So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mean, brew days that I don't find some way to lose time - even just 5 minutes - are rare. It's a skill :D

Otoh, today was like greased lightning. No mill issues, no mlt/hlt overshoots/undershoots, no sluggish mash recirculation or lautering (which, considering this was a 45% wheat beer, was a good possibility), did not forget to actually turn on the water to the IC for 10 minutes (like the last brew :drunk:)...and on and on.

Cheers! (Prolly just jinxed tf out of the next brew, but wth, we're all living for now these days :D)

Just ordered a bunch of grain from my LHBS, for "curbside service" pickup later today. Brewing a big azz barleywine just cuz I'm bored. Got this recipe from Omega yeast website, "10 day barleywine" using Hornindal kveik. Should solve my lack of cooled fermentation space!

Started late, but brewing a Kama Citra session IPA
20200410_104904.jpg

If I can get my car repairs done tomorrow, will brew up another IPA on Sunday as a prize for getting it done; mainly because I'm running low on yeast, and I have an IPA in the fermenter right now that will be keggable Sunday, so can just rack right onto that yeast cake. Got everything else, except propane might futz out, but we haven't had any shortages around here....yet. Haven't decided yet on the hops, but itching to see how well Mosaic & Citra play together.

Brewed an IPA today with el dorado and citra and then added Ella hops as whirlpool addition. Made a galaxy/Citra IPA that has been my favorite so far; hoping this new one is even better.

count me in.

For the first time in years!

I'll be hitting the store for yeast and keg rebuild kits this afternoon, as well as to grind my grain (yeah, I bring grain *to* a Homebrew store . . . and the owner gets to tell tales about a lunatic with 30 lbs of grain and a massive drill in the trunk :p).

I've dragged the cajun cooker and former keg out of storage, and insured that it draws from both of my propane tanks. A fuller test this afternoon.

A new 100 qt wheeled Coleman cooler arrived yesterday, and I pulled the EZMasher and tube from the old, disintegrating cooler.

I'll sniff some old hops to make sure they haven't gone funny before I run to the shop (most are still vacuum packed from the manufacturer, and have been frozen for years).

It seems that I *do* need a lighter for the cooker (hmm, I wonder if I could take the one from the gas grill waiting for scraping . . . in the meantime, just a long lighter).

I probably need a new siphon starter; we'll see if a usable one shows up . . .

I'll get a pack or three of a fast, temperature tolerant yeast . . . we let it be warmer here than most like, but the fermenters will sit in a water bath with 2L bottles of ice changed a couple of times a day . . . . .

If I can't find tubing laying around, there's an insane amount still left on my wort chiller . . .

I wonder what I'm forgetting?

I'll be using about 5 lbs of steel cut oats from Winco, about 3 pounds of cara pils, and about 10 of two-row. I suppose about 4oz of whatever that 12% hop in the freezer is, and maybe 3 or 4 oz of cascade to finish, and a similar amount later sunk in the serving kegs . . .

But just what am I forgetting?
More hops:yes:

count me in.

For the first time in years!

I'll be hitting the store for yeast and keg rebuild kits this afternoon, as well as to grind my grain (yeah, I bring grain *to* a Homebrew store . . . and the owner gets to tell tales about a lunatic with 30 lbs of grain and a massive drill in the trunk :p).

I've dragged the cajun cooker and former keg out of storage, and insured that it draws from both of my propane tanks. A fuller test this afternoon.

A new 100 qt wheeled Coleman cooler arrived yesterday, and I pulled the EZMasher and tube from the old, disintegrating cooler.

I'll sniff some old hops to make sure they haven't gone funny before I run to the shop (most are still vacuum packed from the manufacturer, and have been frozen for years).

It seems that I *do* need a lighter for the cooker (hmm, I wonder if I could take the one from the gas grill waiting for scraping . . . in the meantime, just a long lighter).

I probably need a new siphon starter; we'll see if a usable one shows up . . .

I'll get a pack or three of a fast, temperature tolerant yeast . . . we let it be warmer here than most like, but the fermenters will sit in a water bath with 2L bottles of ice changed a couple of times a day . . . . .

If I can't find tubing laying around, there's an insane amount still left on my wort chiller . . .

I wonder what I'm forgetting?

I'll be using about 5 lbs of steel cut oats from Winco, about 3 pounds of cara pils, and about 10 of two-row. I suppose about 4oz of whatever that 12% hop in the freezer is, and maybe 3 or 4 oz of cascade to finish, and a similar amount later sunk in the serving kegs . . .

But just what am I forgetting?

Skip the water bath and get some kveik yeast.

BIAB pale ale first thing this morning, first in a year.
Nearly went belly up, was using hop spider for first time but managed to spill them all into brew kettle and then they clogged up the kettle outlet.
So got a sieve and turned kettle upside down to save the day. Hopefully no harm done

I had planned to brew on Saturday, April 11, 2020. However, local water authority is cleaning the lines and the chlorine/chloramine is strong. Much stronger than usual (normally I can knock out the public water chlorine/chloramine with 0.5 g metabisulphite).

I also realize I could use RO or bottled water, but with grocery store limited hours, travel restrictions, etc I'll just have to wait until the public water flushes.

If the weather holds, I plan on brewing the next iteration of my wild ale series. Gotta figure out a temporary setup for my new mill (was in the middle of constructing a permanent milling station with a friend who has the proper tools when the crap hit the fan), old one is getting close to useless. Double crushed last time and still barely got near the target OG.

It’s not the weekend but I just finished my first parti-gyle brewday.
I followed the recipe from Radical Brewing for the barleywine and added a pound each of Pils malt, Golden naked oats, and rye to the mashtun for the bitter.
I ended up with about 2 1/2 gallons of barleywine @ 1.092 SG and
just over 4 gallons of bitter @ 1.040.

Today one of my sons and a brew buddy and I, brewed a dark mild on the back lanai. Great day to be outside and due to the hot weather here in Florida we had the four ceiling fans on the porch going. In these current times we find ourselves in brewing today was a great change of pace to do something together and take our minds off of everything that is all around us. Brew day went smooth and hit all the numbers as predicted. Can't wait till we tap this one and put it on nitro!

Cheers,

John

I have two beers lined up for this weekend as long as SWMBO lets that happens

A Schwarzbier
70% - German Pilsner
16% - light Munich
8% - dark Munich
4% - Carafa II
2% - Chocolate Wheat
Yeast: 34/70
Hops: hallertau mittelfrüh

NEIIPA
70% - 2row
14% - Chit Malt
14% - malted oats
2% - Honey malt
Yeast: A24
Hops: Cashmere, Amarillo (pellets/cryo), Citra(pellets/cryo), and Sabro

Going to make an IPA and Hop up a Mead. The Mead is 6-months from consumption, but the IPA could in the Keg in a few week. Inventory management is a challenge during a pandemic. One needs both short an long term plans.

I have two beers lined up for this weekend as long as SWMBO lets that happens

A Schwarzbier
70% - German Pilsner
16% - light Munich
8% - dark Munich
4% - Carafa II
2% - Chocolate Wheat
Yeast: 34/70
Hops: hallertau mittelfrüh

NEIIPA
70% - 2row
14% - Chit Malt
14% - malted oats
2% - Honey malt
Yeast: A24
Hops: Cashmere, Amarillo (pellets/cryo), Citra(pellets/cryo), and Sabro
kind of curious why you are using both Carafa and chocolate wheat? I use chocolate wheat for color and omit the Carafa seeing how it is so little of the recipe it doesn't seem to affect the flavor.

kind of curious why you are using both Carafa and chocolate wheat? I use chocolate wheat for color and omit the Carafa seeing how it is so little of the recipe it doesn't seem to affect the flavor.
I typically use Carafa III and the Midnight wheat in my dark beers because I like the combo provides. So I went with it and since I only want a touch more roast than a typical schwarzbier, I went with chocolate wheat instead of midnight. I like to think I can tell the difference of the attributes even when it’s 2% of the grain bill

I may do 2 back to back 10 gallon batches in one day this weekend. Typically, how I do it seeing how everything out and the tools and cleaned and sanitized anyway.

My work cut my hours back and I now have Fridays off along with the accompanying 20% pay cut. Making the best of it currently; just doughed in on a sour, thanks to Gnomebrewer and RPH_Guy for the co-pitch method expertise! Following Gnomebrewer’s process with some slight changes from this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/really-easy-fruit-sour.675345/

Blonde Ale this weekend. Just ordered hops for an attempt at Pliny the Younger clone (ouch on the hop cost).

Back