Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sooooo bummed about my first infection.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
WoolyBooger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Default Sooooo bummed about my first infection.

Well, it had to happen eventually. I brewed a nut brown ale a few weeks ago and racked to my secondary two weeks ago. All taste tests indicated a tasty brew in my future. Went to bottle today and... BAM, a mouthful of vinegary sourness (Acetobacter I'm assuming). I am sooooo disappointed. I almost wept as I was pouring it down the drain. The biggest problem is, I don't know what I did differently than my other batches. I used a blowoff tube, but I ran it into a bucket of starsan. Any ideas on how it got infected?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Infections are rare, but they do suck, nonetheless. A little more info about your process and sanitation will help, but it is likely something small like not thoroughly santizing your racking cane, or a small amount of krausen stuck in the bottling spigot of your bucket after the last batch. (had that one happen to me once...)

Think back... is there any chance you did not sanitize something, or maybe did not sanitize well enough...

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 04-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
SavoryChef
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I feel your pain. Just had my first after 41 batches.

My Cellar http://www.cellarhq.com/cellar/Savorychef

Untappd: Savorychef

Old 04-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Continual use of one sanitizer results in the propagation of bugs resistant to that specific sanitizer. I do a bleach bomb every 10 batches just to keep those bugs at bay -- so far so good *knock on wood*

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 04-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 274 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Aside from sanitation, you should also look at how much air your beer was exposed to after the completion of fermentation. If you're splashing while racking or racking multiple times after a majority of CO2 has been released, then the exposure of oxygen will promote the growth of acetobacter.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:20 AM   #6
WoolyBooger
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

I am very meticulous about my sanitation. I only racked one time (to the secondary) and I was quick about it. The only difference from most batches is that I started off with a blowoff tube. I was a little gun shy and trying to be proactive because the previous batch blew out my airlock. But the tube was washed and sanitized and it was running to a bucket of sanitizer. I am really stumped on this one.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:27 AM   #7
DoubleAught
...is drinking again
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhamilton View Post
Continual use of one sanitizer results in the propagation of bugs resistant to that specific sanitizer. I do a bleach bomb every 10 batches just to keep those bugs at bay -- so far so good *knock on wood*
That's actually a very good idea, thanks for the tip.
In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:54 AM   #8
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhamilton View Post
Source? I've certainly not found that to be the case. You aren't sanitizing with antibiotics, after all. A cell can't "build up" a resistance to getting its cell wall lysed, because it either kills the cell or it doesn't happen.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 04-28-2012, 06:15 AM   #9
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven_stout View Post
Source? I've certainly not found that to be the case. You aren't sanitizing with antibiotics, after all. A cell can't "build up" a resistance to getting its cell wall lysed, because it either kills the cell or it doesn't happen.
exactly.

Quick Reply