New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > starsan vs iodophor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
Hopstep
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default starsan vs iodophor

I just got done brewing a DIPA and am a little worried about the faint smell of iodophor on everything. Should I rinse iodophor with water or just let it dry. I did follow the dilution recommendation but it still seems to have a smell. Would anyone recommend starsan instead?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have a septic system and gave away my quart bottle of Iodophor and switched to Starsan since it is septic safe. I've never had any problems with it and use it to sanitize all sorts of surfaces. It's great stuff. I highly recommend it.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
lx302
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstep View Post
Should I rinse iodophor with water or just let it dry. I did follow the dilution recommendation but it still seems to have a smell.
I too am curious about this. I did read though, you shouldn't have to rinse, just let it dry, but the smell did bother me and was wondering if the smell would permiate the beer.
So I stick with bleach as my sanitizer and never had a problem.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 110 Posts

i use nothing but iodophor.

let it dry...you'd have to use a very high concentration and leave it wet for the flavor to get into the beer.

EDIT: as long as i use the right concentration, i don't even let it dry completely every time. i just shake out the water and hold it upside down for a little while. works fine.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 11-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3453

They both work equally well, they ARE BOTH NO RINSE at the recommended dillution AND NEITHER affect the flavor of the beer, even if you smell the iodophor, it won't affect the beer......

They both have their pluses and minuses, their fans and their detractors...AND there's a TON of information on each of them on here...My suggestion is rather than solicit opinions, do some research on both of them and make up your mind...

Like I said there's a ton of info on here, a little search will net all the info you need...

Because ultimately between the two, any issue of what is better is going to be PURELY a matter of opinion...Both of them are no rinse, both are fantastic, and BOTH are FDA approved (in fact they are the ONLY FDA approved sanitizers sold in brewing shops, any of the others are not FDA approvd, andusually called clensers instead) ...you too will have to form your own opinion.

I'll start you on your journey with this thread...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/

There's a link in there to the basic brewing podcasts, they did two shows back to back one on iodophor, and one on starsan...those are great places to start...because you will learn tips and tricks for using both...and you will probably find all the answers you need to make an informed opinion...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 11-22-2008 at 08:01 PM.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Guys, starsan and iodophor are bot WET CONTACT sanitizers....if you let them dry you are only getting half the job out of them, you are only killing what's already on them...but if any micro organisms touch them after the fact, the nasty will render the object no longer santized...if the surface is wet, then the bugs are toast....

The motto for them is "If you let them dry, the bugs no longer die...".

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-22-2008, 08:11 PM   #7
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 110 Posts

that's why you leave them upside down to drip dry, so nothing drops inside them.

carboys can be put inside one of these guys and sit around until you're ready to pour your wort:

CARBOY DRAINER @ Williams Brewing

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 11-22-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
that's why you leave them upside down to drip dry, so nothing drops inside them.

carboys can be put inside one of these guys and sit around until you're ready to pour your wort:

CARBOY DRAINER @ Williams Brewing

+1 on this!!!!!!

Old 11-23-2008, 12:41 AM   #9
BrianTheBrewer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I back Starsan 100% stuff is great

"Good people drink good beer" - Hunter S. Thompson

http://brianthebrewer.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/BrianTheBrewer
http://www.chugsd.com
http://www.quaff.org/

Old 11-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #10
GrantLee63
Recipes 

I too have a septic system and I use Iodophor. Not a good idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
I have a septic system and gave away my quart bottle of Iodophor and switched to Starsan since it is septic safe. I've never had any problems with it and use it to sanitize all sorts of surfaces. It's great stuff. I highly recommend it.

Es freut mich mit Euch Allen brüderlich zu trinken ! Ein Prosit der Gemütlichkeit !

Quick Reply