Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Beer Discussion (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/)
-   -   Sour beer - allergies from fungus? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/sour-beer-allergies-fungus-352049/)

Zippox 09-04-2012 01:04 PM

Sour beer - allergies from fungus?
 
I don't know much about sour beers but I was mentioning the idea of making one in the future and SWMBO was not too keen on the idea because she has some pretty bad allergies and is allergic to dust/mold/etc.

Does anyone have any articles that prove one way or another if that kind of mold or fungus (whatever it is) can affect allergies?

ktblunden 09-04-2012 02:03 PM

Sour beers are not made using mold or fungus, but bacteria. Brettanomyces is a yeast similar to regular brewing yeast (but more tenacious). Lactobacillus is the same bacteria found in most yogurt, so if she's allergic to yogurt you should steer clear. Pediococcus is related to lacto.

Zippox 09-04-2012 02:48 PM

So the growth on the top of the beer is bacteria, and not a mold or fungus that would be related to allergens (besides the yogurt example you mentioned)?

DPBISME 09-04-2012 02:52 PM

Yes...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zippox (Post 4385383)
So the growth on the top of the beer is bacteria, and not a mold or fungus that would be related to allergens (besides the yogurt example you mentioned)?

Yes, Mold will destroy your beer...

It probably will not hurt you but will effect the taste "In A Bad Way"

Fortunately this is not a common problem, I am not a "Crazy Cleaner" and I have never had the problem.

OH: and I have a slight allergy to some molds so I would know...

ktblunden 09-04-2012 02:52 PM

Correct. If she has a yeast allergy or an allergy to the bacteria in yogurt I would steer clear, but otherwise it's probably not a problem.

Of course, I'm not a doctor so this shouldn't be construed as medical advice.

passedpawn 09-04-2012 03:19 PM

All yeast are fungi (sacc, brett, etc). So are mushrooms.

Zippox 09-04-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktblunden (Post 4385397)
Of course, I'm not a doctor so this shouldn't be construed as medical advice.

If she dies I blame you. We will see how it goes :)

ktblunden 09-04-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by passedpawn (Post 4385472)
All yeast are fungi (sacc, brett, etc). So are mushrooms.

You're correct, I had a brain fart on that one. Regardless, if she's not allergic to regular beer and not allergic to yogurt, chances are she won't be allergic to sour beer.

Zippox 09-04-2012 04:53 PM

Yeah, my only concern was the interesting growth on the top of the beer and that being in the air. She definitely won't be drinking it

Emdee 09-04-2012 05:09 PM

I have had an allergic reaction to Lindemans Cuvée Rene Gueze.

It pretty much gave me an asthma attack. Have also had this with one other Belgian beer.

I do have allergies to dust an mould but they don't often trigger asthma.

I drink beer daily and this has only ever happened with certain Belgian beers.


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:37 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.