Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Strange Fermentation: 12 gallon split into two 6.5G carboys...one incomplete

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
snoworshine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Strange Fermentation: 12 gallon split into two 6.5G carboys...one incomplete

Ok, so this is really strange. I split my 12 gallon all-grain batch into two 6.5 gallon carboys and after 3 weeks fermenting, one is at 1.008 and the other is at 1.018....what gives?

So now the details:

• Its an all-grain double american IPA which was calculated to come out at 7.4%ABV
  • I used a 1800ml starter (as usual) made two days before.
  • The carboy which did not fully ferment had between 0.5 to 1.0 gallons extra versus the carboy that went down to 1.008
  • The taste is very similar, but the one at 1.018 with significantly more sugar taste (as expected)
  • When cooling down from brew kettle (through counter-flow-chiller) the wort hose was alternated between each carboy multiple times to get an 'equal' wort...ultimately ending, and leaving, the 1.018 carboy with more wort
  • I don't taste any infection in either one
So, any guesses?...suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

I'd look at your yeast, and their viability. If you used 2 vials/packs of yeast, made a starter, and then split it equally, then I'm stumped. If you used 2 vials/packs, and pitched them directly into your carboys, I'd guess that one of your packs had fewer viable yeast cells than the other.

Barring that, one batch could have been aerated less than the other. One could have been at a warmer temperature than the other. Maybe the yeast in one just got lazy and decided to take a little break.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
skadalajara
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yeasties is fickle beasties.
You can't control em.
Maybe call the 2 carboys seperate batches?

-J

Making the world a bitter place, one IBU at a time.

Axé Cidery and Aleworks

Primary: Social Lubricant
Secondary: Tongue Oil
Lagering: Icy Paralyzer
Bottle conditioning: Liquid Courage
Drinking: Loud Mouth Soup

Old 03-04-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Something to remember is that with yeasties, you are dealing with living creatures...every fermentation is different...you can split a batch in half put them in 2 identical carboys, and pitch equal amounts of yeast from the same starter...and have them act completely differently...for some reason on a subatomic level...think about it...yeasties are small...1 degree difference in temp to us, could be a 50 degree difference to them...one fermenter can be a couple degrees warmer because it's closer to a vent all the way across the room and the yeasties take off...

Someone, Grinder I think posted a pic once of 2 carboys touching each other, and one one of the carboys the krausen had formed only on the side that touched the other carboy...probably reacting to the heat of the first fermentation....

I've found that you should never assume anything where the yeasties are concerned except that they are in charge...not us...and they've been doing this beer making stuff for 5, 000 years...so basicially we just need to trust them, and not bug them...and give them plenty of time, and they will make us very very happy.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
nibiyabi
Recipes 

^More like 10,000 years, at least.

Primary #1: empty
Primary #2: Old Greg's Honey Stout (brewed 2009.03.20)
Secondary #1: Old Greg's Apfelwein (modified) (made 2009.03.20)
Secondary #2: Old Greg's Apfelwein (made 2009.03.05)
Keg #1: Old Greg's American IPA (brewed 2009.02.20 // secondaried 2009.02.28 // kegged 2009.03.07 // tapped 2009.03.30)
Keg #2: Old Greg's Chocolate Hazelnut Porter (brewed 2009.03.06 // kegged 2009.03.30)

RIP: Old Greg's Classic Beer Pong Ale (2009.02.27 - 2009.03.06)

Old 03-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
Braid
Recipes 

Pop a smidge of yeast energizer in there and see if it picks back up.

Did you say the slower fermenter was the one with higher volume of wort? If so, then the yeast just has more work to do and that me be the only reason.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
TheTower
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looking at your process, you had one starter, which I assume you split relatively evenly between the two worts. One of the worts had more wort in it, meaning more fermentables, meaning longer time to finish fermentation. Take it to an extreme: If you put one vial liquid yeast in one gallon of wort, and one vial in 10 gallons wort, which would finish faster?

TreeTop Brewing

Primary:
Bottled: ESB, Belgian Pale, Belgian Dubbel, Pumpkin Ale, Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Chile Pepper Porter

Quick Reply