Solo Drinkin'?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeeordye11

Reaction score
Is it a problem, if one periodically (several times per week) consumes alcoholic beverages by themself? Please comment...

Only a problem if you don't enjoy it. I enjoy a good brew both alone and with company. It's only a problem when you don't enjoy it, but instead need it IMHO.

If you're logged in to HBT, chances are you're not drinking alone. And if you still think you are, turn on Cheers.

I would suspect that it would be a problem if you were not drinking for the taste of the beer but solely to get drunk, and if you were regularly doing this, and if you were hiding the amount that you were drinking from those around you, and it was between monday and tuesday, and it was not your birthday, and you in space. upside down wearing purple underwear trying to speak yooper.

P.S. Hi little drunk yooper!!! :mug:

it is absolutely not a problem, you only have a problem if you cant have i life outside your booze. :)
i have drank all alone. think of it as everyone else doesnt knwo what their missin'.

I don't know what you're talking about...........

Alone or not, beer is GOOD! :D

PS- This thread brought to you by the PUI group. PUI (posting under the influence) can not be held responsible for the content of this message. It may or may not reflect the opinions of this organization. It may or may not reflect the opinions of the sponsor. It may or may not even reflect the opinions of the poster who may or may not have forgotten about this post entirely.

I'm not drinking alone, I just made a starter, I'm drinking with millions of my little yeast friends!!!

Still, it's fine to drink alone as long as you don't prefer that to drinking with friends

I drink alone almost every night I don't work, but I usually only have 2-3 beers. If you're drinking 20-30 every night, that might be a problem.

I no longer call it drinking. I call it either Quality Control, Research, or Inventory Reduction. That way I can try to deduct it on my taxes (though I doubt it would ever work).

Seriously, I don't think it is a problem unless it starts to effect your life, professional or social, in a negative way.

And if you need someone to drink with, you always have these guys: :tank:

BTW that got me thinking . . . .
They say planning your drinking is a sign of having a problem . . .
but at the same time drinking alone is supposedly a sign too . . .
What if you invite someone over for a beer?
Now ya got a plan and a partner . . .

Ya cant win, F' em

SWMBO usually works nights, and kids go to bed around 9. Well sometimes you don't really have a choice.

Now if I m drinking at home by myself while posting here, does that clount as drinking alone?

And if you don't like the feeling of drinking alone, move over here to Japan. In Japan it is legal to drink in public and many people do it. So, if I'm feeling lonely I can just walk down to the train station (4 minutes away), buy a can of suds at the kiosk in front of the station, and join all the other people hanging around with beers in their hands. It's even legal to drink while riding on public transportation here (trains, buses, bicycles) and in parks. Meanwhile, time for me to pour myself one from my freshly chilled keg of coffee stout.

Geologist said:
And if you don't like the feeling of drinking alone, move over here to Japan. In Japan it is legal to drink in public and many people do it. So, if I'm feeling lonely I can just walk down to the train station (4 minutes away), buy a can of suds at the kiosk in front of the station, and join all the other people hanging around with beers in their hands. It's even legal to drink while riding on public transportation here (trains, buses, bicycles) and in parks. Meanwhile, time for me to pour myself one from my freshly chilled keg of coffee stout.

The most recent issue of the Economist put the spot light on Japan and binge drinking. Dude, there are some serious drunks in the land of the rising sun!

g0dolphins said:
The most recent issue of the Economist put the spot light on Japan and binge drinking. Dude, there are some serious drunks in the land of the rising sun!

You got that one right. With alcohol available 24/7 at convenience stores and vending machines it's a no brainer. There's nothing unusual about seeing someone passed out on the street or puking inside the train late at night or early in the morning when you're on your way to the office. And many restaurants have a 2 hour all-you-can-drink special for around $25. I attended a farewell party last night with one of these all you can eat and drink meals. It was fun but I generally can drink more and enjoy it if I spread it out over 4-6 hours. Needless to say I tried to eat and drink my money's worth during the 2 hour period (lots of crab legs and tasteless lager). The owner of the company saved me $15 train fare and a 2.5 hour commute home last night; he lives 5 minutes away from me by car so he offered me a ride in his chauffered mercedes 600 class. Only takes 1.5 hours by car and could have a nap to boot. Got home and the wife had 2/3 of a bottle of wine on the table with 2 glasses. But she didn't want any since she and her friend had polished off another bottle earlier, so I drank it up. Nice to have a wife that likes to drink with me. :mug:
Was planning to brew today but can't seem to think clearly....

Pumbaa said:
BTW that got me thinking . . . .
They say planning your drinking is a sign of having a problem . . .
but at the same time drinking alone is supposedly a sign too . . .
What if you invite someone over for a beer?
Now ya got a plan and a partner . . .

Ya cant win, F' em

Ridiculous! Planning just means your being responsible. And I've been very responsible tonight! *hic* :drunk:

Geologist said:
You got that one right. With alcohol available 24/7 at convenience stores and vending machines it's a no brainer. There's nothing unusual about seeing someone passed out on the street or puking inside the train late at night or early in the morning when you're on your way to the office. And many restaurants have a 2 hour all-you-can-drink special for around $25. I attended a farewell party last night with one of these all you can eat and drink meals. It was fun but I generally can drink more and enjoy it if I spread it out over 4-6 hours. Needless to say I tried to eat and drink my money's worth during the 2 hour period (lots of crab legs and tasteless lager). The owner of the company saved me $15 train fare and a 2.5 hour commute home last night; he lives 5 minutes away from me by car so he offered me a ride in his chauffered mercedes 600 class. Only takes 1.5 hours by car and could have a nap to boot. Got home and the wife had 2/3 of a bottle of wine on the table with 2 glasses. But she didn't want any since she and her friend had polished off another bottle earlier, so I drank it up. Nice to have a wife that likes to drink with me. :mug:
Was planning to brew today but can't seem to think clearly....

2.5hr commute! Crikey. That would drive me to drink in the first place. ...do you have a hip flask?;)

In the morning I generally just read on the train; arrive and start work at 11AM. Leave around 5 or 6PM and ride in the special class car of the train where the girls come around selling beer and snacks and the seats recline. I generally read, drink, and eat a snack on my way home. If I had to do this 5 days a week I wouldn't; plain and simple. I get paid a full time salary (enough buy a condo in Tokyo, support my family, and child support to my former) to go to my office 3 days a week, 35 weeks a year, and work from 11AM to 5 or 6PM. The company picks up my daily travel expenses, which is about $500 per month. It's fairly good deal and my boss likes me.

Geologist said:
In the morning I generally just read on the train; arrive and start work at 11AM. Leave around 5 or 6PM and ride in the special class car of the train where the girls come around selling beer and snacks and the seats recline. I generally read, drink, and eat a snack on my way home. If I had to do this 5 days a week I wouldn't; plain and simple. I get paid a full time salary (enough buy a condo in Tokyo, support my family, and child support to my former) to go to my office 3 days a week, 35 weeks a year, and work from 11AM to 5 or 6PM. The company picks up my daily travel expenses, which is about $500 per month. It's fairly good deal and my boss likes me.

I'm moving to Japan! I love the Guitars and if the drinkin's that easy hell it's a no brainer to me..:D :tank:

To me it's simple: If your goal is to get hammered, you might have a problem; however, most people who have an alcohol problem know it, just don't admit it... BTW, I often enjoy a beer by myself, especially when reading this board. It has that effect.

I'd say 95% of my drinking is when I'm alone. About the only exceptions are monthly club meetings. I actually drink less when I'm by myself. When I'm talking to other homebrewers & sampling is when I lose track.

[I count being in a brewpub by myself as alone, regardless of how many people are there.]

Porter fan said:
I'm moving to Japan! I love the Guitars and if the drinkin's that easy hell it's a no brainer to me..:D :tank:

Japan: a nation of alcoholics.
But take heed. Fair warning, etc. Smoking cigarettes is also widespread and legal anywhere anytime. If you smoke and drink it's like heaven over here. Personally I quit smoking except for a pipe once in a while, so I prefer to sit in a non-smoking area of a restaurant when they have one (most don't). But I'll sit wherever is available if nothing else.

As for drinking, yes you can drink until you drop any time of day or night, and then do it again, ad infinitum.

And by the way, being a native English speaker with a college degree will get you a job that pays at least $2500 a month for just speaking English over here. Great for recent graduates that want to spend a year or three getting some international experience and saving up a little money.

Now time for another beer....:drunk:

skeeordye11 said:
Is it a problem, if one periodically (several times per week) consumes alcoholic beverages by themself? Please comment...

IMHO I believe that in the US there is a stigma attached to anyone who might have a single drink every night with supper.........(that's dinner for the other 49 states and our international friends). I heard discussions and read topics that discuss this situation and depending on who you listen to, hear, or believe 1 drink a day is considered an alcoholic. In other countries 1, 2, or 3 session beers isn't out of the norm for a big portion of the population.

Drinking alone a problem? Could be, but this hobby is way too time consuming if one simply does it to have beer to get hammered. Plus, it isn't really that cheap either unless you go all grain and buy in bulk since way too many of the mega-swills are on sale weekly at the grocery store. I think about beer all the time but most often it is how I can refine my techniques, new recipes, new gadgets, etc. If you drink alone to enjoy the fruits of your labor then :rockin: on. If you drink to get drunk then hopefully a family member or friend will intervene and help you before it becomes a serious problem. Just my $0.02. Now heres to you. :mug:
Jeffrey

runhard said:
IMHO I believe that in the US there is a stigma attached to anyone who might have a single drink every night with supper.........(that's dinner for the other 49 states and our international friends). I heard discussions and read topics that discuss this situation and depending on who you listen to, hear, or believe 1 drink a day is considered an alcoholic. In other countries 1, 2, or 3 session beers isn't out of the norm for a big portion of the population.

Drinking alone a problem? Could be, but this hobby is way too time consuming if one simply does it to have beer to get hammered. Plus, it isn't really that cheap either unless you go all grain and buy in bulk since way too many of the mega-swills are on sale weekly at the grocery store. I think about beer all the time but most often it is how I can refine my techniques, new recipes, new gadgets, etc. If you drink alone to enjoy the fruits of your labor then :rockin: on. If you drink to get drunk then hopefully a family member or friend will intervene and help you before it becomes a serious problem. Just my $0.02. Now heres to you. :mug:
Jeffrey

Still supper here bro. Dinner is lunch everywhere else (I guess), lunch is in-between-meals.
And I agree with your assesment of the drinking part.

Geologist said:
Japan: a nation of alcoholics.
But take heed. Fair warning, etc. Smoking cigarettes is also widespread and legal anywhere anytime. If you smoke and drink it's like heaven over here. Personally I quit smoking except for a pipe once in a while, so I prefer to sit in a non-smoking area of a restaurant when they have one (most don't). But I'll sit wherever is available if nothing else.

As for drinking, yes you can drink until you drop any time of day or night, and then do it again, ad infinitum.

And by the way, being a native English speaker with a college degree will get you a job that pays at least $2500 a month for just speaking English over here. Great for recent graduates that want to spend a year or three getting some international experience and saving up a little money.

Now time for another beer....:drunk:

I smoke too.;)

Forgot to mention about guitars....
I don't play bass anymore but there are music stores everywhere. Whether it's guitars, percussion, or horns, whatever you want is available in name brands, no-name brands, and collectibles. So, you can do as many aspiring musicians do over here and set up in front of a commuter train station at rush hour to entertain all the people and hope to get scouted by label while selling your homemade CD's do the public. And you can drink beer (or anything else) and smoke whatever you want while your doing all this.

Since I live in downtown Tokyo I see this pretty much every day and don't pay much attention to it since most of the music is Japanese Pop style, which I loath. Personally I like to listen to hard rock to relax, jazz or classical when I'm working, and latin when I'm dancing.

Geologist said:
Forgot to mention about guitars....
I don't play bass anymore but there are music stores everywhere. Whether it's guitars, percussion, or horns, whatever you want is available in name brands, no-name brands, and collectibles. So, you can do as many aspiring musicians do over here and set up in front of a commuter train station at rush hour to entertain all the people and hope to get scouted by label while selling your homemade CD's do the public. And you can drink beer (or anything else) and smoke whatever you want while your doing all this.

Since I live in downtown Tokyo I see this pretty much every day and don't pay much attention to it since most of the music is Japanese Pop style, which I loath. Personally I like to listen to hard rock to relax, jazz or classical when I'm working, and latin when I'm dancing.

Yeah I love the Fender's your countrymen are producing the craftsmanship is astounding. You and I have the same Musical taste.:rockin:

Back