Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Speidel Plastic Tanks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012, 02:41 AM   #141
makomachine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangulum33

Eyeballed with a tape from above:

For 5 Gal, its about 8 inches to the top of the tank and 10 inches to the plastic orange "lid" from the liquid surface. Probably about 12 inches to the top of the stopper.
Each gallon of wort subtracts about 1.75" of headspace.
Thank you. I'll have to watch the angle drilling out the stopper. Even a slight angle will likely make it too short
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 03:09 AM   #142
whirlybirds
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak View Post
i love this thing. putting it up on the counter and bottling right out of the spigot warms my heart.
Am I reading this right? Since you don't have to open the tank to bottle, you don't need to use priming sugar?

Old 07-20-2012, 03:23 AM   #143
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlybirds

Am I reading this right? Since you don't have to open the tank to bottle, you don't need to use priming sugar?
Wrong conclusion - no magic here, priming still required.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:42 AM   #144
triangulum33
Whenever it feels right!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlybirds View Post

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Meine Keezer

Old 07-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #145
vnzjunk
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 16

When I missed out on re-ordering one last summer I clicked on the 'notify me when back in stock' button and thought I was good to go. In talking with customer support subsequently on another order being processed I mentioned something concerning their inventory control software system and was informed by the support person that it was not real time but had to be manually updated in some fashion. This got me to worrying about whether or not the 'notify me.......' button was going to be automatic or if it too had to have human intervention. Thus started my 6 months of being a semi regular user of their 800 phone system. What I was able to find out about their Speidel shipment in bits and pieces was that they didn't have any firm info on when the order from Speidel would be processed and shipped, how long it would take to reach the U.S. and finally how long it would take to clear the docks and customs. As it turns out once the shipment reached the docks it took quite some time (I am thinking over a month) to actually ship to more beer (my estimate). Once they got them I was told that they had to go through some kind of inventory process and quality control checks. Once this was finished I received multiple alerts that they were in stock and could be ordered. They still showed out of stock on the company order pages. An order link came in the stock alert email.

I pass along the above info so that anyone who seems to be missing out on the magic 12 minute ??? window will have a better idea of what I was able to ascertain, correct or not in the process of getting my second order fulfilled. My suggestion would be to not rely on the computer inventory system online but talk to a live sales rep. And by the way they were always courteous and seemed to know what they were talking about. Much better in my estimation than many mail order houses in other fields.

For some this extra effort may not be worth it and that is fine. You will only know if one of these fermenters is all that by seeing one in person and/or using one. I am obviously a believer but then again I was not heavily invested in another system prior to my order other than a couple of 2.5 Gal systems. For the life of me I cannot figure out with the apparent demand for these units why it is so hard to deliver them to waiting potential customers. I guess that info is just way above my pay grade

I hope some of this info was useful.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #146
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnzjunk
When I missed out on re-ordering one last summer I clicked on the 'notify me when back in stock' button and thought I was good to go. In talking with customer support subsequently on another order being processed I mentioned something concerning their inventory control software system and was informed by the support person that it was not real time but had to be manually updated in some fashion. This got me to worrying about whether or not the 'notify me.......' button was going to be automatic or if it too had to have human intervention. Thus started my 6 months of being a semi regular user of their 800 phone system. What I was able to find out about their Speidel shipment in bits and pieces was that they didn't have any firm info on when the order from Speidel would be processed and shipped, how long it would take to reach the U.S. and finally how long it would take to clear the docks and customs. As it turns out once the shipment reached the docks it took quite some time (I am thinking over a month) to actually ship to more beer (my estimate). Once they got them I was told that they had to go through some kind of inventory process and quality control checks. Once this was finished I received multiple alerts that they were in stock and could be ordered. They still showed out of stock on the company order pages. An order link came in the stock alert email.

I pass along the above info so that anyone who seems to be missing out on the magic 12 minute ??? window will have a better idea of what I was able to ascertain, correct or not in the process of getting my second order fulfilled. My suggestion would be to not rely on the computer inventory system online but talk to a live sales rep. And by the way they were always courteous and seemed to know what they were talking about. Much better in my estimation than many mail order houses in other fields.

For some this extra effort may not be worth it and that is fine. You will only know if one of these fermenters is all that by seeing one in person and/or using one. I am obviously a believer but then again I was not heavily invested in another system prior to my order other than a couple of 2.5 Gal systems. For the life of me I cannot figure out with the apparent demand for these units why it is so hard to deliver them to waiting potential customers. I guess that info is just way above my pay grade

I hope some of this info was useful.
These are likely shipped via ocean container load - which just isn't as quick, or precise as airfreight. This is what allows morebeer to sell these so reasonably in the bigger picture. They are great to work with and if you really want one, have them place a back order for you. One phone call gets you ahead of the cue and in line for supply as it arrives.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #147
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 219 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by makomachine View Post
These are likely shipped via ocean container load - which just isn't as quick, or precise as airfreight. This is what allows morebeer to sell these so reasonably in the bigger picture. They are great to work with and if you really want one, have them place a back order for you. One phone call gets you ahead of the cue and in line for supply as it arrives.
Funny enough, I was going to do just that but I checked the site (for the third time that day) and they were in stock. I bypassed proper approval from the SWMBO and ordered right away.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #148
triangulum33
Whenever it feels right!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, Morebeer is great. They've got a lot of interesting stuff in their shop too.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Meine Keezer

Old 07-21-2012, 01:13 AM   #149
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface

Funny enough, I was going to do just that but I checked the site (for the third time that day) and they were in stock. I bypassed proper approval from the SWMBO and ordered right away.
Sometimes you just got to gamble!

Old 08-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #150
makomachine
Recipes 

Any new feedback on these tanks from the group that just got them. Still have an open back order for my two and was thinking about them again given the Surly Furious beer I'll be doing. Over 8oz of dry hops and this will sure be nice for that, if I get it this month!

Quick Reply