Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sour Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Sour Question

I brewed a Sour on 4/10/2010 and racked to secondary 10 gallons on 5/10/2010. I made a few rookie sour mistakes, but that's not the issue here. I Kegged and drank one of the carboys last year. Yes, I thought it was a decent sour, but not an award winner. So, I have left the second carboy alone. Here we are 2 1/2 years into the secondary, and I still have pellicule on the top of the beer. I really want to keg this carboy as I have not paid attention to it, but never letting the air lock go empty. Last year I was all about adding the dredges of different sour beers to the carboy. What the hell I figured, it's a sour experiment. I never got those big bulbous pellicules that I saw in a buddie's beer a couple of years ago. I know why. But, here's my question. Think it's safe to keg this beer now? It looks infected (I know, what sour isn't ), but I would at least like to rack to a keg tomorrow, carb it up, and try it. I am at odds. Ever hear of anyone getting sick from an experiment like this. No, there is not any black fungus in the carboy. Just a firm white film of pellicule on the top. I find that very wierd as I thought that the pellicule was supposed to fall out after a year of sitting. Thoughts?

On DeckAnother Mild
Primary Camper's Delight 9
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Camper's Delight 8
On Tap MaiBock

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
ssazreal560
Recipes 

Sometimes it falls sometimes it doesn't. Just rack from underneath it then carb it up and try it

A guy at work asks what I am doing over the weekend. "Not much." I say, "Might brew some beer." "Wow!" Says the guy, "You ever get caught?" - sendkyleanemail

Old 12-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
tasq
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Yep! If it tastes good, keg it.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:00 AM   #4
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I can't say I have studied them, but it seems most of my sours still have their pellicles when I bottle.

Keg it and enjoy it.

Quick Reply