Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Speidel Plastic Tanks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #371
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Got my first batch in my 30L and it's fermenting away. Not much airlock activity - I assume from the amount of head space still filling up with co2. Do you guys see that it takes a day or so to fill up the head space before the airlock lifts up? My orange part is all the way down in the connecting portion of the air lock.

Other questions:

When you go to transfer from the Spiedel to bottling bucket or keg, do you just open your spigot and let it run through tubing into the bucket/keg or do you let a little run off first to reduce trub to the bucket/keg? Haven't had a spigot on any of the carboys I've used before and since I'm kegging I was just thinking of going straight to the keg no run off and just purging the first bit from the keg when it's tapped. Sound good?

Also what kind of tubing are you guys using to connect to the spigot? Standard racking tubing stretched over the nozzle? And do you spray the spigot with sanitizer prior to letting the beer flow out?

Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #372
FarmerTed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 120

I've found the airlock activity to be muted-the bubbles that come out of the bubbler are huge. During my last fermentation, that finished in 3 days, I had a max bubble rate of maybe 30/minute. With a carboy and 3-piece airlock, I would probably have seen something crazy like 5 bubbles/second (too fast to count).

But, make sure it's sealed properly. The first time I used it, I had the cap in upside down for some stupid reason, and saw no bubbling until I put it in right.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #373
triangulum33
Whenever it feels right!

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I briefly open the spigot all the way to blast out any yeast or trub.
The tubing I use is a tight fit, but it still can suck bubbles in (and possibly oxidize the beer), so I put a hose clamp on.
I twist the spigot up and spray SS all over and in it before racking.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Meine Keezer
241 Likes This 
Old 06-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #374
triangulum33
Whenever it feels right!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangulum33 View Post
The big thin gasket that goes in the lid has been stretching and will probably need to be replaced on both my 30L.
I sent an email to Morebeer to see if they have them available.
I got a reply from MoreBeer about the replacement O-Rings:

"Hello Chris,

Thank you for your reply. The part number for the gasket will be FE711. We do not yet have them available in stock. They were supposed to arrive last week so they should be available on the website shortly.
"

Nice to know they will stock them!

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Meine Keezer

Old 06-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #375
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Right on, thanks you guys. Fermenter is sealed, but the air lock is stagnant and there is a good 2" of krausen. Not to worried about it though, esp with your response Ted.

I will definitely flush some trub out before I transfer, thanks!

Old 06-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #376
triangulum33
Whenever it feels right!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 241 View Post
...but the air lock is stagnant and there is a good 2" of krausen.
Your right. Besides curiosity, dont draw any conclusions about fermentation based how much airlock activity is visible.

― Ernest Hemingway

Meine Keezer

Old 06-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #377
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Has anyone put gallon marks on the 60L fermenter yet?

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 07-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #378
k-ale
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Speidel mark up/graduation

Good point about marking the Speidel. I recently purchased a 60L and used it for the first time yesterday. I was surprised to find no graduation markings on the outside of the tank. It wouldn't have been too difficult for the manufacturers to do and would be a nice addition to the fermenter.

Question: I washed my tank twice, first with Borax and then with oxyclean. Triple rinse both times. I mixed a 5 gallon batch of Star San and there was a nasty sulfur smell. I transferred the solution to a 5 gallon bucket and no smell. It was definitely a reaction with the Speidel. Has anyone else experienced this?

I let it air dry before racking 12 gallons of American brown into it and the smell seemed to be gone but it was a little worrisome. This morning it is bubbling away with no off smells coming from the air lock. Overall, it seems like a nice vessel.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #379
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-ale
Good point about marking the Speidel. I recently purchased a 60L and used it for the first time yesterday. I was surprised to find no graduation markings on the outside of the tank. It wouldn't have been too difficult for the manufacturers to do and would be a nice addition to the fermenter.

Question: I washed my tank twice, first with Borax and then with oxyclean. Triple rinse both times. I mixed a 5 gallon batch of Star San and there was a nasty sulfur smell. I transferred the solution to a 5 gallon bucket and no smell. It was definitely a reaction with the Speidel. Has anyone else experienced this?

I let it air dry before racking 12 gallons of American brown into it and the smell seemed to be gone but it was a little worrisome. This morning it is bubbling away with no off smells coming from the air lock. Overall, it seems like a nice vessel.
No smell from star San and speidel. Maybe check your stars San ph

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 07-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #380
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-ale View Post

I get that smell but it isn't just with the Speidel. I read earlier that someone noticed a smell when they used hot water but not when they used warm water. Give that a shot.

Quick Reply