Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Speidel Plastic Tanks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 02:23 AM   #211
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 142

has anyone added a thermowell to one of these?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 02:59 AM   #212
digitaldeluge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post
has anyone added a thermowell to one of these?
The top is threaded as the same size as the spout so i'm sure its quite possible. I ordered 2 extra spots myself 1 to lightly pump co2 in the top as I transfer and another for modding / tinkering. I'm in southern California so i'm going to be doing all my fermenting in a modded freezer so a thermowell is not in the works for the one to mod, sorry. In fact I don't know what i'm going to do with the extra one yet. I just wanted one on hand in case I come up with something.

Also I received my 3 other fermenters, the guy packing them goofed up. They were supper nice and even fallowed up with me. Cant beat that kind of customer service.

All 5 are ready to go, and i'm going to try and fill them all this weekend

Old 12-13-2012, 03:43 AM   #213
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoTony
It sounds like some are going out. Still none here. Ordered on 10/11.

Had to do another batch in glass. Not the worst situation, but I'd like to move up to the 10 gallon batches and not being so concerned with head space on my big 5 gallon beers.
In the interim you could always get these 13 gal "barrels" off of eBay. They're $20 + 16 shipping, but you can combine shipping on two. My first batch seems to have fermented fine.

Sure as heck not the same quality as speidel, but it'll get you to 10 gal while you wait.

image-3983981358.jpg

image-3614308912.jpg

Brewguyver - the man who does everything wrong so you won't have to!

Old 12-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #214
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I have a 14g barrel with lid and metal clamp-ring that I got from ebay (HDPE 2, food grade) for $27 shipped. Fermented 3 batches so far. No handles is the caveat, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 12-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #215
jammin

Recipes 

I like those plastic bucket ideas fellas. I'm considering this one for 10 gallon batches:

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Polyethy...5419505&sr=1-1

Seems like it would be simple to add a spigot and airlock to. I already have a stopper with a thermowell in it; I could drill a hole in the lid for that too.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #216
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post
I like those plastic bucket ideas fellas. I'm considering this one for 10 gallon batches:

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Polyethy...5419505&sr=1-1

Seems like it would be simple to add a spigot and airlock to. I already have a stopper with a thermowell in it; I could drill a hole in the lid for that too.
It looks like this is NOT a good idea. Just a quick read, but it says, in all caps, NO FREE LIQUIDS. To me that means it would NOT be a good idea to ferment in. It looks like it is for the containment of a carboy, in case of a spil I guess. Maybe look for a HDPE Food grade plastic type container.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #217
jammin

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGiantsFan925 View Post
It looks like this is NOT a good idea. Just a quick read, but it says, in all caps, NO FREE LIQUIDS. To me that means it would NOT be a good idea to ferment in. It looks like it is for the containment of a carboy, in case of a spil I guess. Maybe look for a HDPE Food grade plastic type container.
I think that is in relation to hazardous materials? It also says "food grade quality" and meets packing groups 1, 2 and 3 - which sound like heavy stuff haha. http://www.ncsu.edu/ehs/dot/packing_groups.html

Anyone else have input?

Old 12-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #218
SFGiantsFan925
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 242

^ Ttue, as I read it, it looks like its made to store Haz-Mat, in case of a spill or breech. So, I may work for fermenting. Dont see why not I guess.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #219
jtrainer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWMushroom View Post
All I will add is the only time I've ever had infections in my beer has been when I've used fermenters with spigots.

It just seems to be next to impossible to properly sanitize the spigot prior to secondary/bottling bucket transfer.

I would spray PBW in there, StarSan, you name it. When it's hooked up to the fermenter, you just can't get the thing properly sanitized if you want to use the spigot instead of an auto-siphon.

Perhaps this was because I was using the spigot during fermentation to pull samples for gravity readings, leaving some attractive sweetness in there for wild yeast/bacteria (even though I'd spray it with StarSan after taking a sample) but either way - be extra careful if you use the spigot to transfer your beer to a secondary/priming tank rather than an auto-siphon.
While I await my January shipment of the 60L model I have to say, your spigot statement is lame. I've been using spigots on my primary buckets for years. Documented and all. I'm going to retire my oldest bucket with spigot in January and grow potatoes in it. The bucket was my second bucket used and has been in service with same spigot for 6 years.

My only infection was in a carboy with a racking cane I still use (less often) today.

If you had spigot infection issues you need to go back and look at your cleaning and sanitation process.

Its not the plastic, its how you clean it and care for your precious beer holding containers. I've even seen infections in SS conicals (but I don't own any of them) too.

Can some one get a better picture of the spigot setup on the inside?

Will I need to make a new dip tube or is there some sort of yeast settling bumps in there so one does not need a dip tube as in a bucket setup?
OnTap: Air

Fermenter: Imp Vanilla Porter, BackAtIt IPA
OnDeck: Happy New Beer

Old 12-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #220
FarmerTed

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 186

I haven't had any issues with spigots, either (used my speidel twice and a bucket with spigot once). I just shot some starsan into and all over the spigot after I filled the speidel, then covered it up with aluminum foil held on with a tight rubber band. I personally wouldn't use the spigot to pull samples. I think that would definitely increase the risk of something growing in there.

Quick Reply