Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > steeping time????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
lokiua4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default steeping time????

if i add more steeping time to my next extract recipe will it add to my flavour or do the grains pretty much give off what flavour they have after a half hour?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
Marko73
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would be careful steeping specialty grains longer than a 30 to 40 minutes. With longer steeping times, astringent tannins (polyphenols) can be extracted from the grain husks. Gives a strange off flavor. Most of the sugars and grainy goodness comes out of specialty grains in that time.

"It is sheer folly to be taken by the hand and led down the path of better brewing by someone who says that they know it all. No, it is your experience that counts most. It is your experience that will always lead you to more questions."

~Charlie Papazian

Old 12-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

I think 20 mins is plenty of time at 155F

Old 12-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko73 View Post
I would be careful steeping specialty grains longer than a 30 to 40 minutes. With longer steeping times, astringent tannins (polyphenols) can be extracted from the grain husks. Gives a strange off flavor. Most of the sugars and grainy goodness comes out of specialty grains in that time.

really?

most of us mash for 60 to 90 minutes.

so though I agree with steeping for 20 to 30 being enough, as most things not needing enzymatic activity are out. I do not agree with the warning on off flavors. It would take hours or/and higher temps.
Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 12-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
really?

most of us mash for 60 to 90 minutes.

so though I agree with steeping for 20 to 30 being enough, as most things not needing enzymatic activity are out. I do not agree with the warning on off flavors. It would take hours or/and higher temps.
Yes but there is typically a lot more water in the pot in relation to the amount of grain when you steep. I think it's a similar effect to over doing it on the sparge.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Marko73
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Point taken. The warning may have been overstated as I understand it takes hours for harsher flavors. I was just making the point that when steeping, 30 minutes is fine. WIth mashing, I know about the enzyme activity with the conversion, but I didn't want to confuse steeping and mashing.

"It is sheer folly to be taken by the hand and led down the path of better brewing by someone who says that they know it all. No, it is your experience that counts most. It is your experience that will always lead you to more questions."

~Charlie Papazian

Quick Reply