Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > stuck fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2007, 02:02 PM   #1
lrk97420
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default stuck fermentation?

I have been brewing for several years and came accross an issue today I have no experience with. I made a dead guy clone and used wyeast european ale yeast (with a starter that took off). I see little or no bubbling from fermenter after nearly 30 hours. I moved it to a slightly warmer location to see if I could get it going, but the airlock moves a bit, but no good action. Is that typical with this yeast? I do notice when I use certain yeasts they will start slow then ferment for longer. Others will take off in a few hours and finish fast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4950 Times on 3586 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Just a thought- maybe give the carboy a gentle swirl/shake to rouse the yeast?

From Wyeasts web site:
1338 European Ale Yeast. From Wissenschaftliche in Munich. Full-bodied complex strain finishing very malty with full bodied profile, very desirable in English Style Brown Ales and Porters. Produces a dense, rocky head during fermentation. Flocculation - high; apparent attenuation 67-71%. (62-72° F, 16-22° C)

Since the flocculation is high, maybe that would help. Are you using a carboy or a bucket? Do you see a "dense, rocky head"? It's also possible that it's about done, too, especially since you used a starter that took off.

Lorena

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-09-2007, 03:11 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do you see any foaming (krausen) on top of the surface of the wort? If there is a krausen, but no airlock activity, chances are that your bung/airlock is not achieving a seal. If you don't see any krausen, then it's just slow to get started. I've had yeast take 3 days to get started...and it turned out fine. Give it more time before you worry.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-10-2007, 12:23 AM   #4
lrk97420
Recipes 

I am using a bucket and can't see if there is any progress. I'm at 48 hours now. I will swirl and see how that works. Thanks for the encouragement

Old 01-10-2007, 12:30 AM   #5
Hopfan
Nice Beaver....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

If you're using a bucket, chances are that you don't have a complete seal and the fermentation is well on its' way to being complete. Pop the top and see if there is or was Krausen. If so, just give it a few days to finish up & move to secondary.

Zip ties are the duct tape of the 21st century

Bad Dog Brewing
Sit...Stay

Quick Reply