Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > So who's brewing this weekend?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #10931
nickel23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I just finished a true brew american amber ale and a cascade IPA. 5 gallons of each. I am excited!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #10932
ColeR
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Making a 10 gal batch of a IIPA, that got a score of 37.5 last time it was scored per BJCP guidlines... YUuuummmmmm!! but i have been having a problem of recent, my Eff. has been higher that I intend, i set my brew house eff to 85% and i have been getting 87-92.6% its fine for a IIPA but my Amber? not so much.

CR-

Old 04-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #10933
AVLbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'll be brewing up my first lager this weekend! Also on the agenda is kegging my first batch (cream of three crops) and if I'm feeling really motivated bottling my RyePA. I guess I'll also end up washing the yeast from my cream ale too...

Old 04-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #10934
Euphist
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 32

My brother and his family are coming down this weekend, and he wants to start brewing, so we are going to brew something...just haven't decided which...

Old 04-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #10935
Cap'n Jewbeard

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I usually feel like having an extra hand around is a good time to try something complex, but then I also wonder whether bringing in an inexperienced 1st-time brewer will be more trouble than it's worth. Like, "Hey, you just, uh, stir this thing for me. That's important. Go on an' stir there."

Primary/Lagering: April-zen Festbier
Drinking: Starburn Spiced Amber
Drinking: Regulus Rye/Wheat with a bite
Drinking: George Takei's O My-bock

Old 04-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #10936
AVLbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Whenever I have new brewers over I try to keep it simple. Use equipment I've used successfully in the past and techniques I'm familiar with. I like their first time watching/helping to be as smooth and uneventful as possible. A good example was my buddy just got a new propane burner, and had invited two of his non-brewing friends over to "help" (i.e. drink beer and watch). When he heated up his water to boil in 15mins (instead of the normal hour on his electric stove) he wasn't prepared. His specialty grains were still in the kettle, he hadn't prepped his extract or hops, and was completely taken off guard (he normally brews AG in a 10gal igloo cooler but figured he would keep it "simple" with extract). The buddies just sort of watched as he ran around grabbing supplies and swearing! He quickly got everything under control, but ultimately the buddies just sort of got in the way. Just one new piece of equipment can throw a wrench into a brew day.

Now when some of my brewing buddies come over, then its time to try some new techniques or experiment! They can help out when things get crazy, or offer ideas/tips if things go wrong. In the above situation had the buddies been brewers, one could be assisting with getting out the specialty grains, while another could have been grabbing the extract and 60 min hop addition.

Either way have fun with your brother in town! I always love having new brewers (or soon to be new brewers over) and sharing my passion! I wish I had some friends/family coming over this weekend...It looks like I'll be out on my back porch brewing alone this weekend...

Old 04-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #10937
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Looking to do 10gal of either a Tripel or BM's Centennial Blonde this Sunday. Not 100% sure which I'll go with yet. Depends whether I can get a couple vials of wlp530 at the LHBS today when I pick up some starsan.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #10938
DaSwede
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Making a 5 gallon batch of my Sigtryggr's Legacy Vanilla Whiskey Stout. Last one I made was gone within a week from co-workers and friends...

Bottled: EdWort's Apfelwein, All Citra Pale Ale, Bourbon Vanilla Stout, and Belgian Quad.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #10939
Horseballs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've been thinking about making a DIPA due to the lack of hoppy beers on tap, but am waffling because I can probably sneak in another lager or two this season before the temps in the cellar get too high.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #10940
russrob81
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yoopers fizzy yellow water Sunday for the wife for Mother's Day

Quick Reply