Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sour beer - allergies from fungus?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
Zippox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 259
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Sour beer - allergies from fungus?

I don't know much about sour beers but I was mentioning the idea of making one in the future and SWMBO was not too keen on the idea because she has some pretty bad allergies and is allergic to dust/mold/etc.

Does anyone have any articles that prove one way or another if that kind of mold or fungus (whatever it is) can affect allergies?

__________________
Zippox is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
ktblunden
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
ktblunden's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lancaster, CA
Posts: 1,740
Liked 248 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Sour beers are not made using mold or fungus, but bacteria. Brettanomyces is a yeast similar to regular brewing yeast (but more tenacious). Lactobacillus is the same bacteria found in most yogurt, so if she's allergic to yogurt you should steer clear. Pediococcus is related to lacto.

__________________
ktblunden is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Zippox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 259
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

So the growth on the top of the beer is bacteria, and not a mold or fungus that would be related to allergens (besides the yogurt example you mentioned)?

__________________
Zippox is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 992
Liked 66 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippox View Post
So the growth on the top of the beer is bacteria, and not a mold or fungus that would be related to allergens (besides the yogurt example you mentioned)?
Yes, Mold will destroy your beer...

It probably will not hurt you but will effect the taste "In A Bad Way"

Fortunately this is not a common problem, I am not a "Crazy Cleaner" and I have never had the problem.

OH: and I have a slight allergy to some molds so I would know...
__________________
DPBISME is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
ktblunden
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
ktblunden's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lancaster, CA
Posts: 1,740
Liked 248 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Correct. If she has a yeast allergy or an allergy to the bacteria in yogurt I would steer clear, but otherwise it's probably not a problem.

Of course, I'm not a doctor so this shouldn't be construed as medical advice.

__________________
ktblunden is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
passedpawn
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 18,276
Liked 3067 Times on 1928 Posts
Likes Given: 2603

Default

All yeast are fungi (sacc, brett, etc). So are mushrooms.

__________________
I'd love to change the world
But I dont know what to do
So Ill leave it up to you
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
Zippox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 259
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
Of course, I'm not a doctor so this shouldn't be construed as medical advice.
If she dies I blame you. We will see how it goes
__________________
Zippox is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
ktblunden
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
ktblunden's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lancaster, CA
Posts: 1,740
Liked 248 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
All yeast are fungi (sacc, brett, etc). So are mushrooms.
You're correct, I had a brain fart on that one. Regardless, if she's not allergic to regular beer and not allergic to yogurt, chances are she won't be allergic to sour beer.
__________________
ktblunden is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
Zippox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 259
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Yeah, my only concern was the interesting growth on the top of the beer and that being in the air. She definitely won't be drinking it

__________________
Zippox is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
Emdee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Georgetown, ON
Posts: 2
Default

I have had an allergic reaction to Lindemans Cuvée Rene Gueze.

It pretty much gave me an asthma attack. Have also had this with one other Belgian beer.

I do have allergies to dust an mould but they don't often trigger asthma.

I drink beer daily and this has only ever happened with certain Belgian beers.

__________________
Emdee is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Allergies, sinuses and beer ndsgr General Beer Discussion 20 09-14-2011 11:22 PM
Allergies Torchiest General Beer Discussion 9 07-23-2008 07:04 PM
Beer allergies? JGlove General Beer Discussion 7 05-16-2008 05:34 PM
Allergies? Please help doublegun General Beer Discussion 11 07-29-2007 04:45 AM
Fungus. Orfy General Beer Discussion 3 07-21-2007 06:25 PM