Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sour Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Sour Question

I brewed a Sour on 4/10/2010 and racked to secondary 10 gallons on 5/10/2010. I made a few rookie sour mistakes, but that's not the issue here. I Kegged and drank one of the carboys last year. Yes, I thought it was a decent sour, but not an award winner. So, I have left the second carboy alone. Here we are 2 1/2 years into the secondary, and I still have pellicule on the top of the beer. I really want to keg this carboy as I have not paid attention to it, but never letting the air lock go empty. Last year I was all about adding the dredges of different sour beers to the carboy. What the hell I figured, it's a sour experiment. I never got those big bulbous pellicules that I saw in a buddie's beer a couple of years ago. I know why. But, here's my question. Think it's safe to keg this beer now? It looks infected (I know, what sour isn't ), but I would at least like to rack to a keg tomorrow, carb it up, and try it. I am at odds. Ever hear of anyone getting sick from an experiment like this. No, there is not any black fungus in the carboy. Just a firm white film of pellicule on the top. I find that very wierd as I thought that the pellicule was supposed to fall out after a year of sitting. Thoughts?

On DeckWitches Brew IPA
Primary Lil Sparky's Nut Brown Ale, Simcoe Sevada
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Bee Cave Kolsch
On Tap Bee Cave Kolsch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
ssazreal560
Recipes 

Sometimes it falls sometimes it doesn't. Just rack from underneath it then carb it up and try it

A guy at work asks what I am doing over the weekend. "Not much." I say, "Might brew some beer." "Wow!" Says the guy, "You ever get caught?" - sendkyleanemail

Old 12-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
tasq
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Yep! If it tastes good, keg it.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:00 AM   #4
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 264 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I can't say I have studied them, but it seems most of my sours still have their pellicles when I bottle.

Keg it and enjoy it.

Quick Reply