Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Speidel Plastic Tanks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 12:11 AM   #191
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I just wanted to repeat myself about headspace on big beers. I am using one of my 60L speidels right now and I only have 8 gallons in the fermentor at the moment. I went up stairs thinking I'd add my next 8 gallons I have sitting in a sealed corny keg. Well the 8 gal has krausened out of the 15.9 gal fermentor so if you have a big enough beer you'll need blow off, and I thought with another volume's worth of beer in the head space I'd be fine till I topped it up. It's a 1.117 RIS so it's not typical I would say.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #192
EchoTony
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I'm on the backorder list with a 60L and 30L. When I ordered, it didn't say they were a backorder. Found out when my other items arrived and they didn't arrive in a really big box. Checked my order and it wasn't listed. After emailing CS, I was told I'm in the November shipment. Excited to get these and move up to 10 gallons.

Excited.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #193
imagingh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Default Speidel Stopper Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by makomachine View Post
Morebeer got back to me and said the stopper size for the 30L is a #7.5 stopper, so should be able to drill it out to accommodate a thermowell. That said, I'm still concerned about the headspace with a 15" thermowell and 5.25 gallons filled in the 30L that it will be too short.
In case this has not been addressed already, the stopper size for the 20L and 30L Speidel's is #8.5. I tested 7.5, 8.0 and 8.5 to determine the best fit.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:10 AM   #194
ssimkins
Recipes 

I used a carboy hood cap on my Speidel and it worked perfectly.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #195
NWMushroom

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

All I will add is the only time I've ever had infections in my beer has been when I've used fermenters with spigots.

It just seems to be next to impossible to properly sanitize the spigot prior to secondary/bottling bucket transfer.

I would spray PBW in there, StarSan, you name it. When it's hooked up to the fermenter, you just can't get the thing properly sanitized if you want to use the spigot instead of an auto-siphon.

Perhaps this was because I was using the spigot during fermentation to pull samples for gravity readings, leaving some attractive sweetness in there for wild yeast/bacteria (even though I'd spray it with StarSan after taking a sample) but either way - be extra careful if you use the spigot to transfer your beer to a secondary/priming tank rather than an auto-siphon.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #196
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWMushroom View Post
All I will add is the only time I've ever had infections in my beer has been when I've used fermenters with spigots.

It just seems to be next to impossible to properly sanitize the spigot prior to secondary/bottling bucket transfer.

I would spray PBW in there, StarSan, you name it. When it's hooked up to the fermenter, you just can't get the thing properly sanitized if you want to use the spigot instead of an auto-siphon.

Perhaps this was because I was using the spigot during fermentation to pull samples for gravity readings, leaving some attractive sweetness in there for wild yeast/bacteria (even though I'd spray it with StarSan after taking a sample) but either way - be extra careful if you use the spigot to transfer your beer to a secondary/priming tank rather than an auto-siphon.
I´ve used fermenter with spigot in 90% of my beers and didn´t had a problem

Old 11-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #197
bueschen
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've been using 2x 30L Speidels for the past year, both with spigot and I haven't had any problems either.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #198
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 236

No problems with the spigot for me and it has made transferring to kegs so much easier. I would never use it for samples ahead of transferring the beer. I also attach a hose to the end and gravity feed warm sanitizer backwards (with the spigot closed) through it just before starting my transfer into the keg. I also transfer the first cup or two into a jar and discard it.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #199
Kuckoo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The Speidel fermenters have removable spigots, making them much easier to clean and sanitize than the traditional bucket spigots. I just got a 30L Speidle fermenter in September. I've used it for 3 or 4 batches already and absolutely love it. I just brewed a big IIPA last week that measured in at 1.080. I am SO thankful to have the head space on this thing, otherwise I would have a huge mess on my hands.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #200
triangulum33
Whenever it feels right!

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueschen View Post
I've been using 2x 30L Speidels for the past year, both with spigot and I haven't had any problems either.
Same here.

Before I fill the fermenter, I rotate the spigot up, leaving it closed, and spray starsan into it. I leave it filled that way while the beer ferments and rinse it out with more SS when its time to transfer. Seems to work good.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Meine Keezer

Quick Reply