*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Strawberry Blonde Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 05:04 AM   #1
Jhubba1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Strawberry Blonde Ale

Hi all,

I've decided to start a discussion on brewing a Strawberry Blonde Ale. I used the Blonde Ale Kit from Midwest Breweries which came with Belgian Wit yeast. Pitched to a starter.

In this recipe the only addition made was 4 pounds of pureed strawberries and 1 tbsp of corriander.

I added the strawberries at flame out and let pasteurize for 10 minutes before cooling the wort, aerating, and pitching yeast.

The primary fermentation required a blowout hose for 3 days. After a week and a half there was no trub when transfered to the secondary. We waited another week and transfered again finally seeing some settiling of yeast and strawberry particles. 3 days before bottling we added gelatin to hopefully clarify the beer.

Okay I know it's early, but I try one beer when bottled every week to see how it changes up to the month mark. This beer tastes great. But it is very cloudy. It tastes and has the mouthfeel of a normal ale, but isn't much to look at.

Another note. The fermentation temperature on the crystal thermometer stuck to the outside of the bucket showed temperatures nearly reaching 80 degrees. This goes with the crazy fermentation for over three days of straight blow off.

Any comments, suggestions on how to perfect and clarify the beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
Stuntman
Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 7

IMHO at this point Cold Crashing seems the route to take.

I did read something about Gelatin (you have to get the right type). He stated a pan of water and some gelatin to slowly bring up temp to 155 or so. No higher, just to melt it, and then cool so that it is only warm to the touch and pour into secondary. Stirring very slowly, then cold crashing. I cannot remember where I saw it though...Someone?

Just a Side note: I am in to fruit here lately. I learned that freezing, then simmering and introducing fruit into secondary will work better (your fruit won't blow out the airlock or blow off). I have a Jack LaLayne Juicer. I ran Cherries, for one batch and Peaches and Walnuts for the second. Having to run the pulp several times to get all the juice out, I zip-locked and froze what I had obtained. In secondary, after cooling, I introduced the simmered for fifteen minutes (once frozen fruit). Cherries are prevelent with only three cans in a five gallon batch (one third of what I used last time). I sampled 1/3 pint three times (1 Pint uncarbed cherry wheat bliss) when going to keg. Man was it good! For some reason the Peaches and Walnuts still have krausen, so I am waiting.

Emphasis on drank, sober since August 28 2011

Old 04-23-2010, 04:28 AM   #3
Jhubba1
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply. I will follow up more on this. I did what you said with the gelatin melted not boiled. However, I did not stir it into the carboy. I poured it directly in and along the sides trying to disperse it as much as possible. Tuesday will be two weeks bottled so I'll update you with the progress of my second taste then. Cheers

Old 04-27-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
Jhubba1
Recipes 

Okay.

Week 2 tasted the beer. It is really good, nice head and plenty of rising bubbles. So, the verdict is when strawberries are pureed and than added clarity will suffer. The taste will be good but the clarity will be muddy. The beer still looks like it is in the primary fermentation. However, this ale has a strong taste and smell of strawberries which is what I want because it tastes great!

Next batch I will try a different method of adding strawberries. Does anyone have any success in a nice clear ale with the smell and taste of strawberries still being present?

Old 04-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

i didn't see any mention of it so ill mention it. because you heat pasteurized the strawberries you set their pectin. so consequently you are experiencing pectin haze. you need to add some pectic enzyme. but seeing as its already in the bottles its to late. it would be to much of a pain to get the proper amount of enzyme in each bottle.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #6
OsbornBrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nah steeping the strawberries at the end of the boil is the way to sterilize them without setting the pectins. Boiling is what sets the pectins.

Sounds like you just didn't leave in the fermenter long enough.

Life's too short to drink diet beer.
Osborn Brewing, LLC
Friend us on Facebook
Monroe, OH

BREWS - Brewing alot, kegging alot, bottling more, updating less, check Facebook if you need to know for sure

Last edited by OsbornBrewing; 04-27-2010 at 11:17 PM.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:28 AM   #7
WildGingerBrewing

Recipes 

Liked 1928 Times on 1902 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I am brewing Succulent Strawberry, that I found on here, this weekend. The recipe says to brew as normal and keep in primary for one week. Rack onto 8 lbs of frozen strawberries, in secondary, for a week. Then rack back off of the strawberries into tertiary for 4 weeks. I love Pete's Strawberry Blonde so I am very excited about this brew. I'll post throughout fermentation as well for updates.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:50 AM   #8
Zombie13
Recipes 

Along these lines, I want to brew a strawberry blonde as well. What I was thinking of doing is following the recipe for a standard blonde into the primary, then splitting it in half and putting 2.5g into secondary with the strawberries and either bottling or a separate secondary for the other 2.5g as a 'standard' blonde.

My question is: It this a bad idea?

Z.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:12 AM   #9
velosim
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I thought adding gelatin also dropped the yeast out of a beer and wasn't usually recommended when bottling. Sounds like you are getting carbonation though, so is this not the case? Thanks all.

Primary: nothing
Secondary: cherry lambic, lager
Kegged: Brandon O's Graff, BB Porter Clone, WITness Protection Program
Bottled: Trappist 3.0, Saison, Big Old Ale (bourbon oaked)

Addicted to homebrewing, not to drinking homebrew, i think...

Old 04-28-2010, 03:16 AM   #10
Stuntman
Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDragon View Post
i didn't see any mention of it so ill mention it. because you heat pasteurized the strawberries you set their pectin. so consequently you are experiencing pectin haze. you need to add some pectic enzyme. but seeing as its already in the bottles its to late. it would be to much of a pain to get the proper amount of enzyme in each bottle.
Yeah this sounds more like it, when do you add the enzyme? Thanks for the tip, I would like to do a Blonde as well, I don't want to burn myself out on Wheat (I looked at it as,"Wheat is supposed to be cloudy").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie13 View Post
Along these lines, I want to brew a strawberry blonde as well. What I was thinking of doing is following the recipe for a standard blonde into the primary, then splitting it in half and putting 2.5g into secondary with the strawberries and either bottling or a separate secondary for the other 2.5g as a 'standard' blonde.

My question is: It this a bad idea?

Z.
I do it all the time, except I do ten gallon batches 2-5 gallons beer in 2-6 gallon primaries, then each 5 gallon batch goes into a 5 gallon secondary. My concern would be there is a lot of oxygen if you only put 2 1/2 gallons into a 5 gallon primary, you might get infection/oxydation since it will take time for yeast to fill empty space with CO2. Do you have 2 1/2 gallon secondaries? I would think smaller the head space on secondary is better. I may be wrong, CO2 is heavier might blanket it quickly. Anyone Again?

Emphasis on drank, sober since August 28 2011

Tags
ale, clarity, fruit, strawberry

Quick Reply