Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Speidel Plastic Tanks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #21
doctorRobert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak View Post
it's not better than a bucket as far as fermenting, i'm trying to see if it can be used as both a fermenter and a bottling bucket which would eliminate one step when i bottle. this tank cost me $45 and a 7.9 gallon bucket is $15.99 plus $5 for the lid. (northern brewer has the same 7.9 gallon bucket for $22.99 without the lid, who knows what they're thinking)
My point was that you can add a spigot to a regular bucket and do the same thing for half the price. You'll have the same challenges and issues and there are reasons why people often dont do that currently.

My biggest question for you, in skipping the bottling bucket, is how are you mixing the priming sugar?

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #22
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 66

These look like my old Coopers fermenting bucket. Spigot, handles, large screw on lid.... I think my Coopers' capacity is something like 30L. It worked great until I moved on into fermenting in Sanke's.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 11-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #23
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorRobert View Post
My point was that you can add a spigot to a regular bucket and do the same thing for half the price. You'll have the same challenges and issues and there are reasons why people often dont do that currently.

My biggest question for you, in skipping the bottling bucket, is how are you mixing the priming sugar?
my bottling bucket always leaks which is something i think could be fixed but it's worth $45 to me for an off the shelf solution. the design of the spigot on this tank is more leak proof than my bottling bucket. as for priming i'll just pour in the priming solution as usual, it's the first thing i do then i let it sit while i get everything else ready.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #24
triangulum33
Whenever it feels right!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For me this means getting rid of the blow off tube, racking cane and much easier cleaning.
I fretted about maybe replacing my carboy's with buckets, but I just kinda fell in love with these. They look to be high quality and lots of nice features.
Prolly spent way more than I shouldve on fermenters....but hey....lots of guys have $$$ in conicals.

AND THEY'RE GERMAN.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Meine Keezer
People Like This 
Old 11-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #25
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangulum33 View Post
For me this means getting rid of the blow off tube, racking cane and much easier cleaning.
I fretted about maybe replacing my carboy's with buckets, but I just kinda fell in love with these. They look to be high quality and lots of nice features.
Prolly spent way more than I shouldve on fermenters....but hey....lots of guys have $$$ in conicals.
lots of people must have fallen in love with them since they are sold out at morebeer and as far as i can tell they are the only supplier. there will probably be some drawback that will pop up but that's to be seen. they are quality fermenters.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:34 AM   #26
shmEk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

These really got me going a bit the last few days. Nice to see people commenting. I think I'm passing for now on them until I hear some outstanding reviews. Then I'll consider picking up if the raves beat the buckets. Thanks all for your comments and nice close up pictures!

Old 11-12-2011, 01:34 AM   #27
boswell
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangulum33

Dude. Its made in Germany. Its better.

This!

Old 11-12-2011, 02:00 AM   #28
BeerCrafter2011
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Germany???!

holmes.jpeg

Obsessed about brewing.

Orthobrewsky Likes This 
Old 11-12-2011, 02:20 AM   #29
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by clafty View Post
Germany???!

Attachment 38220

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 11-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #30
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

These look very nice......but I'll wait for some kind of track record to be posted before seriously considering acquiring one. I've never fermented in anything but plastic buckets, and think they're as good as anything out there. I did move to a somewhat larger bucket, due to the tendency to get foamouts from the airlock with some beers (the U.S. Plastics 7 gal. bucket). When I made that move, I bought three buckets with different colored lids (lids on the U.S. Plastic buckets have a REAL neoprene 'O'-ring seal), and had the lids drilled and grommets installed in about half an hour. Cost= $32 delivered for the 3 buckets and 50 cents apiece for the grommets. Hard to justify $45 when buckets can be had that cheaply.

Now for the big positive for the Speidels, which is the spigot (my buckets already have enough headspace, and the smaller airlock is adequate, at least for my beers). I know a guy who ferments in nothing but buckets with spigots. He's also made a bunch of wooden wedges that tilt the buckets back about 10-15 degrees, so that the trub slopes away from the spigot, making racking a complete no-brainer.

As has already been alluded to in this thread, the big problem with the spigot normally installed on bottling buckets is that it tends to be not completely liquid-tight. The spigot itself is only $3-4, but absent a solution for the leakage problem, I have stayed away from that type of configuration as a fermenter, sticking with my good 'ol Fermtech autosiphon. But there is no denying that there is always some risk of infection when using that time-honored method. The Speidels seems slicker, and I'll reserve judgement until some sort of specific experiences are posted here on HBT.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

abstractreasoning Likes This 

Quick Reply