Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Stone XIII Anniversary Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #21
carnevoodoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatuna View Post
carne, I'm also in SD but haven't gotten around to very many of our breweries. I have been to stone and like their beer, but just curious, which brewery you like the best.
What day of the week is it and how warm is it out?

This summer, I've been drinking the a lot of the blonde from Mission Brewing. It is actually a kolsch and is very nice. They make a nice alt and IPA as well.

In the last two weeks, two of my favorite brown ales have shown up on tap. Alesmith Nautical Nut Brown and Port (Pizza Port Carlsbad) Great American Brown. Alesmith also has some of my favorite beer for other times of the year, like the Speedway Stout, Wee Heavy, Grand Cru, and their IPA, Extra pale (called X), ESB, and just about evverything else they do is great.

I mentioned that beer from Port. The Port Carlsbad has the best brewer of the two PP's in town. That said, you can always find amazing beer at either location, and they have plenty of guest taps.

Ballast Point makes one of the better IPAs in the country. It is called Sculpin, and when it comes out, it sells out fast. Their standard lineup is good, but their special releases are their best bet. Sea Monster Stout is great, and Victory at Sea Imperial Porter come to mind. V@Sea has a special place in my heart.

Green Flash makes a good IPA, a better IIPA, a decent pale, and an amazing stout. Their stout is called Double Stout, and it is a big, smooth chocolate explosion. They also have Summer Saison out right now, and if you can find some, I'd go for it.

So... Alesmith, Ballast Point, Pizza Port, Green Flash, Mission... OH! Alpine! More IPAs. That's what they're best at, hands down. Duet is a simcoe/amarillo beer. Nelson is a rye IPA made with Nelson Sauvin hops from New Zealand and should be tried. Pure Hoppiness is a great IIPA, and Exponential Hoppiness is a 3xIPA that really should be tried if you like big hop flavor.

Some people love Lost Abbey, but I'm not a huge fan. They make a couple of good specialty beer, but meh.

That's a short list. Each of these places have more to be explored.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #22
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Carne, thanks for the info, I feel like I have a summer homework assignment. I live near PB and they have a spot there called the Tap Room, and carry many of our locals.

I'm going to make a list of your recommendations and start checking them off. Thanks for the post.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:52 PM   #23
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatuna View Post
Carne, thanks for the info, I feel like I have a summer homework assignment. I live near PB and they have a spot there called the Tap Room, and carry many of our locals.

I'm going to make a list of your recommendations and start checking them off. Thanks for the post.
yeah. I've yet to make it to the Tap Room. PB is not as much my scene. I spend my drinking time at Hamilton's, Blind Lady, Toronado, and O'Briens.

Quick Reply