Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Speidel Plastic Tanks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 11:16 PM   #331
Jipper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey Limulus,

What a beer to christen it with! Hope the brew and fermentation go well for you. These things shouldn't ever be tainted by hops or malt, so don't be afraid to dry hop the heck out of it!

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 12:42 AM   #332
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipper View Post
Hey Limulus,

What a beer to christen it with! Hope the brew and fermentation go well for you. These things shouldn't ever be tainted by hops or malt, so don't be afraid to dry hop the heck out of it!

Cheers!
I received my Pliny from you guys a couple of weeks ago. Even knowing the beer, I was still just a little surprised to see all those hops. I'll be in the Bay area next week and I'll be buying a few bottles while there. I may even try to ship some home.
Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-16-2013, 03:35 AM   #333
Budzien
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I checked more beer yesterday and they were not available. I got on the email waiting list. I checked today and they're available! I never received an email. i just checked, and they are currently available, FYI. I can't wait for mine to arrive.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #334
Jipper
Recipes 

Hey All,

These Speidel fermenters are all in stock and available now! I don't know how long they're going to last though, so don't kill the messenger - just wanted to make a quick mention of it because I know these have been out of stock for awhile.

Cheers!

Old 04-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #335
geer537
I'm a member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Here is a breakdown of the 30L. Looks like we can do 8 gl pretty comfortably in these. To bad I don't do 8 gl batches... I'll be doing an IIPA tomorrow so 5 gl is perfect with all of the extra hop additions and a high OG

image-232346309.jpg  

Old 04-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #336
arborman
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I just did my first brew yesterday with my new Speidel 30L fermentor. I did not think in advance about my usual method of straining my wort while pouring it into my buckets with a 5 gal. paint strainer. Well, I found a 5 gallons strainer fits nicely inside the speidel, and you can attach it around the handles.... But, after it fills up, it is so full of gunk that you cannot pull it thru the opening. I panicked! I had a bag full of crap stuck inside my fermentor! Luckily, I had a bucket of star san right next to me, which I dunked my hands in, and proceeded to wring out the bag of gunk like a wet sponge... Eventually, I got it to come out. I was, and still am, a little worried I may have infected my brew. Thankfully, I had a fat starter, and fermentation began within 3 hours of pitching.

Anyone have any other ways of straining into these? The method I used yesterday clearly is not the way to go. I thought that next time I would go into a regular bucket as usual, then pour into the speidel. Just another piece of gear to clean out, but I cant think of another way to make it happen

Any suggestions?

Old 04-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #337
Budzien
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I used my funnel and my fine mesh kitchen strainer. Worked great.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:09 AM   #338
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I used my strainer into my bucket fermenter them poured that into my Speidel. It also helps to aerate the wort so it's got a double benefit. Another step but works for me.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #339
Derp
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I recently received 2 60L Speidels and I can't wait to try them out.

With my Better Bottles, I usually cold crashed them for a few days, carefully lifted them on top of my chest freezer and then forced the beer into kegs using a couple pounds of CO2 pressure into the BB. I assume the Speidels will weigh close to 90 pounds, so lifting them out of the freezer will be a back breaker. Any lift-free suggestions as to how I could get beer from a Speidel sitting on the bottom of the freezer into a corny also sitting on the bottom of the freezer? Siphoning doesn't seem like it would work and I'm not sure that I can pressurize the Speidel enough to push beer into the keg. Maybe some sort of pump?

Old 04-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #340
Jipper
Recipes 

Hey Derp,

Glad you've received your fermenters! A pump might be your best option, and the H305 or H308 might be your best option. I've also seen people hookup a pulley system where they attach a couple of hooks to the handles and tug on a rope, but not sure how feasible that would be for you.

I would suggest against pressurizing these, as I'm uncertain how much pressure they could actually hold. I'm guessing that they'd be fine at a couple PSI, but again don't recommend this. If you do find a good way to transfer make sure to let us know though; I'm sure you're not the only one!

Cheers!

Quick Reply