The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > So, you are at a non-craft beer place... What do you order?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
KoedBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default So, you are at a non-craft beer place... What do you order?

So, you have all been there. You are at a bar or restaurant watching a game or hanging with some friends and the only beer on the menu is B/M/C and in my case Yuengling is also on the list here in PA.

What do you do? I don't drink liquor, and wine is considered too feminine by some, if I even want that sleeping pill. So what do you order?

Personally, I have stopped drinking, unless there is a high quality beer that I want to drink. Even if like Hoegarden, and Guiness are on tap I will not drink a beer.
I am still trying to fight off allowing a beer gut to form on my midsection, so I allow myself to "take nights off" from drinking when I go somewhere without what I consider good beer.
So now I am an ultra beer snob to these guys who only see me drinking my beer or some really expensive stuff that they are afraid to try.

Is this just me? I honestly can not drink the mass produced beers anymore, my tastebuds have been spoiled. The closest thing to a major brew that I can drink is some Sam Adams (but even that is tough anymore).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 366

are you sure you didn't mean to post this on BA?

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894
People Like This 
Old 08-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'll take a Yuengling or Hoegaarden over Boston Lager, but all three are decent beers in my opinion. But I rarely go to places that don't have good beer on tap when I want to drink, and thankfully, most places around town at least carry some Swamp Head beers now.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Huell Melon Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 08-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
j1laskey
Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Stop being so pompous and have a Highlife.
The Secretion Brewery

Let's think it over and stop making sense
bad coffee Likes This 
Old 08-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoedBrew View Post
... and wine is considered too feminine by some, if I even want that sleeping pill. So what do you order?
Really? You're that insecure, and/or that governed by other people's opinions? Really?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Your tastes and preferences are your call. I can understand the opportunity to fight the beer gut. I love beer in almost all forms, and always find something on the menu to order. It's never my first choice , but drinkable/enjoyable.

Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 08-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
are you sure you didn't mean to post this on BA?
+ 1,000

EAC bmc bashing threads are so tiring.....

I don't like rice adjuncted light lagers, or rice adjuncted lagers in general, not because they're BMC, or made by the "evil empire" and I'm "better" than those folks that drink it, but because they contain rice. So I don't like bud, bud light or sapporo for instance. But if other folks do, it's their choice. If that's all that's available, I'll drink wine or mixed drinks.

BUT, if they have Sam Adam's or Guinness, or an "MC" beer that is corn adjuncted, such as Miller, or Michelob, or more than likely here in Michigan Labatt's (like when I'm at a hockey game,) and if I'm in the mood for a beer, then I'll have that.

It's beer for chrissakes.....it's all about what you like, it's not about elitism.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1laskey View Post
Stop being so pompous and have a Highlife.
... and yeah, High Life ain't a bad beer, especially if you're eating pub-grub kind of food. I'd rather have a nice IPA, but High Life, or a Molson or Labatt's Blue (if I'm up in Buffalo), those go down pretty nice when eating pizza or burgers, too.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
KoedBrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Reevy - Do you really have to bash people all the time?
1. I am assuming you are talking about BeerAdvocate?
2. What is EAC?
3. I have never bashed bmc on here before and I really am not with this post....Did you read the subject? What do you order? I just said I won't drink them, how is that bashing???

You have some great posts on here Reevy, but there are also people who don't even bother posting on this site anymore because of your comments to them after posting a question.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
... and yeah, High Life ain't a bad beer, especially if you're eating pub-grub kind of food. I'd rather have a nice IPA, but High Life, or a Molson or Labatt's Blue (if I'm up in Buffalo), those go down pretty nice when eating pizza or burgers, too.
Now that Yuengling's hit Ohio, some of the guys from hbt went down and brought some up here. I'm really impressed with their "Traditional Lager" and the Lord Chesterfield's ales. But really more so with the lager. It's rich and full flavored.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply