Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Something I've figured out about food and beer...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #1
cweston
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default Something I've figured out about food and beer...

I enjoy beer more on its own, in most cases, than with food. (Actually, I have similar feelings about wine. I mean, wine has more of an obvious affinity for food IMHO, but if I really want to concentrate on and enjoy the drink, I prefer to just drink it.)

But one exception is stout.Hearty food and stout really complement each other well. I generally enjoy a stout more with food than by itself.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
I enjoy beer more on its own, in most cases, than with food. (Actually, I have similar feelings about wine. I mean, wine has more of an obvious affinity for food IMHO, but if I really want to concentrate on and enjoy the drink, I prefer to just drink it.)

But one exception is stout.Hearty food and stout really complement each other well. I generally enjoy a stout more with food than by itself.
Steak and Stout: the perfect winter combination.

I like hoppy ales with meat, and sweeter ales with seafood. Something about matching the color of the beer with the food I guess.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #3
Chrus
Recipes 

Beer is a lot like wine, in that it works well with food. But unlike wine... its very hard to get a food/beer combo thats terrible... pretty much all beer will go with any food. Of course there are some combos that work better than others... but ya cant stuff it up too badly.

Gotta love beer

Old 05-03-2007, 01:39 PM   #4
God Emporer BillyBrew

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Personally, I love a good IPA and some spicy thai food. Other than that, I mostly drink water with my meals and beer for dessert.

---------------------------------------------------
Desert Planet Brewing Co.

Primary :Bloody Nose Porter
Primary 2: Bloody Nose Porter
Secondary: Blackberry Melomel
Secondary 2:air
Bottled : 14 Pound Hammer Cider, Punkin Ale, know ale, Domino wheat
Keg 1: **** Inside Her
Keg 2: IPA
Keg 3: one on a weeknight, two on a weekend IIPA
Future : Ginger Cream Ale,

Old 05-03-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've got to disagree. Beer improves almost any meal, and when you find that awesome pairing, it's transcendent. Like a few years ago, Garrett Oliver was in our shop signing books and doing a beer tasting with us. He paired his Monster barleywine with some Stilton. Simply unreal! Now, every time I have that beer or any b-wine like it, I crave stilton. Some deal happened with Eggenberg's "Natur Trub" unfiltered pils and homemade guacamole dip.

Anyway, read Garrett Oliver's "The Brewmaster's Table". He really does a great job of integrating food and beer.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-03-2007, 02:54 PM   #6
GoBrewers
Recipes 

I would agree that stout + steak = awesome. But I don't think that pairing is head and shoulders over the experience you get with a nice cab or another full bodied red. IMHO, where beer/food pairings really shine is with spicy ethnic dishes, like Indian and Thai, etc. There really is no good wine (that I've found) that can stand up to those big spices, but the carbonation and bite of a restrained ale or lager, say a Helles bock or APA, is just fantastic. Cools down the tongue and is just a nice palette cleanser, in a way. Just my $.02

GoBrewers

Old 05-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #7
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Evan--you're disagreeing that I typically enjoy beer more on it's own than with food? Wow, you must be very in touch with my taste buds!

Seriously--I get what you're saying. But on any given weeknight, when Stilton is not on the menu...

Plus, I generally have one beer on a weeknight, and I prefer to have it a little later in the evening, when the evening's work is done and I can collapse on the couch.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Last edited by cweston; 05-03-2007 at 03:06 PM.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:07 PM   #8
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts

Just think -

Without beer, a porterhouse steak would just be a house steak.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:09 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
Evan--you're disagreeing that I typically enjoy beer more on it's own than with food? Wow, you must be very in touch with my taste buds!
Yes, actually, I know what's better for you than you do. Nice to meet you, my name is The US Government.

Quote:
Seriously--I get what you're saying. But on any given weeknight, when Stilton is not on the menu...
Sure, but still, all in all, I find that it's easier to pair food with beer than with wine---and I'm a wine nerd too.

Quote:
Pluse, I generally have one beer on a weeknight, and I prefer to have it a little later in the evening, when the evening's work is done and I can collapse on the couch.
One? Damn, good on you! Last night I had a few. The Siegnuriale from Unibroue was awesome, and the Redbach (rodenbach w/ kriek) tasted like a cherry tootsie pop. heheh. But yeah, I get what you're saying. I just usually have a beer or wine with dinner, and it usually makes the meal better.

I'm right and you're wrong. Can we just leave it at that?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-03-2007, 04:10 PM   #10
Rook
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree with the OP greatly.

I enjoy beer when that is all that is on my palate. I find that food especially detracts from my palate and I enjoy the beer less. I perfer a tall glass of milk with most dinners (ESPECIALLY spicy foods) and a tall frosty IPA afterwards for dessert.

Quick Reply