Stout hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoPhunk

Reaction score
So im planning on making an oatmeal stout. I have 4 different hops in the freezer. cascade, chinook, centennial, and target. what would be the best to use?

It's hard to go wrong with Cascade for any beer... I've used CTZ @ 60 minutes and Cascade @ 15 minutes and 5 minutes in a stout with good results.

Target, definitely. Oatmeal stouts are malt and roast forward. Also, oatmeal stout is a British style, so tends to do better with British hops. I think the C hops would be wasted.

...unless you're going for an American-style oatmeal stout, save those C hops for your next IPA. I "third" the target nomination.

To get another angle on things, i love a good hoppy stout. I live in the south and one of my favorite beers is the Happy Ending from Sweetwater and also the Beer Hop Breakfast from Mikkeller. They are both outstanding examples of really hoppy big stouts. So i set out to brew my own. I emailed Mikkeller and they gave me the hops used and the schedule used. I took that info and made my own version with tweaked hop schedule, but pretty close. They used cascade at 60, 15, and 5 min additions with additional centennial at 5 mins. Then they dry hopped with Columbus (CTZ). Like i said i made some slight changes, but my has turned out amazingly.

So long story short i would go for centennial and cascade combo and if you want to get adventurous go for target as your dry hop...

I've had an amazing stout hopped with chinook. I think it was dry hopped with it as well. Then again, that's exactly what they were going for.

Back