Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Soliciting opinions on this porter recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
Tim_Kreitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Soliciting opinions on this porter recipe

Yeah, yeah, I know it's the middle of summer and I live in West Texas. I realize I should be brewing nothing but beers like APAs and IPAs right now. Well I don't care; I needs me a nice keg of porter, so I've designed the following recipe. This is a new formula I've never used before. It seems like it should be great (on paper, anyway), I'd just enjoy any ideas or feedback you all might be willing to offer.

Modded recipe in post 12.

On Draft: Amarillo Brillo Honey Blonde Ale
On Draft: Cherry Christmas Session Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2738 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 359

IMO there's no wrong time to brew a porter. I brewed a porter on the 4th and its hot here in east Texas as well. I don't really brew according to season too much, I just brew what I like when I want it. As far as the recipe if it was me I'd reduce the black patent and up the chocolate malt. And also throw in some wheat or oats and possibly use a blend of two different crystal malts. But that's just me and my tastes.

Long story short, Beer.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
Tim_Kreitz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyS View Post
IMO there's no wrong time to brew a porter. I brewed a porter on the 4th and its hot here in east Texas as well.
I can dig it. Plus, you guys have a whole different kind of heat over there in the forrest of the pine than we deal with out here in the badlands.

Quote:
As far as the recipe if it was me I'd reduce the black patent and up the chocolate malt. And also throw in some wheat or oats and possibly use a blend of two different crystal malts. But that's just me and my tastes.
Those are all good suggestions. I had thought of upping the Chocolate Malt to one pound, but I hadn't thought of reducing the Black Patent. 8 ounces *is* quite a bit, but I like the flavor so I'll probably leave it as is. However, I'm gonna go ahead and add more Chocolate.

The only wheat I have in my stock right now is torrified. It wouldn't add any fermentability, but it might boost the head retention and add some mouthfeel. Flavor-wise, I'm not sure what it would do to a porter, though. When I eat it from the sack, it's a bit 'popcorny', to create a term.

Anyone have thoughts on adding 4 to 8 ounces of torrified wheat to the grainbill?

Old 07-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2738 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 359

I wish I could help you out with what the torrified wheat would add as far as flavor to a porter. In porters I've only ever used malted wheat and chocolate wheat. But you should get the benefit of added head retention and body.

Long story short, Beer.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Kreitz View Post
Those are all good suggestions. I had thought of upping the Chocolate Malt to one pound, but I hadn't thought of reducing the Black Patent. 8 ounces *is* quite a bit, but I like the flavor so I'll probably leave it as is. However, I'm gonna go ahead and add more Chocolate.
I agree with many of the previously posted thoughts including that it's never a bad time to brew a porter. My choice would be to up the chocolate malt a bit. A pound might be too much if you keep all of the black patent so cutting the bp back to 1/4 lb is a thought. Like WesleyS I also prefer using a blend of crystal as the 120L by itself can be a little sharp. You could try a similar approach in the crystal as with the dark malts and perhaps use 8 oz of 55L and 4-6 oz of the 120L. Whichever way you go it's going to be a good porter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Kreitz View Post
The only wheat I have in my stock right now is torrified. It wouldn't add any fermentability,
Sure it will. The torrified wheat has lots of convertable starch content. The torrified wheat to me, and I have only used it in bitters & pale ales, gives a subtle toasty/grainy flavor note. If you do deiced to use it I would go with a whole pound since a small amount is probably just going to be lost in the mix and use it to replace a pound of pale malt in the grist.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:40 AM   #6
Tim_Kreitz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
I agree with many of the previously posted thoughts including that it's never a bad time to brew a porter. My choice would be to up the chocolate malt a bit. A pound might be too much if you keep all of the black patent so cutting the bp back to 1/4 lb is a thought. Like WesleyS I also prefer using a blend of crystal as the 120L by itself can be a little sharp. You could try a similar approach in the crystal as with the dark malts and perhaps use 8 oz of 55L and 4-6 oz of the 120L. Whichever way you go it's going to be a good porter.

The torrified wheat has lots of convertable starch content. The torrified wheat to me, and I have only used it in bitters & pale ales, gives a subtle toasty/grainy flavor note. If you do deiced to use it I would go with a whole pound since a small amount is probably just going to be lost in the mix and use it to replace a pound of pale malt in the grist.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm gonna take your advice on all aspects and modify the recipe. Maybe I'll even change the name to 'Homebrew Talk Porter'. Heh-heh.

I'll post the modded recipe in a bit.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:41 AM   #7
Tim_Kreitz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
But you should get the benefit of added head retention and body.
Definitely. Thanks again.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:47 AM   #8
Tim_Kreitz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Modded recipe moved down.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #9
harrymanback92
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Looks great to me. Here's something I've started doing with my porters/stouts.

I add my dark grains and heavy caramel malts at vorlauf. I find this gives me the color I want, with a smooth flavor, that I prefer. Before doing that, my stouts/porters would be to acrid or roasty.

You could try adding .5lb of the chocolate to the mash, and probably the crystal malts, while adding the other .5lb chocolate and the roasted malt at vorlauf.

That's my two cents. Cheers.

PS: I suggest chinhook in a porter. I find it delicious.

Primary:Farmhouse Triple, Simcoe Session IPA, 100% Brett Brux IPA
Conditioning: Willamette English Pale Ale

Old 07-10-2012, 12:32 AM   #10
Tim_Kreitz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymanback92 View Post
PS: I suggest chinhook in a porter. I find it delicious.
I'm gonna take that suggestion, too, because I've just discovered that all my Fuggles are gone. As luck would have it, I have exactly two ounces of Chinook.

Updating recipe!

Quick Reply