So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed up a schwarzbier and gruit stout over the weekend. If you're curious about what goes into the gruit stout, it's some amount of everything in this pic. Seems like a lot, but it works. One of the only weird recipes from my early brewing days that I still make.
20220320_123606.jpg

This weekend I brewed up a Honey/Victory PA with 8 lb MO, 3/4 lb of both Honey malt and Victory (with 1/2 lb of White Wheat to clean the rollers from the conditioning) then 1 oz simcoe at 60, .5 zythos 20, .5 cluster 10 and 1 oz each styrian golding and Tettnang at FO. pitched 1 packet of S04 warm and cooled it in the house. I got lazy at the end of the day. Hopefully it is okay. :mug:

Is it the weekend yet? Well, I brewed a Dubbel this evening! It was slightly unplanned. Well, I was thinking of brewing a batch of Saison soon then...

Last Saturday I made up a 2L starter of some WLP530 that was harvested 10 months ago. It ended up kicking off and producing a nice amount of yeast. I planned to just put it back in a jar, but figured I had been wanting to brew another batch of Dubbel. I ended up with 2.7 gals in the fermenter at 1.069.

I like to at least sample the spent wort from the starter to make sure it is not funky. It tasted good enough that I ended up pouring myself a full pint to enjoy!

IMG_3856.JPG
IMG_3859.JPG

I'm brewing for the first time in maybe 15 years. BIAB Lawnmower Cream Ale. I know I copied it from somewhere, most likely a recipe from Brewfather. (83.3% pale, 8.3% corn, 4.2 % each Biscuit and carapils)

So, not only am I making beer for the first time in forever, I am using new equipment, electricity and BIAB for the first time. I'm expecting a more sophisticated version of a $h!t show.

Wish me luck

I'm brewing for the first time in maybe 15 years. BIAB Lawnmower Cream Ale. I know I copied it from somewhere, most likely a recipe from Brewfather. (83.3% pale, 8.3% corn, 4.2 % each Biscuit and carapils)

So, not only am I making beer for the first time in forever, I am using new equipment, electricity and BIAB for the first time. I'm expecting a more sophisticated version of a $h!t show.

Wish me luck

Good luck and congratulations on your return to brewing! May your bag never burn to your element!

I took a four year sabbatical from brewing and made the switch to electricity when I returned as well. It's so nice not having the stress of wondering if I actually have enough propane to get through the batch or putting off brews until I get the tank refilled.

Now I brew indoors all cold winter long and outdoors in the summer when I want to be outside. Electricity really makes brewing easy imo.

I'm brewing next Tuesday (if my ingredients arrive on Monday like the tracking says). It's going to be a Session Dunkelweizen. First time brewing this style. They're $4.50 a bottle at our local Total Wine & More, which is the only place that carries Dunkelweizen around here.

I just got back into brewing and made the world's simplest recipe ever today. 6 lbs liquid golden light extract, some caramel malt for color, and 1oz Willamette for an hour. I don't know if you can get simpler than that.

You can get simpler.
Use dry malt extract. Easier to measure and no working to get the last extract out of the jug/can/pouch.

I am way behind all of you in experience level, and after starting back up last year had to take almost a full year off from making beer. Due to a significant medical issue. Today I am making a Black IPA from a NB extract kit (Ace of Spades). My first Black IPA and this one will also be the first I keg instead of bottle. A lot of folks say extract is fake brewing, but we all have to start somewhere, and right now with the equipment I have and my comfort level, it works for me. Hope this one is as good as I hope it is. Hahaha.
DC1D77EB-1B70-4767-8FFB-BB40D5E41AE5.jpeg

I am way behind all of you in experience level, and after starting back up last year had to take almost a full year off from making beer. Due to a significant medical issue. Today I am making a Black IPA from a NB extract kit (Ace of Spades). My first Black IPA and this one will also be the first I keg instead of bottle. A lot of folks say extract is fake brewing, but we all have to start somewhere, and right now with the equipment I have and my comfort level, it works for me. Hope this one is as good as I hope it is. Hahaha. View attachment 764123

Brewing beer is brewing. Don’t downplay yourself. Hopefully your health is on the upswing and you can continue brewing as much as your heart is content. Cheers to better times! 🍻

I think..two weeks now and I've said....I need to get to LHBS to get some grains....and it hasn't happened.

and I haven't wanted to purchase grains online because it is more expensive...might be a good idea to just do it at this point...yeesh.

It's all dependent upon where you live and how your LHBS operates. I still buy my 55lb sacks and fill my gas at my LHBS, chiefly out of a desire to see them continue to keep going, but also out of gratitude for keeping me brewing throughout the pandemic.

On the other hand, I can frequently buy grain from Beer, Beer, and More Beer in five or ten pound increments for less than my LHBS charges and hit the free shipping threshold. Hops are always cheaper online.

Nothing wrong with buying online, you just have to be smart about it.

Brewed inside for the first time in about 15+ years! Was nice since outside temp was 27F this morning and while not especially warm, the garage was 53F. Brewed this nice American wheat with some Belma, Pekko, and Cashmere hops. Also got to finally use the Tilt I got for Christmas!

Attachments

• 20220327_165500.jpg
    20220327_165500.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
Threw together an Oct fest which can sit till Sept. (sure it will) Trying a Kentucky Common brew. Seemed easy enough with basically Flaked Corn & Rye as main ingredients. Didn't use cara or any other sweet tastes. I Just want a crisp old fashioned beer. So far the nose knows and it smells quite tasty. Thats all.

Taking multitasking to the next level today; working from home on what promises to be a very busy Monday at the ports, brewing a batch of Moose Drool/Caribou Slobber, and between times working on a sock. Wort is heading to boil right now, should be all buttoned up by 9am. Haven't done a dark ale in a long time, and completely forgot how freaking good the wort smells; so brown & roasty, whole house smells terrific.

I brewed a CDA on Saturday. I've been brewing a lot of low ABV bitters and pale ales but this one will be a bit of a bruiser starting at 1.072. I did a big whirlpool charge of Amarillo and Centennial and the airlocks is releasing all kinds of amazing smells now!

Brewed a kolsch this past Sunday for lawn mower month at the club. The recipe calls for kumquats in the keg but I might just do half fruited and half normal since I've never brewed this particular kolsch recipe before. I added some wp hops just cause I dig hops. Should be a good one I think!

8.25 lbs- German pils
8 oz- Vienna
1.25 oz German hallertauer @90
1 oz German hallertauer @ wp
Wlp0029

Back