Last week to Enter the Spike Brewing 20 Gallon Sight Glass Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
A7X
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Stout

Am I the only guy who thinks stout tastes like someone boiled hotdogs into water, then threw out the hotdogs and bottled the water.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I gave my one of my sons a Lagunitas Cappuccino and he thought it tasted like cigarette ashes were in it... I loved it.. but, then again, I love stouts.

Ricmcam Likes This 
Old 02-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #3
LaFinDuMonde
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 264

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7X View Post
Am I the only guy who thinks stout tastes like someone boiled hotdogs into water, then threw out the hotdogs and bottled the water.
Damn! What stouts are you drinking??

Old 02-15-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
A7X
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFinDuMonde View Post
Damn! What stouts are you drinking??
Some stuff I picked up at a grocery store, I usually only drink ale lager or pilsner.

There was Murphy's stout, and Taddy or Tabby something, I think it was porter but also tasted like hotdogs. I really don't ever drink stout and only rarely porter.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:47 AM   #5
Klickmania
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm smelling troll. 99% of people who are unfamiliar with stouts (or even "dark" beer for that matter) will pick up coffee or chocolate flavors almost immediately. Also, stouts are ales.

IF this is serious, I'd say it will take time to acquire a taste for them. Don't give up because its one of my favorite styles. Try some American ones, like Rogue's Chocolate stout or Sierra Nevada's stout. Those are a little more robust as opposed to the thinner bodied English stouts IMO.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:34 AM   #6
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1519 Times on 1224 Posts

I certainly wouldn't condemn a whole style of beer based on a grocery store purchase, expecting the handling and turn-over of stock for anything unusual is going to be less than ideal in most such outlets. And I'd say for 98%+ of consumers, stout is definitely going to be unusual.

Fwiw, I simply love stouts, the bolder the better, and folks seem to really enjoy them, almost as much as I do. I typically end my evenings with a pour, and it's important enough that I always have a backup keg at the ready...

Cheers!

Old 02-15-2013, 05:10 AM   #7
A7X
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klickmania View Post
I'm smelling troll. 99% of people who are unfamiliar with stouts (or even "dark" beer for that matter) will pick up coffee or chocolate flavors almost immediately. Also, stouts are ales.

IF this is serious, I'd say it will take time to acquire a taste for them. Don't give up because its one of my favorite styles. Try some American ones, like Rogue's Chocolate stout or Sierra Nevada's stout. Those are a little more robust as opposed to the thinner bodied English stouts IMO.
I will try stouts with very different or unique flavors, but for now I'm afraid to drop $ on unfamiliar territory. I didn't pick up any chocolate or coffee flavors (that would be nice). Just....hotdog. After I drank that first can I couldn't shake it off.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:20 AM   #8
DodgeeDoo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know reading this will ruin stouts for someone out there.

Because of comments here, all I taste on hefe's anymore is banana. All I taste on Leinenkugel's beers is fruit loops. Haha.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:51 AM   #9
Ricmcam
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I absolutely love em, so far in my short brewing career I have only brewed ales and one braggot, but I know some are in my future.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:58 AM   #10
Demus
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've never tasted "hotdog" in any beer, but I think it's safe to say there was something seriously wrong with the one you drank. If you got a hold of some crap, stale entenman's apple pie, would you give up on grandma's masterpiece? If so, you'd be missing out right?

Quick Reply