Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > So what do you do if you don't drink ?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
woodenbuick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 97
Default So what do you do if you don't drink ?

The meds my Dr. put me on and alcohol don't mix. An occasional beer is OK but not 1 or 2 a day. More like 1 or 2 a month. An this is a long term regime, not just a month or 2.

So, I like making beer and I have a fridge full of beers that I have bought / made. I plan on taking some to a party we have next week and give some to friends and keep some.

But I like making the beer almost more then I do drinking them. So what do I do with the beer I make ? Beers I want to make (Dark and Malty, mainly stouts and porters) my friends don't drink as much as the IPAs and lite lagers. These beers bore me and my taste.

SUggestions ??

__________________
woodenbuick is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
deadcactus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: City, Texas
Posts: 60
Default

Smaller batches and enter in competitions? Can't drink often but you could at least taste so it's not like trying to be a blind painter. Stick to lower ABV beers so you don't wipe out your monthly allowance for alcohol with half an Imperial IPA.

Shouldn't be that hard to give away beer, preferences be damned. Can always get new friends with different tastes too.

__________________
deadcactus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BBL_Brewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kokomo, IN
Posts: 3,695
Liked 418 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Default

Yeah I would lower your abv as far as you can and still get a good tasting beer. Maybe even mash a little higher so that you get more body with less grain.

__________________
Slots Down Brewery
Stick with the plan....not the sparge.


Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

BBL_Brewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
fishkid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Clawson, MI
Posts: 323
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

You could also work on a few really big beers that would benefit from long-term aging.

__________________
Twitter
fishkid is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
Homebrewtastic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,044
Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I think you're in a really great place as far as having to be patient. Since you can't drink much I would just drink what you already have once or twice a month and then make beers that require lots of time and patient. Such as lambics and other sours but also RIS and barleywines.

__________________
On Deck:
Primary: Lambic-ish
Kegged: Das Funken Weisse, Un Poquito Wylde
Bottled: Epik Barleywine, Chocolate Chili Pumpkin Porter, EKG Amber
Adventures in Zymurgy - Homebrewing and Sour Beer Blog
Homebrewtastic is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
aubiecat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alexander City, Alabama
Posts: 1,152
Liked 122 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkid View Post
You could also work on a few really big beers that would benefit from long-term aging.
That is what I would do. Find some beers that take forever to condition.
__________________
aubiecat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
gypsyhead
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: I've Been Everywhere Man, Tough Question
Posts: 180
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default

If you really dig the brewing process and whatnot, well, learn how to brew a pot still, brew your beers like normal, then distill* and discard the alcohol, leaving you with a "nearly" alcohol free brew that should still taste roughly like the original beer. This process will create some flavor changes in the brew similar to a pasteurization process, and you will volatize some of the lighter aroma and flavor compounds, but like you said, if you like dark and heavy anyway, it's not going to matter that much. And you could always dry-hop post distillation.

*Technically home-distillation is still illegal for homebrewers, and I'm sure the site admins will have a bit of a field day with this suggestion, but if you're discarding the alcohol for the purpose of rendering your beer alcohol free... I don't know where the line would fall

__________________
Gypsy Head Brewing Company
"I promise never to drink any more... but just as much." - Buster Keaton
gypsyhead is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 18,451
Liked 3146 Times on 1964 Posts
Likes Given: 2660

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyhead View Post
If you really dig the brewing process and whatnot, well, learn how to brew a pot still, brew your beers like normal, then distill* and discard the alcohol, leaving you with a "nearly" alcohol free brew that should still taste roughly like the original beer. This process will create some flavor changes in the brew similar to a pasteurization process, and you will volatize some of the lighter aroma and flavor compounds, but like you said, if you like dark and heavy anyway, it's not going to matter that much. And you could always dry-hop post distillation.

*Technically home-distillation is still illegal for homebrewers, and I'm sure the site admins will have a bit of a field day with this suggestion, but if you're discarding the alcohol for the purpose of rendering your beer alcohol free... I don't know where the line would fall
There have been a lot of threads and efforts at homebrewing a NA beer, but I don't think much success. Boiling off the alcohol is definitely one of the things that hasn't worked.
__________________
What Would Vermeer Paint?
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
Chesterbelloc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USU Aggie Extension, Utah
Posts: 121
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenbuick View Post
The meds my Dr. put me on and alcohol don't mix. An occasional beer is OK but not 1 or 2 a day. More like 1 or 2 a month. An this is a long term regime, not just a month or 2.

So, I like making beer and I have a fridge full of beers that I have bought / made. I plan on taking some to a party we have next week and give some to friends and keep some.

But I like making the beer almost more then I do drinking them. So what do I do with the beer I make ? Beers I want to make (Dark and Malty, mainly stouts and porters) my friends don't drink as much as the IPAs and lite lagers. These beers bore me and my taste.

SUggestions ??


Take your time learning more about the craft. Make better brews, especially, more well-conditioned brews. Learn how to brew low-gravity ales. (~2.8% to 3.2%) Those can be terrifically difficult to master. Spend time upgrading your equipment... not perhaps for higher-volume for ease of use.

I call this last part "Going caveman". The dependence on electricty and pumps and this and that by many brewers has left a noticeable void. Learn how to brew over a wood-fired pit; that is, if you have the space or the place.... just a suggestion.


Also... I say this with some hesitation... learn to drink something else besides beer. I have cut down massively on my beer consumption by enrolling in a coffee of the month thing. Stone the heretic! I also do things other than brew and drink. Perhaps you might like some GK Chesterton.
__________________
Chesterbelloc is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
woodenbuick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 97
Default

I already have another hobby that takes a lot of my time and energy (and $$$). I rebuild old cars, I am 3 years into a 5 + year project to rebuild a 1939 Buick. So that keeps me busy. I also like to cook which is why I lie recipes and brewing beer. So I have plenty to do including work.

But, I like your ideas of smaller batches and bigger tasting beers. Have been wanting to try a Barleywine or a RIS, maybe it is time. Get rid of this Blue Moon clone I am brewing for a close friend and I will look. My mash tun won't hold enough for a 5 gallon batch but maybe 2 - 3 gallon batch will work.

Low alcohol doesn't interest me at all, I don't drink for the buzz but like a nice tasting malty beer. Maybe I just haven't tried a good low ABV beer yet.

At least one good thing has come of this, I am down 25 lbs since going on the medicines and not drinking as much. BTW, they cut out all cola and caffeine too. That was harder then the beer. I was a grouch for the 1st week or two, who says its not addictive ?

__________________
woodenbuick is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drink to relax or drink because your relaxed? Nowuries General Beer Discussion 23 02-25-2012 08:30 AM
How much do you drink? elproducto General Beer Discussion 247 01-17-2012 02:57 PM
You drink more than you think! dirtdigger General Beer Discussion 36 10-19-2011 09:21 PM
Which to drink first? bad coffee General Beer Discussion 9 04-21-2009 11:42 PM
I don't think i can drink it. Joos General Beer Discussion 3 02-22-2009 01:12 PM