Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Store brand beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
jdlev
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Store brand beer

Harris Teeter (a big southeastern grocery chain), is planning on selling it's own beer called barrel trolley. They're looking to scrape some profits away from actual craft brewers. I don't like the idea, but will probably try it just to see whether its good or not.

I hate this idea almost as much as BMC's 'beers'. What's next? Sam's choice ales? Kroger Hefes?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'd want to know who brewed it before I plunked down cash for a sixer, or at least taste it in the store.

It's a coin toss as it could be brewed by a craft brewer or by BMC.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
ishkochito
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This seems to be a recent trend. Walgreen's recently released plans to sell their own beer, called "1901". As The Onion put it, "1901 was a good year for really sh***y beer".

Trader Joe's and, more recently, Whole Foods have contracted the production of their own brews through small breweries. The TJ's are not bad and cheap at least. I haven't tried any of the others yet, but nothing will stop me from buying Foothills or Bell's when I want them.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlev View Post
Harris Teeter (a big southeastern grocery chain), is planning on selling it's own beer called barrel trolley. They're looking to scrape some profits away from actual craft brewers. I don't like the idea, but will probably try it just to see whether its good or not.

I hate this idea almost as much as BMC's 'beers'. What's next? Sam's choice ales? Kroger Hefes?
Kroger has its own beer. beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/892/11465

What's wrong with the idea? They obviously worked out a deal with the brewery, the "craft" brewer wants to do this.

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 07-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
bluemoose

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorRobert View Post

What's wrong with the idea? They obviously worked out a deal with the brewery, the "craft" brewer wants to do this.
Yeah, Damn those guys for having a distribution chain! If it is good beer, drink it. If it isn't, don't. We don't have any of those stores around here, but if Hannafords put out their own beer, I'd be all over it, assuming it was as good as the stuff I drink now. But hey, I'm not a label guy, I'm a good beer guy.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I've never heard any of these beers being anything more than a natural light/keystone knock off.

I think Walgreens sells for like $3 per six pack, which goes to show how much of the cost of BMC is built into marketing.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Trader Joe's has their own beer, so does costco- most of it brewed by Gordon Biersh and a couple other craft brewers (including Unibroue.)

Who cares? If the beer is good, and it's more than just a BMC light lager, then I'm all for MORE BEER IN THE MARKETPLACE.

Hell Trader Joe's Vienna Lager is one of the best representations of that style I have seen. Plus GB brews all their beers following the Reinheitsgebot, so it's not like these folks are dumping formaldehyde in their fermenters.

To me it's a good thing. It means craft beer is being taken seriously, and folks are seeing a market for it, which means more beer for everyone.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
billf2112
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

For those my age or older, remember the generic white label products. Yes there was a generic beer. Tried one once, just once and did not finish it. I doubt these companies will go that low. Hey you never know, maybe these smaller contract breweries will make a drinkable brew and allow the profits from these contract brews to be used for them to make better branded brews.

Hey, if we can brew our own, why not them!!!

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Old 07-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorRobert View Post

I haven't seen kroger's brands yet, BUT they are now offering mixed sixers of a mixture of craft and macro beer. For about 8 bucks and a deposit, I've picked up Bell's, Great lakes, and Dogfish Head there.

Edit According to the beer advocate link you posted that Kroger beer is no longer being produced.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #10
JoeyChopps
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster
I've never heard any of these beers being anything more than a natural light/keystone knock off.

I think Walgreens sells for like $3 per six pack, which goes to show how much of the cost of BMC is built into marketing.
I've had that beer and it taste pretty sh****ty but its worth 3 dollars

Quick Reply