Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Starter & washed dry yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
Keith Hartley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Starter & washed dry yeast

Hi all,
I've washed yeast from a batch of Brewhouse red ale. It was a 14g Coopers dry yeast, I know the dry yeast is cheap but decided to try it anyways.
They say not to use a starter with dry yeast, so is it neccesary to use a starter with this Coopers yeast I've washed?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

i would suggest it because its a bit different when you wash it. Essentially your going to want to start it and make sure the starter doesnt smell weird and that your viability is good.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

yes you need to build a starter. That advice is for commercial dry yeast that has plenty of the goodness built in. You now have a liquid yeast that was derived from a dry strain. It's the same strain, but it does not carry the factory reserves that it once had.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
Keith Hartley
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies guys.

So because this yeast was already used once & washed it just doesn't have the amount of yeasties to do a proper ferment without the starter?

Old 10-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2732 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I disagree...if you are storing washed dry yeast in a solution (like in a jar) it is no longer dry yeast, but is now liquid yeast....So I would use a starter.

Both biermuncher and I harvest US 05....I don't know what he does with it, but I treat it like a liquid yeast culture and do a starter.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-18-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Hartley View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

So because this yeast was already used once & washed it just doesn't have the amount of yeasties to do a proper ferment without the starter?
No, it's as Revvy said- that it's not longer a dry yeast. Dry yeast is specially prepared to be ready to go, and it's much more tolerant of temperature variations, and also usually pitched as an 11 gram package. Now that the dry yeast is liquid yeast, it should be treated as such.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2732 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
No, it's as Revvy said- that it's not longer a dry yeast. Dry yeast is specially prepared to be ready to go, and it's much more tolerant of temperature variations, and also usually pitched as an 11 gram package. Now that the dry yeast is liquid yeast, it should be treated as such.

It's also no longer "virginal" like it was in the package, it's no longer necessarily a "pure" strain, and it also stressed out, so that high cell count may no longer be all viable. So using a starter will guarantee you have enough happy cells...

Now having said that, without a microscope this is only conjecture on my part. Since dry has a higher cell count to begin with there could already be more than enough in your mason jar to begin with...But imho, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply