Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Starter without malt extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2010, 03:37 AM   #1
ardentfrost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Starter without malt extract

Doing my first AG beer in a couple days. As such, I forgot to buy some malt extract for a starter

So, what do I do? I need to make the starter tonight at minimum. Can I just use table sugar? If so, 1/2c sugar to 2c water as in DME?

Alternatively, I have two bags of priming sugar (dextrose) 3/4c each. Would it be better to use one of those?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 03:58 AM   #2
waldoar15
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Mash some 2 row base malt. Some people here say you can go to China Mart and get Malto Goya and use that, but I've never tried it.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:00 AM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 17

If you have an activator pack or white labs vial, I'd rather pitch it as it is than do a starter with pure sugar. You'd have more yeast, but they'd be acclimated to the wrong type of sugar and have trouble with maltose. I've heard about people using Malto Goya though. Just have to decarbonate it first.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 01-30-2010, 04:02 AM   #4
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I've used Malta Goya and Malta India successfully in making starters, as well as bottle culturing. And, don't tell anyone, but I've had to make a small starter a couple of times using sugar. Yep, works in a pinch and beats under-pitching, IMO. Cat may be correct though, in that it may not like maltose as much as it should...

Old 01-30-2010, 04:13 AM   #5
waldoar15
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barc View Post
I've used Malta Goya and Malta India successfully in making starters, as well as bottle culturing. And, don't tell anyone, but I've had to make a small starter a couple of times using sugar. Yep, works in a pinch and beats under-pitching, IMO. Cat may be correct though, in that it may not like maltose as much as it should...
Glad to know that the Malto Goya really works. I usually try to squeak out an extra quart or two from the mash tun, cool and freeze it for later use though. I'm not much for buying DME any more.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:20 AM   #6
ardentfrost
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barc View Post
How do you use the malta goya? Do you dilute it? Boil it?

Old 01-30-2010, 04:29 AM   #7
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

boil it and dilute it 2:1 (goya : water) because the OG of goya is 1.060 IME. stir the crap out of it while boiling to decarbonate.

works like a champ, just make sure to cold crash and decant; especially if you are pitching into a lighter beer.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:43 AM   #8
oldschool
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

some organic places also sell malt extract in a jar...not sure why but it's REALLY effing expensive.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:59 AM   #9
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardentfrost View Post
How do you use the malta goya? Do you dilute it? Boil it?
Depends... Sometimes I will dilute it with water, other times I won't, especially if I'm planning on pitching it into a higher gravity wort. I typically don't boil it, though. It is already cooked and as sterile as it is going to be, IMO. I don't know what the benefit of boiling it would be, actually... It will decarb on its own, just open a little and put it into the fridge a couple of days, maybe add a little piece of plastic wrap over it if you're concerned. Or you can put it into a large container and shake it up then vent and repeat.

Malta Goya and India are pretty dark so you should definitely decant if you are planning on a light wort. I typically decant on any of my starters. I figure why add flavors to a wort I've spent so much time on.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #10
ghack
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I boil the dilution water, 10 min or so, then add the Goya and boil for a couple of minuets more to de-carbonate it. Crash cool it in an ice bath, and it's good to go.

Quick Reply