New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > starting a brew pub

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
rycov
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default starting a brew pub

hey all,

i've been talking to a friend of mine who owns a pub. their main deal is craft beer, and they have been liking the beer i make. we've been kicking around the idea of me brewing for them, but i have a question. when i see "1bbl system" does that mean i can brew one bbl of beer at a time? like 1 bbl in the boil kettle? also does anyone want to offer me advice? i'm in south carolina, so if you have any helpful info on specific ways the law works here that'd be nice too.

i realize that this will be a ton of work, and i'm ok with that. i love working, being really busy and working my ass off is the only thing that gives me a bigger boner than brewing! i also realize that i do not know enough about brewing to do it professionaly. this is still at least a few years out for me. but i'm trying to gather as much info as i can now.

i know i should be posting this on pro brewer, buti registered on there and couldnt post anyway, if you have info, lemme git it. i'm a sponge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
turtle
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Do they like it enough to be a backer? I hear it's an expensive process, among other things.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
jtakacs
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i imagine a "1 bbl system" would have to be able to boil 35-40 gallons to get 1 bbl of product.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #4
NTabb
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

rycov,

you may want to check out the live show tonight on The Brewing Network. Here's the description of tonights show. "This week, the Brewcasters will talk to BN Army soldiers who have taken their passion for brewing and turned it into their profession. Their stories will intrigue you, they will scare you, but most of all, they will inspire you.'
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Sunday-Session

Old 05-17-2011, 12:39 AM   #5
rycov
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Do they like it enough to be a backer? I hear it's an expensive process, among other things.
yes. actually it would be their brewpub. their the ones who would be buying the brewing equipment to add into they're already existent craft beer pub. they like the idea of having their own offerings. like i said i still have a lot to learn and process. this thread is just part of me trying to be prepared a head of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakacs View Post
i imagine a "1 bbl system" would have to be able to boil 35-40 gallons to get 1 bbl of product.
thats what i was thinking. i just keep reading that its best not to start smaller than 7 bbls, and (while i know 1 bbl is 31 gallons) i'm not really sure where the 7 bbls is coming from. (is that one batch? seems like a lot to be the minimum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTabb View Post
rycov,

you may want to check out the live show tonight on The Brewing Network. Here's the description of tonights show. "This week, the Brewcasters will talk to BN Army soldiers who have taken their passion for brewing and turned it into their profession. Their stories will intrigue you, they will scare you, but most of all, they will inspire you.'
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Sunday-Session
thank you very much NTabb!

thanks guys, i know that this will be hard, and that it will take years for me, and a ton of work. i'm looking forward to getting my ass kicked. thanks for the info and for not just telling me it wont work!
Quote:

Old 05-17-2011, 12:41 AM   #6
rycov
Recipes 

another question; i have seen that seven bbls is the recomended minimum for a brewery. is that for a brew pub too? or is the minimum for that smaller since they have income from the restaurant and other beers too?

Quote:

Old 05-17-2011, 01:12 AM   #7
itsme6582
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

7 bbls seems to be about the magic number where cost and production match up. There is a really good story by a member who started a brewery with a 2 bbls system very cheaply (under 100 grand I think). The key was the partners all had skills that covered very expensive aspects of starting a brewery (like one was a lawyer). They quickly stepped up to about a 7 bbl system. I'm not sure it's complete yet though.

Found the thread:
Don't Try This at Home
This is one of my favorite one's on here. I might have to go through and read it again myself.

I think there's a part 4 too. There's probably a link somewhere in the thread.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:17 AM   #8
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I'm not a pro but I'd say the 'system' is how much you can brew at one time. If you keep it going 24/7 you can brew more you'll just need more fermenters, storage and packaging.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:23 AM   #9
autoferret
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If your looking for a used system. The guys at orlando brewing have a 10bbl complete thats for sale. They also might be able to help you with any questions you may have.

Primary: Local Honey Mead;
Secondary: Merlot;
Keg: "Experimental" American Ale; Kinda Nutty Brown Ale;
Bottled: "Oatie the Oatmeal Stout"; NB Saison; "666" by request; NB 115th Dream hopbursted;EdWort's Apfelwein
Up Coming: Imperial Oatmeal Stout; House IPA

Old 05-17-2011, 02:28 AM   #10
NWMOBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Have you read brewing up a business? He started a brewery and not a brewpub, but you area sponge, and thats an ocean. My dad the other day asked me if we could start a brewstore, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegtoe View Post
my recomendation: Have an understanding SWMBO

Quick Reply