Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Split 10 Gallon Diacetyl Rest Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
Morkin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Split 10 Gallon Diacetyl Rest Question

Here is what I got.

I split 10 gallon batch of American Lite Lager into a 6.5 and 6 gallon fermenter. I then pitched starters into both of them separately.

I was quite inebriated when I pitched. I swirled the starters well I thought, but the fermentor on the left took off and the one on the right took off about 36 hours after the first one.

My question comes in the diacetyl rest. I'm fermenting at 50 and pitched at about 58-60, so I want to make sure all of the diacetyl is eaten up.

But, the first fermentor is going to be done faster then the one on the right, and if that is the case, when should I raise my temperature? When the first one is almost done, or should I wait for the second one to be almost done before turning up the temperature?

I've done lagers before, but this is the first with a split batch 10 gallon. Any suggestions? THanks.

Drinking - Germann Pumpkin Ale
Primary- Schwarzbier
Secondary - Nothing
Bottled - Gose, Eisbock
Kegged - Nothing
Next Batch -
Planning - Berliner Weisse

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Morkin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

picture didn't post though sorry

Drinking - Germann Pumpkin Ale
Primary- Schwarzbier
Secondary - Nothing
Bottled - Gose, Eisbock
Kegged - Nothing
Next Batch -
Planning - Berliner Weisse

Old 12-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I seem to remember reading that the diacetyl rest is more of a window than an exact time. I think you should wait until the second batch is hitting that window to warm up both and it will be fine. The yeast can still clean up diacetyl a little later than the optimal time, so long as it's done before dropping to layering temps. But you may do better to wait for confirmation because I can't recall where I read that and I may be pulling It outta.... Who knows where.

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Quick Reply