. I haven't had to rack one onto a cake yet, but that sounds like the way to go.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I would make a small starter with some DME and when fermentation starts pitch it in your beer. Keep the brew in mid 70* range untill fermentation starts.

http://bjsbrewery.blogspot.com/

Old 01-14-2009, 06:55 PM   #6
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This question keeps coming up and I just answered one today in a PM.

Repitching doesn't usually work because you are pitching yeast which were cultured on plates with 1.020 wort into BEER. It's like dropping a couch potato at 12,000 feet and expecting him to make it to the top of Mt Everest. He'll make it 300' and then fall over.

Pitching onto a yeast cake as Evan suggests works because the yeast are acclimated to beer and are hungry just waiting for something else to chew on. Plus there are lots of them.

Another option is to make a yeast starter and progressively feed it your beer over a few days before pitching it. After 4-5 days you will have enough yeast (and they will have been chewing on some of your beer along with wort) they should finish the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 01-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
vtbeerman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think racking to another yeast cake is the best option. I tried repitching a porter and it didn't help. Once I moved it over to another yeast cake it took off and finished.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 446 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
This question keeps coming up and I just answered one today in a PM.

Repitching doesn't usually work because you are pitching yeast which were cultured on plates with 1.020 wort into BEER. It's like dropping a couch potato at 12,000 feet and expecting him to make it to the top of Mt Everest. He'll make it 300' and then fall over.

Pitching onto a yeast cake as Evan suggests works because the yeast are acclimated to beer and are hungry just waiting for something else to chew on. Plus there are lots of them.

Another option is to make a yeast starter and progressively feed it your beer over a few days before pitching it. After 4-5 days you will have enough yeast (and they will have been chewing on some of your beer along with wort) they should finish the job.
This along with what Evan said are the answers you need to choose from. Just tossing in a packet of yeast or a small starter aren't going to do much for you.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 01-18-2009, 10:45 PM   #9
JohnnyD
Recipes 

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the info guys! I'll be brewing a Scottish 80 tomorrow with the same yeast as the porter. As soon as its done in primary, I'll rack the porter right on top of the yeast cake.

I'll keep you posted as to the (hopeful) success!

Old 07-07-2009, 02:17 AM   #10
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So...... What happened???? I think I am dealing with a stuck RIS after 2 weeks. It sure as hell looks done so I am think I am going to have to do something.

Quick Reply