LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #11
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The only other one I'd suggest is Lindeman's Framboise. My wife loves that stuff.

I've had luck with the following (which have all been mentioned already):
Supplication
Duchesse
Monk's Oud Bruin
Bellegems Bruin

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 02:07 AM   #12
signpost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 447

Escoffier Bretta Ale - collaboration between Brewery Vivant (Grand Rapids, MI) and New Belgium.

I haven't had many sour beers, but this one blew me away.

Bottled - The Land of Pils and Honey, an imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - an Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, an Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans added

Old 11-16-2012, 02:19 AM   #13
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

La Folie is definitely not an appropriate choice if you're trying to avoid overly sour beers.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:25 AM   #14
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
La Folie is definitely not an appropriate choice if you're trying to avoid overly sour beers.
You think so? I never thought of it as overly sour. It's not nearly as sour as something like a Tilquin or Hanssens gueuze. Or even La Roja for that matter.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:24 AM   #15
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICWiener View Post
You think so? I never thought of it as overly sour. It's not nearly as sour as something like a Tilquin or Hanssens gueuze. Or even La Roja for that matter.
Well he said he wanted to avoid really sour beers which crosses off pretty much anything lambic or any flanders reds. La Folie is pretty acetic which comes across like malt vinegar for a lot of people. The ph is pretty low although not as low as Hanssens.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:46 AM   #16
blizzard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 86

I second Monk's Cafe and Jolly Pumpkin. Calabaza Blanca from Jolly Pumpkin is a good intro beer, but the others offer a lot of complexity (if also more sourness). Russian River also has some fantastic choices. Consecration is my favorite. New Belgium has a new one out - Peach Porch Lounger. I think it is a brett beer, so not very sour, but kind of funky in a fruity way. Strange, but good as a small serving.

I also enjoy Bourgogne Des Flandres - similar to Monk's, but a little sweeter I think. Definitely has a soda-like flavor to me.

Primary/Secondary/Bottles/Kegged: Delicious, delicious beer

Old 11-16-2012, 04:46 AM   #17
BoomerHarley
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You can order Cascade's sours through the mail.

I would try and get your hands on a supplication or consecration. Hell, PM me and I'll trade you something.

It doesn't sound like he against the sourness, but the funkiness. So RR beers and Cascade would be ideal, where as some of the Jolly Pumpkin's I've had have seemed more funky and less sour.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:11 AM   #18
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Cascade makes some great sours, and are accessible, I'd recommend any of theirs. La Folie is a turn off for most non-beer geeks/sour beer afficianados, Jolly Pumpkin and Russian River's sours are good, and you could always get some of the New Belgium Lips of Faith series sours that aren't La Folie. Duchesse de Bourgogne is an easy one for people to start out with too.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #19
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I can totally understand the desire to avoid "vinegary sours" and "horse blanket Brett sours". They're not for everyone. The OP would probably have better luck with the American Wild Ale category vs. Flanders Ales and Lambics.

But don't discount "funk" entirely when you read a review. Some funk can add amazing, yet bearable complexity if it's highlighted appropriately in a sour.

And as it pertains to the level of sourness, the more the better!! Gueuzes and American Wilds can be quite sour. Depending on their age, Cisco Lady of the Woods and Russian River Compunction can both be like sucking on a Warhead candy. Yet both are fruity, citrusy, dry, and not funky or reminiscent of horsey hay.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #20
MTate37
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxal View Post
Duchesse de Bourgogne is an easy one for people to start out with too.
Duchesse was recommended to us by our beer store so we gave it a shot last weekend. We thought it had a bit of a Worcestershire flavor to it. Maybe we misinterpreted it as something else, but we weren't too crazy about it.

Tart of Darkness was also recommended, but as it came in a 750 ml bottle and we are both new to sours we passed because we didn't want to have that much beer that we might not like. Has anyone tried it?

Quick Reply