Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Speidel Plastic Tanks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #291
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 11

They're sturdy. Well sturdy enough to move 14gal of beer around. However I am not doing much more than moving it about 2-3 feet if I do move the fermentor.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #292
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts

Received my little 1.2L Speidel today. It holds 3.5 gal right up to rim and if you let it drain out it leaves 1 qt which should be just about right to keep the left over yeast and trub out.

Concerns I have, the top lid has scratches on the inside and don't know if it will hold any nasties.

The handle is in the way if I were to put an air lock on top. I'd have to remove the air lock before moving the fermenter around. I'm thinking maybe not even use an air lock and just loosen the top a bit? In theory the co2 blanket should keep it safe right?

100_1791.jpg   100_1794.jpg   100_1795.jpg  

Old 03-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #293
scoundrel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have one of my two 60l rockin' with 10 gallons of my house IPA. It just fits in my fermenter and it does bug me a bit that I can't see in like with my better bottles but with a single yeast pitch and the ability to rack directly to a keg is awesome.

I modified the stock cap to take a thermowell and a standard airlock. So far so good.

photo-mar-06-4-40-36-pm.jpg   photo-mar-06-4-41-01-pm.jpg   photo-mar-06-4-41-33-pm.jpg  

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 03-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #294
jaylaforte
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I recently received my 60L Speidel and am struggling with how to remove the beer from my fermentation chamber. I figure with a 10 gallon batch, there's no way I'm lifting the Speidel out of the chest freezer without a very strong friend or a pulley system of sorts. Would it be smarter to try and pressurize the fermenter to push out the beer (will it take 3psi well?) or is it possible to hook up a pump to the spigot to pull it out? Thanks for any ideas!

Old 03-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #295
Brewindruid
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylaforte View Post
I recently received my 60L Speidel and am struggling with how to remove the beer from my fermentation chamber. I figure with a 10 gallon batch, there's no way I'm lifting the Speidel out of the chest freezer without a very strong friend or a pulley system of sorts. Would it be smarter to try and pressurize the fermenter to push out the beer (will it take 3psi well?) or is it possible to hook up a pump to the spigot to pull it out? Thanks for any ideas!
I was thinking just that, why not a CO2 push, surely these would stand up to the pressure needed to move the beer? Really only one way to tell for sure!
I am still wondering what makes these any better than a modified, larger bucket? Cost/benefit still eludes me.
Two mods I was pondering was a caster base for moving it around, and and additional hole in the lid for an aeration/co2 loop in the bottom?

Old 03-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #296
scoundrel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewindruid View Post
I was thinking just that, why not a CO2 push, surely these would stand up to the pressure needed to move the beer? Really only one way to tell for sure!
I am still wondering what makes these any better than a modified, larger bucket? Cost/benefit still eludes me.
Two mods I was pondering was a caster base for moving it around, and and additional hole in the lid for an aeration/co2 loop in the bottom?
It's alot of little things that I like. First, handles. 10 Gallons is heavy and handles that support the full weight is nice. There are also handles on the bottom for pouring. Second, the bottom is tapered to the sides which allows the yeast to settle away from the racking port. Third, the locking mechanism at the top creates a really nice seal.

In all fairness though I had a gift certificate so my 60l cost as much as a better bottle.

Brewindruid Likes This 
Old 03-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #297
Brewindruid
Recipes 

Thanks Scoundrel I have been looking at these since they first got them, kept hemming and hawing over them. Might be able to afford a conical by the time there is a decent supply!

Old 03-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #298
geer537
I'm a member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have the 30 liter and am getting my first use out of it. So far so good but 5 gallons looks like only half of the container. Can these things hold a lot more than 7.5 gallons or are my sight glasses' measurements way off?

image-1341362542.jpg

Old 03-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #299
Brewindruid
Recipes 

I bet if the calibration of the sight glass doesn't take into account the shape of the bottom it will be off. Did you check to see what the dead space was on it?

Old 03-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #300
scoundrel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewindruid View Post
Thanks Scoundrel I have been looking at these since they first got them, kept hemming and hawing over them. Might be able to afford a conical by the time there is a decent supply!
Ya seriously. It takes forever and had I not received them with the last shipment I would have cancelled.

Quick Reply