The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Spending more on craft brews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2011, 12:42 AM   #11
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 835 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 1103

I actually have to disagree, shocker

I buy WAY less beer. Every-so-often (3 months?), I will stop at a store that I know has good beer, and I will drop $50-100 in one shot, but other than that, I buy beer MAYBE once a month, and IF that much, it's only a 6-pack.

I have so much beer at home, and I don't like getting too backed up, that there's just no reason for me to buy beer on a regular basis. I will only pick something up if I specifically want to try that beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #12
sdillow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121
Being from PA, we havent had much in terms of bottle shops to buy 6ers and singles, but recently there has been a push to allow grocery stores to carry beer. The Giant Eagle right across the street from work just upgraded their beer selection to include about 50 varieties of singles/bombers. So far I have been there 4 times in the last two weeks picking up a bomber or 3 of something I havent tried. I can see this getting ugly fairly quickly.
I hear you. A client to the south enables me to get a once a month run to a Maryland store where I can pick up a variety of sixers at reasonable prices. Here in PA I'd have to buy whole cases at higher prices. At least my project lasts for another few months.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #13
ryandlf
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I admit that I buy less beer from the grocery store than I used to as well, although I almost always pick up a 6 pack of something when I want some motivation for the next weeks brew. I do however find myself dragging the family to specific restaurants almost every week though because I know they have local beers on tap. I'd say I spend about as much in microbrew now as I used to in Coors for the month, and I spend about that same amount on homebrew ingrediants. Throw in all the equipment upgrades and i'm way over budget, but shhhh don't tell my wife i'm not building a savings account with all my savings

On-Tap:
Highland Oatmeal Porter Clone
Jungle Love APA

Old 04-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #14
downtown3641
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 40 Posts

I'm just getting started with homebrewing. My craft beer budget is already pretty large. But, it's split pretty evenly between trying new stuff and purchasing beers with which I'm already familiar to have around and drink casually. Hopefully, the homebrewing will eat into some of the tried-and-true beer budget.

Kegged: Dusseldorf Altbier, Mild
Up next: Belgian Wheat/Rye, Kolsch

Old 04-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #15
smithnick0
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I always have a 1/2 barrel keg of a domestic on tap, then i randomly buy craft beers to try out, plus my own Seems to work well for me

Old 04-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #16
ChillWill
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Living in the UK leaves me little choice, we don't really get '6ers' here. Only the same boring english mild/pale/bitter or mass produced Belgians (Chimmay etc).

So I've found myself spending a lot less since homebrewing, but as others do, I'll occasionally do a big online order for a selection (to try and justify postage costs). My most recent purchase was a few bottles of Southern Tier Imperial Choklat that found its way to UK shores... I was in the states the first year it came out and fell in love with it, but it ran out so quickly!

Old 12-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #17
carlrobinhood
Recipes 

As my point of view Homebrewing is more expensive, because I found myself spending more money on craft brewing, beer, my taste has improved. Research? A higher standard? There are many "OOO, looks very interesting," These days, the beer store.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #18
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlrobinhood View Post
As my point of view Homebrewing is more expensive, because I found myself spending more money on craft brewing, beer, my taste has improved. Research? A higher standard? There are many "OOO, looks very interesting," These days, the beer store.
Well said.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 12-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #19
noodledancer77
Recipes 

As my nearest brew store is 30 miles away, I don't buy alot, but when I do, I hear about from the wife. I'm a year in and making good beer, but not as good as the breweries. I used to have some beast light every now and again, but that's getting harder to do.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #20
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 592

As my taste changes I do find that I am buying way more expensive beers, but I am also enjoying them more. I am more happy now with one bottle of DFH Pangea then I ever was with a 12-pack on a Friday night. Call it research or whatever you will, it definitely has gone up in my case.

Quick Reply