Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Speidel Plastic Tanks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #121
MisterTipsy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnzjunk View Post
What I do is boil up some bottling sugar water/beer, cool it down and then add the 'correct' amount of liquid to each 2L plastic bottle that I use for my beer. So far so good...........
I see your bold text and raise your bold text with size and color!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #122
vnzjunk
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default re: Sanitizing valve

When I sanitize the fermenter I drain some of the sanitizer liquid out through the spigot. I also sanitize the spigot before sanitizing the fermenter (over kill ???) then I sanitize the outside of the spigot and cover with sanitized tin foil. When bottling time comes I resanitize the outside of the spigot and the inside of it using a swab drenched in sanitizer.........so far no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
How does one go about sanitizing the valve when it already connected to a full fermentor? Thanks

Old 07-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #123
vnzjunk
Recipes 

Default re: misfire

I am sorry to hear about the misfire you mentioned. Just to weigh in on the other side.......I have made several orders in the past year with morebeer and have been 110% satisfied. Quick order fulfillment, fast delivery even on their lowest tier of shipping, great after order updating of status and great support after sale and to any questions about products. One time they had to split my order and ship the second part a short time later. They picked up the double shipping charge which would have been free for the single order. That is some good customer service in my estimation and not something that all businesses would have done. I am very very happy with my experiences with morebeer. I hope that you give them another chance but fully understand the once burned scenero. I am in on way connected to morebeer. Just a satisfied customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
That is what had crossed my mind as a MO. Seems fraught with its own set of possible problems.

I tried ordering one the first day that someone posted about it here. MoreBeer misfired and sent me a sulfur stick instead. That was interesting. Almost as epic fail as the time Muscian's Friend sent me an overnight shipment with nothing in the box.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #124
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnzjunk

I am sorry to hear about the misfire you mentioned. Just to weigh in on the other side.......I have made several orders in the past year with morebeer and have been 110% satisfied. Quick order fulfillment, fast delivery even on their lowest tier of shipping, great after order updating of status and great support after sale and to any questions about products. One time they had to split my order and ship the second part a short time later. They picked up the double shipping charge which would have been free for the single order. That is some good customer service in my estimation and not something that all businesses would have done. I am very very happy with my experiences with morebeer. I hope that you give them another chance but fully understand the once burned scenero. I am in on way connected to morebeer. Just a satisfied customer.

Can you share the distance to the top of the fermenter when it has 5.25 gallons in it? Trying to determine if my 15 inch thermowell will reach the fluid level in the tank from the top.
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 07-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #125
vnzjunk
Recipes 

Default Great pics....1 pic worth 1,000 words...well done

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by triangulum33 View Post
took some pics of the 2 30l's that came in today. The build quality appears good overall. The fermenter is thick rigid plastic (more stiff than a better bottle) and all the bits and pieces are made of "quality plastic" (no thin brittle pieces like regular airlock plastic).

the handles appear plenty sturdy enough.

this airlock is giant.

the orange airlock top does not clip into place. There is a fill line about 25% of the way up there airlock, and the orange top just kinda floats on the water and will bob up and down as gas escapes.

screw on the top cap to shake/airate.

the airlock stem is ~5/8", so even if krauzen made it up that high it looks like it is plenty wide enough to not plug.

bottom bung can accept the included spigot or cap. I didnt measure, but it appears to be 1.5" - 2" higher than bottom of the fermenter. I would not expect much trub to make it out unless you have a giant yeast cake and 2lbs of hops.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #126
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 216

I cleaned out my 60L tanks and gave them an oxyclean soak last night. I have to say, this has been one of my more satisfying homebrew equipment purchases. These tanks are nice!

The 60L tanks have more of a paint can lid, but there is also a sort of ratchet strap around the base of the lid to make sure it is on tight. Then in the center of the lid there is a threaded bung hole that you can cap, use the included stopper and airlock, or even the spigot and attach tubing and use it as a close-able blow-off tube. My plan is to modify the cap with a male camlock fitting because I use camlock fittings on my HLT, MT and kettle. I also place my fermentor in my chest freezer before filling with wort, so I'll have a completely closed path from boil kettle to fermentor with this. I was disappointed to see that morebeer doesn't sell the caps. They sell the spigots, but not the caps. I wanted a few extra so I could modify them or have caps for both the bottom bung hole and the lid bung hole. The threaded fittings for the spigot and cap could be useful for creative types who might think of other things to thread on there.

Anyway, these seem like they will be super user-friendly. The lid is easy to use, the hole in the center of it will make several tasks easier. The spigot wasn't a requirement for me, but I think I'll end up really liking it. Being able to easily remove it from the base for cleaning (of the spigot and the tank) is a big plus.

Fitting the 60L tanks in a chest freezer is a close one. No way to use the airlock without modifying the chest freezer with a collar or something. I plan to use a blow-off tube anyway. It's not just close on height, which is what I was worried about, but the width of the tank just barely fits. And by just barely I mean you have to push the tank into place because there is a little resistance.

I'll see if I can get some pics today.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #127
vnzjunk
Recipes 

Default Drawback........

Not any that I have found but I did make a mistake of cleaning with too hot water setting in the tank. No lasting effects but something I won't attempt again. I laid the container on its side with very hot water inside to soak and could see the effects of hot water on the side of the tank when I uprighted it. Subsequent cleanings were with luke warm to mild warm water........my mistake. It is a learning process and thats how I learn. That hot water was not needed to do the job adequately and will not be repeated as I said above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak View Post
lots of people must have fallen in love with them since they are sold out at morebeer and as far as i can tell they are the only supplier. there will probably be some drawback that will pop up but that's to be seen. they are quality fermenters.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #128
vnzjunk
Recipes 

Default re: Hard to justify $45 when buckets can be had that cheaply

Each to his/her own. One bad batch from any of the 'problems' you site after labling the buckets as good as anything out there would cover the xtra cost of the speidel ( infection, leakage, low headspace replacing smaller bucket with larger size. To me it was well worth the extra cost but everyones mileage will vary. If what you have works......great. If not so much......there are many alternatives, some better than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
These look very nice......but I'll wait for some kind of track record to be posted before seriously considering acquiring one. I've never fermented in anything but plastic buckets, and think they're as good as anything out there. I did move to a somewhat larger bucket, due to the tendency to get foamouts from the airlock with some beers (the U.S. Plastics 7 gal. bucket). When I made that move, I bought three buckets with different colored lids (lids on the U.S. Plastic buckets have a REAL neoprene 'O'-ring seal), and had the lids drilled and grommets installed in about half an hour. Cost= $32 delivered for the 3 buckets and 50 cents apiece for the grommets. Hard to justify $45 when buckets can be had that cheaply.

Now for the big positive for the Speidels, which is the spigot (my buckets already have enough headspace, and the smaller airlock is adequate, at least for my beers). I know a guy who ferments in nothing but buckets with spigots. He's also made a bunch of wooden wedges that tilt the buckets back about 10-15 degrees, so that the trub slopes away from the spigot, making racking a complete no-brainer.

As has already been alluded to in this thread, the big problem with the spigot normally installed on bottling buckets is that it tends to be not completely liquid-tight. The spigot itself is only $3-4, but absent a solution for the leakage problem, I have stayed away from that type of configuration as a fermenter, sticking with my good 'ol Fermtech autosiphon. But there is no denying that there is always some risk of infection when using that time-honored method. The Speidels seems slicker, and I'll reserve judgement until some sort of specific experiences are posted here on HBT.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #129
vnzjunk
Recipes 

Default 1 step

It has always been a 1 step process for me. As stated elsewhere an initial 4oz or so draw clears the small amount of trub which may have found its way into the spigot. From that point almost complete emptying of the speidel into bottles is possible and even to the point of tipping the unit forward for the last half of a 2L plastic bottle in my case if desired or just leaving a little bit in the bottom for the 'yeast saving gods' to do their thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak View Post
it's not better than a bucket as far as fermenting, i'm trying to see if it can be used as both a fermenter and a bottling bucket which would eliminate one step when i bottle. this tank cost me $45 and a 7.9 gallon bucket is $15.99 plus $5 for the lid. (northern brewer has the same 7.9 gallon bucket for $22.99 without the lid, who knows what they're thinking)

Old 07-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #130
thrillhouse
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
I was disappointed to see that morebeer doesn't sell the caps. They sell the spigots, but not the caps. I wanted a few extra so I could modify them or have caps for both the bottom bung hole and the lid bung hole. The threaded fittings for the spigot and cap could be useful for creative types who might think of other things to thread on there.
As I missed out on the last round, I found a german web site that ships these to the U.S. http://www.holzeis.com/index.php/cPa...35/language/en

I've been contemplating picking up the 30L and paying for the shipping, but it's unclear whether the 30L includes all of the accessories (airlock, caps, etc.).

Quick Reply