Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Spent Grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #11
BiscayneBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/spen...cookies-87097/

Et Tu, Brew Day?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Yeah we've been doing and discussing it it on here for years-Spent Grain? Make Your Best Friend Cookies!

More than likely they got the idea from forums like this...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #13
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

ATM I dry 4 cookie sheets worth from each batch in the oven at the lowest setting. Once dry I put them into a cheap blender I bought specifically for this, and reduce them to a coarse dust/powder.

Then I am able to sub in some of this spent grain flour into all sorts of stuff like: crackers, pizza dough, pretzel dough, bread dough, dog treats, whatever I would use flour in. Almost all of those have recipes for them if you put "spent grain" in front of what you are looking for you should come up with plenty of threads.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #14
twanger1994
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
My dogs love spent grains. I've made treats for them many times, but they're just as happy to eat straight from the mash tun (this is probably too much fiber, so be ready to walk them).
Quote:
Originally Posted by subervia View Post
I've been feeding my dogs, friends dogs, mom's dogs spent grains for close to year. I asked my vet and he didn't see anything bad about it. The only thing I have found is that they do help make the dog "regular".
"Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." (or beer)
(Mark Twain)

Thanks for all the input. Ordering about 40lbs for a few batches shortly. I'll be sure to try some of the recipes.... Thanks again all

Old 09-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #15
LambChop4Prez
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm surprised this hasn't been said yet in this thread, buy it bears repeating every time our canine companions get brought up. NEVER let you dog eat the hops. It WILL kill them. Grains are fine tho. My sisters and a few friends have dogs and I always make them treats with my grains. They all love me for it.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #16
TromboneGuy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah, I buy pretty good food for my dogs, and even then, barley is in the top 6 or 7 ingredients listed. It's OK for the dogs.

NO hops, though. There's a risk (not even close to 100%, but a risk) that your dog could have a genetic condition where eating hops will knock out their ability to regulate their body temperature. They can overheat and die.

Last batch of beer I made, I baked something like 5 cookie sheets full of dog treats and barely even made a dent in the 10 1/2 pounds of used grains. (Well, more like 20 pounds with the water weight...)

Quick Reply