So what am I missing with Plate Chiller Connections?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizzyPants

Reaction score
I have a 30 plate plate chiller coming this week. I have done some research and everyone has cam locks and elbows it seems and all these expensive fittings.

My chiller will have two 3/4 male inlet/outlet and two 3/8 in/out for wort.

What about the applicable female to barb and for a back flush throw the 3/4 water line on the 3/8 with a clamp?

What am I missing?

~Diz

It all depends on the rest of your system. Decide where you plan to mount your chiller and go from there. You don't really need anything expensive for them to work properly, they just make things a little easier. I went for a while with no elbows, garden hose fittings for the cooling side, a quick disconnect for the beer-in side, and a 3/8 barbed fitting for the beer-out side. Now I've put elbows on the cooling water in and out and an elbow on the beer-in, also added a quick disconnect to the beer-out for easier back flushing. But, that all fits my system and might not work for you.

I put on a few garden hose quick connects for the water side and barbs for the wort side when I got mine a year or so ago. I haven't found a reason to change yet.

It all depends on the rest of your system. Decide where you plan to mount your chiller and go from there. You don't really need anything expensive for them to work properly, they just make things a little easier. I went for a while with no elbows, garden hose fittings for the cooling side, a quick disconnect for the beer-in side, and a 3/8 barbed fitting for the beer-out side. Now I've put elbows on the cooling water in and out and an elbow on the beer-in, also added a quick disconnect to the beer-out for easier back flushing. But, that all fits my system and might not work for you.

Any reason you didn't put an elbow on the beer-out of your chiller? Personal preference (for back flush) or a flow reason? I'm having a hard time finding where to keep elbows away from in my pump system. Thanks!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414882065.887085.jpg
Here is my final setup. Works like a charm!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back