Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > it still tastes bad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2011, 02:46 AM   #1
togodoug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default it still tastes bad

I’ve brewed 5 different recipes and they all but one has the same kind of bitter, estrigent maybe, I don’ t now what, after taste.
I have the brewing temp to mid 60s and aging at about 70. It taste bad right after fermentation at bottling and aging does nothing to help.
It seemed contamination was most likely, but I really sanitize well, I think, and all 4 are the same and similar to another guy here who also sanitize well.
The only common denominators I can come up with is possibly water, although I used about two gallons of distilled water on one.
I used the same yeast in all, Muton and Fison Ale Yeast. I dry pitch it once the wart is below 80 degrees. I’ve addresses fermenting temp with a swamp cooler, aging temp with a medical supply chiller, water by getting distilled water, sanitizing by going nuts with sanitize, is it the yeast or am I missing something? Still sanitation, water, WHAT, WHAT, HELP!
By the way, its VERY cloudy too.

These are the stesp I use.
As best I can recount.
Sanitize every thing.
Get about 2 gals of bottled water to 165 degrees.
steep grains for 30 min.
Get to boil for 60 min adding hops along the way, right at the beginning, some at end and or middle depending on recipe
Afer 60 min, add some cold water, about a gallon and some ice to get it all to about 90 degrees or so.
Pour the wort into the fermenter and add more cold water up to 5 gals.
Put the fermenter in a cooler with ice water around it.
Once below 80 degrees stir with a bug paddle to arete the wort sprinkle in the dry yeast on the wort and close it up.
keep the fermenter in the cooler surrounded by water and rotate in a frozen water bottle in the cooler, not the wort, to keep it at about 65 degrees (my first two batches was fermenting at about 80 degrees and the taste in the end was no worse. I thought the problem was temp.)
Two to three weeks later bottle it. At bottling it taste the same as after 4 weeks in the bottle.

I use extract, no added sugar, recipe kits including English Pale Ale, Irish Red, IPA and ESB.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 02:59 AM   #2
Dome555
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

What are you sanitizing with?

Is it possible that the taste is just a beer taste? Maybe try a recipe with a different yeast?

When do you notice the taste? After primarying, after bottling, etc.? Does it go away or get worse with time?

Do other people taste it? I got paranoid after a couple bad batches and was tasting nonexistent off flavors.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:22 AM   #3
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dome555 View Post
What are you sanitizing with?

Is it possible that the taste is just a beer taste? Maybe try a recipe with a different yeast?

When do you notice the taste? After primarying, after bottling, etc.? Does it go away or get worse with time?

Do other people taste it? I got paranoid after a couple bad batches and was tasting nonexistent off flavors.
At bottling it tastes bad, aging does nothing to help. Other notice it too. I use One-step sanatizer, whcih some say is not good, but others swear by it.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:26 AM   #4
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 83

post your recipe.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:54 AM   #5
Dome555
Recipes 

One-step made me throw out two batches. It might not hold up in a court of one-step's peers but I never had a problem, got convinced to try one-step by my LHBS guys, tossed two batches, switched back to star-san and haven't had a problem since.

After that many bad batches I'd toss any relatively porous (bucket) and/or cheap (tubing) materials and use PBW/oxi-clean/one-step to clean and star-san to sanitize the new stuff from the get go. The bucket might not be necessary but the price of a bucket is nothing compared to dumping another batch and wondering if there's an infection lingering in the old one or if it's an entirely separate issue.

Also, I'm sorry for your loss. Four batches is rough.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:26 AM   #6
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dome555 View Post
One-step made me throw out two batches. It might not hold up in a court of one-step's peers but I never had a problem, got convinced to try one-step by my LHBS guys, tossed two batches, switched back to star-san and haven't had a problem since.

After that many bad batches I'd toss any relatively porous (bucket) and/or cheap (tubing) materials and use PBW/oxi-clean/one-step to clean and star-san to sanitize the new stuff from the get go. The bucket might not be necessary but the price of a bucket is nothing compared to dumping another batch and wondering if there's an infection lingering in the old one or if it's an entirely separate issue.

Also, I'm sorry for your loss. Four batches is rough.
I clean and all with water after use, then "sanatize" with Oe Step befre use. Do I not understand cleaning? Why do so many folks swear by One Step?

Old 04-04-2011, 04:27 AM   #7
dstauth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Kinda sounds like what I went through. I brewed 8 straight batches and they were all pretty good for a beginner. Then having heard about the importance of water, I switched from Denver Metro tap water to bottled spring water or filtered water that you can get refills at the grocery store. The next 3 batches turned out with a hot, strong alcohol tasted that would burn the tongue. I have no idea why since some people swear by that type of water, but as soon as I switched back to tap, everything went back to normal and the beer is lovely once again.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:40 AM   #8
Dome555
Recipes 

I can't say that I've heard many people swear by it except for the guys at my LHBS and I'm forced to entertain the idea that they just wanted to get rid of it as they had a ton, weren't carrying star-san, and I'm no regular there because they're not all that local for me. Cleaning is with something like oxi-clean or pbw to get the gunk off, even the very very tiny gunk. That is so that bacteria can't hide from the sanitizer in the aforementioned gunk. I still use one-step for cleaning and haven't had any issues, it works as well as oxi-clean.

Also, what I'd rather believe about my LHBS guys is that because they're wine makers one-step works fine for them. I'm imagining it may kill enough bacteria to prevent them from taking a strong hold in there and the higher alcohol content of the wines kills off the survivors, or at least helps prevent proliferation.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:50 AM   #9
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

instead of distilled water, I would gather 5.5 gallons of tap water, boil it, let it rest/cool, add half a crushed campden tab and let it sit overnight before brew day.
I am not sure if distiled water is the way to go.

Also, adding ice to chill is not good--- because it is not sanitized water & you could pick up some nasties.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:32 AM   #10
togodoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midfielder5 View Post
instead of distilled water, I would gather 5.5 gallons of tap water, boil it, let it rest/cool, add half a crushed campden tab and let it sit overnight before brew day.
I am not sure if distiled water is the way to go.

Also, adding ice to chill is not good--- because it is not sanitized water & you could pick up some nasties.
Unless I'm wrong, don't most people brew about 2.5 gals of wort and then add 2.5 of cold tap water to it later. If so, that last 2.5 gallons would be bacteria contaminated, right? If instead of adding ice like from a bag, what if I add cold bottled water to top it off, like 2.5 gallons? Or make the last 2.5 gallons botteled distilled water and use my mineral laden tap water for the boil??

Quick Reply