Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Southern style beers? - crawfish feast coming

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2009, 06:56 AM   #1
dontman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Southern style beers? - crawfish feast coming

I throw a Crawfish Bash every year called the Annual Tax Relief Crawfish Bash since it happens usually the first weekend after April 15th.

This coming year will be the 15th annual one. Some of you Philly people might remember my inaugural party. I had 125 lbs of live craw shipped into Philly airport. The bomb sniffing dogs alerted on the box and they closed the airport and the major highways surrounding the area for two hours. They had a robot open the box out in a big empty parking lot and I was watching it on TV and saw that it was my crawfish.

I want to brew a special beer for this, or two even since my system is two tapped.

Is there a GOOD local craft beer served in New Orleans that I should try to clone? It should be a good session beer that you can drink for hours with nice sweetness to counteract the spice. I am drinking a Wit right now that to be honest would probably be perfect but it just seems somehow wrong serving Belgian beer for this event.

I am looking for suggestions here. Some particulars for edification. Crawfish are spicy messy finger food. The beauty of these little buggers is that they never fill you up. You can literally sit down to eat at noon and just keep eating all day. I've seen people eat these things for 12 hours straight. Beer is the perfect accompaniment but I want it to be as drinkable as the craw is munchable.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2009, 07:35 AM   #2
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I suggest a Rye Stout. You should make your own brew rather then cloning something.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 02-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
thataintchicken
GUSTATUS SIMILIS PULLUS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1274 Times on 1265 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You have enough time to brew Cream of 3 Crops..
That should be a light session beer perfect for a feast of crawfish.

Ginger, how long should I boil these crab legs for? I want them to fall off the bone just like Texas pork ribs. - Ace Club

I'm a meat hunter. - AZ_IPA

Their new commercial sounds lime the crazy fiat music.- Zuljin

Old 02-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think a Koelsch, Cream Ale, Classic American Pilsner or something along those lines would be perfect! Now, about that invite.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 9

my vote is for a cream ale. nice and smooth and light, easy-drinking, with just that hint of hops and a light sweetness from the corn.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 02-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts

Yeah, I immediately thought Cream Ale!

What's tappening? :D

Old 02-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #7
brown_dog_us
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I vote cream ale or blonde ale.

Keg: Imperial Stout
Keg: Steam Beer
Keg: Robust Porter
Keg: Blonde Ale
Keg: Red Ale
Keg: Vienna Ale

Old 02-23-2009, 07:20 PM   #8
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The vote so far is cream ale or blonde ale. I was actually leaning in the same direction. I loved BM Centennial Blonde.

Follow up question: Does cream ale always get corn? I have never brewed with corn (sort of out of principle, if you know what I mean - if BMC does it, then I don't, that sort of mentality.) But maybe this is a good time to try something new.

Looks like "Cream of Three Crops" and "Centennial Blonde" will be on the menu. My own Wit recipe will round out the kegs. Then varying bottles for the afficionados in the crowd.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I would go with a very crisp blonde and maybe a belgian style pale ale with flowery hops and a belgian yeast to bring some spicy phenols to the table. That sounds really good to me.

Maybe a light pale ale, saaz for flavor and aroma, and fermented with Wyeast 3463 Forbidden fruit warm at around 72º... mmmmm spicy with the craw dads...

Old 02-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #10
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Cream ales are nasty! I vote for a nice pale ale.

Quick Reply