New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Speidel Plastic Tanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #361
rajun50
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by arborman View Post
I've got two of these, 30l sizes. In another thread, someone commented on having to much head space would result in oxidation after he saw a picture of mine with 6 gallons of beer in it. Is this something to consider when using these tanks?
For normal fermentation times in primary there would be no oxidation issues. Primary fermentation fills all the headspace with CO2, so I don't know where he pulled that from. People ferment 10 gallons in the 60L Speidels all the time with no problem.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #362
Gameface

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by arborman View Post
I've got two of these, 30l sizes. In another thread, someone commented on having to much head space would result in oxidation after he saw a picture of mine with 6 gallons of beer in it. Is this something to consider when using these tanks?
I make 10g batches in the 60L and yeah, there's a lot of headroom. For that reason if I want to store longer term I transfer to kegs and bulk condition in those with enough CO2 to seal the lid.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #363
arborman

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajun50

For normal fermentation times in primary there would be no oxidation issues. Primary fermentation fills all the headspace with CO2, so I don't know where he pulled that from. People ferment 10 gallons in the 60L Speidels all the time with no problem.
That's what I thought, not sure where he came up with that info. How much do you guys fit in he 30l? The size seems so deceiving when filled. Just filled with 6 gallons, and it seems like there's room for at least 3 more gallons. Pc below is 6 gallons

image-2331278978.jpg

Old 06-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #364
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface

It'll fit over 15 gallons of liquid, but if you're talking about fermenting 15 might be pushing it unless you've got a big-bore blow off tube.

I use an extra spigot on the lid as a blow-off tube (that can be closed) but the opening is small and if krausen and leaf hops reached that it would plug up very easily. I don't use the lid strap specifically to give it a place to blow if that ever happens.
Thanks for the info. I'm planing 30 gallons, 15 gallon in each 60l I bought

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 06-09-2013, 03:18 AM   #365
FarmerTed

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 241 View Post
Hey Ted what do you mean by this?
My fermenter came with a solid plastic cap. After I'd cooled the beer to about 50, which doesn't usually result in air-suckback into the fermenter (in my experience), I swapped out the bubbler for the solid cap and tightened it real good. Then I cooled down to 40 F to let the beer condition without having air suck back in as the CO2 in the head-space is re-absorbed by the cold beer. So far, it appears to be working great.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #366
geer537
I'm a member

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by arborman
How much do you guys fit in he 30l? The size seems so deceiving when filled. Just filled with 6 gallons, and it seems like there's room for at least 3 more gallons.
Yup- 9 gallons will fit but you'll need a blow off tube. I marked mine

image-2960871466.jpg

Old 06-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #367
arborman

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by geer537

Yup- 9 gallons will fit but you'll need a blow off tube. I marked mine
Sweet! What's up with them being labeled as 30L? That's like 7.9 gallons. I think I'll try an 8.5 gallon brew, see how that works. I'd like to utilize more of the space in these

Old 06-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #368
triangulum33
Whenever it feels right!

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The big thin gasket that goes in the lid has been stretching and will probably need to be replaced on both my 30L.
I sent an email to Morebeer to see if they have them available.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Meine Keezer

Old 06-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #369
clarksc4
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 9 Posts

I'm planning on getting one of these next month for my birthday, which happens to fall on a 4 day weekend for me, so I'm planning on brewing at least twice. What is the delivery time like for these?

Old 06-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #370
Mb2658
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksc4
I'm planning on getting one of these next month for my birthday, which happens to fall on a 4 day weekend for me, so I'm planning on brewing at least twice. What is the delivery time like for these?
If they are in stock, they show up fairly quickly. I wanna say mine arrived in a few days. I live pretty much smack dab in the middle of the country. You will be really pleased with them. They are my go to fermenters now. The 30L is a great size. The 60L is a little more difficult to move around when it is full and you will need some help getting it out of a freezer fermentation chamber when it is full.

Quick Reply