Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Southern California Destinations and recipe suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
gpogo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Southern California Destinations and recipe suggestions

I'm moving to southern california for a coop on the 14th. Anyways I was planning on doing a mead and maybe some sort of fruit mead. I was also thinking some sort of big beer. Then when I return in 8 months have a get together with some friends and decent homebrew.

One idea was a barleywine. I'd love some other recipe suggestions. I don't have the equipment for ag yet, so whatever I do will either be extract or minimash.

Also if you know of any good destinations in southern california(I'll probably be in lancaster) breweries, lhbs, or other points of interest I'd be interested in hearing of them. I think the Stone Brewing Co. is about 2 hours away and where I'm from I haven't found any of their beers.

Secondary 3 - Malkore's Not So Ancient Orange Mead(2.5 gal)
Secondary 4 -
Gallon Fermentor - Joe's Ancient Orange, Joe's Quick Grape Mead, Pomegranate Mead
Bottled/aging - Sunshine Wheat Clone, Fat Tire Clone, Hard Cider, Scotch Ale, Orange Blossom Sweet Mead
Coming soon... - Weizenbock, Belgian Wit, Apfelwein

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 01:59 AM   #2
raceskier
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ahh, Beautiful Lancaster. Broils in the summer (and you can set your watch to the afternoon gale force winds) and freezes in the winter. You must have really PO'd someone to get sent there. Anyway this is a good source for local info: http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/directory/0/US/CA
You're probably looking at a 3 hour trek to Stone. Once you get to the LA area, there's a lot to investigate. Indian Wells is probably the closest micro, about an hour north on the 14.

Primary: , Boddington's Clone, Mirror Pond w/Marris Otter
Secondary:
Bottled: Fullers ESB Clone
Kegged: Mirror Pond Clone
Drinking: BM's Kona Fire Rock, Dead Guy Clone, Alaskan Amber Alt Clone, Firestone DBA Clone, Magnum/Crystal IPA
Next up: Burton IPA

Old 01-03-2008, 02:24 AM   #3
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 52 Posts

Yeah, there's not much in Lancaster. Raceskier is right. Indian Wells Brewing would be the closest to you. http://www.mojave-red.com/brew.asp
Stone is about 3 hours south off I-15. If you want to go about 2 hour northwest you'll hit Paso Robles to find Firestone Walker http://www.firestonewalker.com/
There's a few brew pubs in the LA area, but they are spread out all over and would take you at least 1.5 hours to get there, 2 hours to get to Orange County.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Quick Reply