Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Speidel Plastic Tanks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #231
vnzjunk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default re: I am bottling straight from a speidel 30l FV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGarre View Post
I am bottling straight from a speidel 30l FV. When I sanitise the FV I run starsan thru the spigot for a minute or so. When I bottle 2 weeks later I spray starsan all over the spigot and inside too ie spray upwards. That's all that is needed.
I have been bottling this way for over a year. I disassemble the spigot assy and clean and sanitize before attaching and filling the Speidel. I then spray the spigot with sanitizer, soak a small piece of paper towel in sanitizer and twist it up into the spigot with a bit outside of it. I then sanitize a small piece of aluminum foil and form it around the spigot. When bottling time comes I remove the foil, the piece of paper towel and spray some sanitizer on the spigot before proceeding to bottle directly. Its easier and quicker than it sounds and so far so good.

I also see mention regarding the availability of the Speidel units from More Beer. This last batch lasted longer than the previous batches so that is a plus. But like I mentioned in a prev post, if you want one when they do become available just be quick to order one and you should be ok. Those that procrastinate......sometimes lose out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #232
vnzjunk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTed View Post
I've bottled straight out of my 7.9, and haven't had any issues. There may be a little in the nozzle that comes out in the first second or two, but otherwise it's fine.
I always figure on that 'little' and let it run into a glass. Usually don't amount to much and then all is relatively clear. I let the glass sit a bit and usually sample the top 3/4 of it and toss the rest. Gets my hopes up for how good the batch might end up.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #233
vnzjunk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAbrewer View Post
Anybody know how deep the trub containment is? I'm looking at the 7.9. Do you waste a lot or suck up junk when transferring?
Not a big problem. The tap will stop flowing before you reach the thick trub. If you must you can squeeze every last drop out by tilting the mostly empty fermenter but you will have to be fast to stop before the gunk starts coming out into your bottle. If you plan to harvest the yeast that last bit of liquid on top of the trub seems about rite for a swirl and dump into yeast containers for further washing. At least that is what I have been doing.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #234
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I received an email last night from More Beer the 60L have been pushed out to Feb now.
Looks like I will go ahead and put my first 10 gallon batch into 2 fermentors I do not feel like waiting.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 12-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #235
Kuckoo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnzjunk View Post
I always figure on that 'little' and let it run into a glass. Usually don't amount to much and then all is relatively clear. I let the glass sit a bit and usually sample the top 3/4 of it and toss the rest. Gets my hopes up for how good the batch might end up.
I do the same thing. I've fermented ~12 beers or so with it (Mostly APA, IPA, and Dubbels) and the only time I've run into a trub problem was with a big DIPA. I had to run it through a stainless steel filter that attaches to the end of my racking tube to catch it all. Other than that, I've never had any issues except the initial little bit that is in the spigot to start.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #236
EchoTony
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Got my 20L but not the 60L. Getting a bit miffed on this, as I ordered back in September and have been promised over and over that my order will be filled in the next shipment only to not have it happen.

Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy. (Ben Franklin)
- I think it applies to beer too, so there.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #237
EchoTony
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Just got a reply to my inquiry on what's up:

"I am very sorry that we were unable to include the
60L as part of the shipment. Sadly, Speidel shorted our shipment (without
notifying us) by over a hundred fermenters. We will be shipping the 60L
fermenter as part of our next Speidel shipment which is now due to arrive in
late January/early February. This delay is also through Speidel and
unfortunately it outside of our control. I again apologize for the trouble.
Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns, I will do all I
can to help. "

Hope this helps anyone else looking for info.

I guess 10 gallon batches will have to wait.

Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy. (Ben Franklin)
- I think it applies to beer too, so there.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:57 AM   #238
Brewsit
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Anyone receive theirs from the January/February shipment yet? My order says "Being picked", but it's had that status for at least a week. Waiting in MoreBeer Purgatory...

Old 01-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #239
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Just a word to ease somebody mind: I live in Spain, and even here (EU and a lot closer to Germany) the items are backorderer from Speidel, yu gt to think in around a month or so... just think about sending it overseas, cuustoms, etc, etc, etc and the fact that they are going to ship containers and not a couple of tanks, it is hard but jus sit back and don´t worry it is a matter of patience, even for us on the other side of the Atlantic

Old 01-22-2013, 11:40 PM   #240
Brutus Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

[/QUOTE]

I used my Speidel tanks for the first time this weekend only I had the threads facing down when I inserted the airlock, is that a problem?

Quick Reply