Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Stout vs Standard Faucet Showdown

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #11
Jonnio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
In my experience, the pour from a creamer faucet is similar to that of a beer engine. They're not the same, and they work on very different principles, but for a fresh beer, the results are pretty close. You'll never get the "real ale" effect without an open cask and a beer engine, though.
Yeah, I am mainly going for the pour. I was actually going to bypass the real ale effects by keeping about a psi of co2 on the gas line so that as the beer engine was drawing the beer out it would be replaced by co2 instead of air.

Hmmm... maybe I will have to put a stout faucet on instead of doing the BE.

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #12
PurpleGrin
Recipes 

Yuri...I am curious about the argon. I've been doing the typical 25/75 for my stout faucet.

I have a big bottle of argon that I use for winemaking, so would love to stop filling the "beer gas" mix to save a buck.

Do you carbonate the stout with CO2 first, and then switch over to argon for the whole corny keg? Or do you put it back on CO2 when done pouring? You said "lightly carbonated". As in say, half the typical ale carbonation of 10 psi?

Sure would appreciate the tip. I actually have my beer gas cylinder in the car, to fill up on the way home.

Scott

Old 01-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #13
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 618 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I force carbonate on CO2 to 1.0-1.5 volumes. Then I put it on argon and leave it there. Since it's under constant pressure, it stays carbonated - there's nowhere for the CO2 to go.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #14
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
That's it. I need to dust off my stout faucet and put it back to work on my mild, dry stout and my left nut brown.

If only I could get rid of that metallic flavor it imparts.
Is it because it is brass? I just bought mine and I haven't used it yet. I meant to get chrome but I got brass and I'm thinking about sending it back for an exchange.
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 01-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #15
PurpleGrin
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick reply.....free beer in San Diego waiting for you.

Quick Reply