Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Starting selling your beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #11
mr x
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Maybe temporary permits would be a more effective way to go.

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #12
redneckbeagle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Start a private pub, open to members only and charge a membership fee.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:51 PM   #13
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckbeagle
Start a private pub, open to members only and charge a membership fee.
That's a curious idea, veeery interesting. My friend just moved into a house with a 2 thousand square foot garage (essentially a small wharehouse) attached, and we're starting to think some big ass fermentors would look mighty nice in all that space. Only problem is of course capitol and basically the law in general getting in the way of opening commercially.

I also had an interesting idea the other day, what about contract brewing? If your friends buy the equipment, materials, and everything else to make a few batches of beer, and you simply use your know-how and time to make it for them, is that considered distribution? Technically they're buying the materials for making beer, not the beer itself. And they can buy their own kegs/bottles, drink the beer, then bring them back with a check for the next batch (at premium prices of course )

thoughts?

mike

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 11-05-2007, 10:06 PM   #14
AlaskaBrewing
Recipes 

They have places where you buy the kits/equipment and make your own wine. They even have a warm place for the fermenter. You just show up and do all the work at the shop. Even bottling. I wonder how they do it? Might be something you could look in to.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:32 AM   #15
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

yeah, that's brew on premisis places. I was thinking of actually brewing my own recipes and bottling/kegging for others.

just an idea

mike

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 11-06-2007, 12:03 PM   #16
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Something you have to consider in any discussion about selling your brew or brewing services is that you have to comply with both federal and state regulations/requirements.

Obviously state requirements vary and I know that some of the schemes proposed in this thread are not legal in my home state.

Here is a starting point for the Federal end of the red tape:

http://ttb.gov/beer/index.shtml

http://ttb.gov/beer/qualify.shtml

Old 11-06-2007, 12:38 PM   #17
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLynchLtd
That's a curious idea, veeery interesting. My friend just moved into a house with a 2 thousand square foot garage (essentially a small wharehouse) attached, and we're starting to think some big ass fermentors would look mighty nice in all that space. Only problem is of course capitol and basically the law in general getting in the way of opening commercially.

I also had an interesting idea the other day, what about contract brewing? If your friends buy the equipment, materials, and everything else to make a few batches of beer, and you simply use your know-how and time to make it for them, is that considered distribution? Technically they're buying the materials for making beer, not the beer itself. And they can buy their own kegs/bottles, drink the beer, then bring them back with a check for the next batch (at premium prices of course )

thoughts?

mike

There may be a bit of a loophole there, but I'm guessing that the ATF and you local state are going to find a way to make this very difficult.

I see what you're saying. Technically you're not doing anything differently than a LHBS does. You charge for the ingredients and the labor for making the beer (if you can get away with doing that) and not the beer itself.

I might do that for some close friends, but I wouldn't want to advertise that I'm doing that. I think you'd be asking for some kind of raid involving a full cavity search.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:20 PM   #18
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

This is no time or place to get cute. State laws on this topic vary wildly, but they tend to have one thing in common: they are minefields for the small scale brewer. You better know what those laws are and obey them to the letter. The large scale operations are huge lobbies, and the laws and enforcement efforts reflect that.

Back when there was a brew on premises place in Houston, I remember they had to deal with some tricky regulations. They had to be fairly careful about what they suggested and how much they assisted with the brewing. The customer also had to pitch the yeast, otherwise the store was considered a contract brewer, and that brought in a whole bunch of extra red tape.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 11-06-2007, 01:40 PM   #19
Neomich
Recipes 

My advice, find some reliable and trustworthy people and just make enough to cover your own costs. Basically you'll have free beer. Anything above a few six packs and you're probably asking for lots and lots of hassle.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

Old 11-06-2007, 07:22 PM   #20
faber
Recipes 

I have a friend, the guy who taught me how to brew, who has an abundance of kegs. He has a deal with about a dozen other friends that, if they buy their own CO2, he will happily hook them up with full kegs. They pitch in by buying him sacks of barley, new brewing toys, more kegs, etc., every now and then. He's got quite the home brewery now. No one's keping track, but everyone is pretty happy with the arrangement.

Everyone is of course grateful, and they try to clean his kegs when they bring them back. (Of course, he scolds them for doing so--he wants to know everything that goes in those things.) His wife is just happy that there is now more than one place for us to drink homebrew and watch the/a game and that his hobby is self-sufficient, or very near it.

I think that is probably about as "enterprising" as a homebrewer can get legally.

Quick Reply