Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Starting the Morning Off with 7-10 Sour Ales

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 973 Times on 687 Posts
Likes Given: 2039

Default Starting the Morning Off with 7-10 Sour Ales

Heading out the door to judge at the Drunk Monk competition in Aurora, Illinois - the first session, I will be judging Sours. I assume my palate will be toasted by lunchtime.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
BogusOwnz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ill be on english brown ales.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Cool! If you don't mind posting up what you thought were the strongest or the weakest aspects of homebrewed sours. I'm entering my first couple in a few months and I'd be interested on what homebrewers do well, what they don't. I'm guessing a lack of acidity is a problem for most

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Old 03-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2177 Times on 1473 Posts
Likes Given: 2149

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmtbbq View Post
Cool! If you don't mind posting up what you thought were the strongest or the weakest aspects of homebrewed sours. I'm entering my first couple in a few months and I'd be interested on what homebrewers do well, what they don't. I'm guessing a lack of acidity is a problem for most
I'm guessing major flaws are the problem for most. I'd be interested to hear about what you taste today, too Pappers.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

Old 03-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 973 Times on 687 Posts
Likes Given: 2039

With the sours, we started with Berliner Weiss. One example was quite good, refreshing and crisp just as you would expect for the style, and it went forward to mini-BOS. One was under-carbed, this style should be effervescent, because it adds to the refreshing quality of the beer.

We tasted some Flanders Reds. A few were not very complex, which is a hallmark for the style. More specifically, their aroma promised complexity, but the flavor didn't deliver it. I suspect that those beers just needed to age a little longer to develop that complexity, but of course, I don't know how old those beers were. We tasted one example of the style that was delightful, deep dark fruits, sour and acidity balanced, some phenol pepper, layers of flavors - we also sent that one to mini-BOS.

Other judge pairs tasted some browns and gueuze, but I didn't. Our final grouping were Fruit Lambics. The first one was conceptually flawed, I think, as the brewer used Japanese Grapes as the fruit. I'm not familiar with Japanese grapes, and unfortunately I'm still not because there was no evidence of any fruit in either the aroma or flavor. The better examples of the style that we tasted all had significant fruit in the aroma and flavor.

Quick Reply