Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > So, so dry

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2013, 03:10 AM   #11
jonmohno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Sounds like you need to restructure you beer profile to give you beer more body. Many simple things can help this by ingredience or adjusting mash temp. Brewing is not black and white. And you cant pinpoint this on only being a yeast starter problem.But you do have a problem using heaping tsp. of dme for a starter though. Which would cause problems already from the getgo.
Using the appropriate amount for a yeast starter and making starters have improved my beers when I started using them more,it was especially neccassary when harvesting/ranching yeast. That and you dont know how viable your yeast is mostly. Getting your beer a good start is a good idea if you can make a little time/effort for it but if you dont see a difference then just keep at what you like to do but chances are its something else possibly too that you may not have identified yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
...so if your beer is overattenuating with that amount of a "starter"- look somewhere else.
Exactly my thoughts. But, we aren't allowed to ask about process at all so I really can't help.
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 09-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #13
smccarter
Recipes 

Liked 162 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 80

The OP was intended to be a light discussion about yeast starters. Didn't really want to get into a heavy discussion.

I'll continue making yeast starters. Could easily be something other than the yeast starter(s). I am not a brewmaster... The equipment that I have is home brewing equipment. The measuring tools that I have are... well... home brewing grade measuring tools. And, of course, my taste buds are probably not as developed as they could be when it comes to tasting beer. I've yet to tasted grass or peaches in any of my beer. Bananas maybe... lol. I really do sometimes get a kick out of listening to comments about how a beer tastes.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. It'll be okay though. The beer will eventually go to a better place. No matter how dry it is.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #14
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

you may experience other off flavors and issues without using a yeast starter so I wouldn't not use one just to avoid a lower FG

which yeast strain(s) were you using? that can have a huge impact on the FG and mouthfeel of the beer as well as the recipe

hops can also add to the perception of dryness as well as certain adjuncts etc

if you want to share a recipe and yeast details we can prob help figure out what can be done next time to avoid it drying out further than you like

Old 09-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #15
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarter View Post
The OP was intended to be a light discussion about yeast starters. Didn't really want to get into a heavy discussion.

I'll continue making yeast starters. Could easily be something other than the yeast starter(s). I am not a brewmaster... The equipment that I have is home brewing equipment. The measuring tools that I have are... well... home brewing grade measuring tools. And, of course, my taste buds are probably not as developed as they could be when it comes to tasting beer. I've yet to tasted grass or peaches in any of my beer. Bananas maybe... lol. I really do sometimes get a kick out of listening to comments about how a beer tastes.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. It'll be okay though. The beer will eventually go to a better place. No matter how dry it is.
I am sorry maybe we didn't know exactly what you mean by a "light discussion". Yeast starters are super easy to make and will have a positive effect on your beer when done correctly. Is that "light enough"

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 09-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #16
smccarter
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
I am sorry maybe we didn't know exactly what you mean by a "light discussion". Yeast starters are super easy to make and will have a positive effect on your beer when done correctly. Is that "light enough"
Too light.... darker man.... get darker.

I know how seriously folks take things like yeast and yeast starters. My job is a stressful one. I really don't want to take crap on a message board because I didn't boil for 62 minutes, or add my hops exactly at 20 minutes, or whatever. I do enjoy a conversation, but arrogance just pisses me off.

I've read some really good things in this thread. I'll use them. As a matter of fact, I've got a yeast starter going right now. The wort I'm using is about 1.045 and it's just about a liter. We'll see how that goes.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #17
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 350 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 1120

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarter View Post
I've started making yeast starters recently...
...I believe my beers may be better without the starters...
...I didn't measure anything. I boiled about 1.5 cups of water with 2-3 heaping spoonfuls of DME, cooled and added the yeast and put it on the stir plate for 48 hours as described in numerous posts here.
Well sh!t, there lies your answer. First you're teasing your yeast, then you wonder why she won't give you good beer.
Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Flanders
On tap: 2.3'd | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 09-28-2013, 12:11 AM   #18
smccarter
Recipes 

What a difference.... It's been on the stir plate for just over 2 hours and already a krausen. Pretty cool.

We'll see how this one goes.

Read earlier "hops can also add to the perseption of dryness....". Funny thing that was mentioned. I actually strive to brew a balanced beer. I don't really enjoy extremely sweet beer, and I'm not in the "bitter is better" club. I like a balanced beer. I feel like I'm dialing things in and that may be the actual reason for the perceived dryness. Makes sense.

I've read on a few posts that some folks take a pull off of their current batch and save it for a yeast starter. I live in Florida where city water comes out of the tap at about 80 degrees. What I've been doing lately is bring the wort down to between 80 and 85 degrees... put it in the carboy and pitch my yeast the next day. That's the plan with this batch. I pulled a liter of wort off of the kettle and cooled it. I added the yeast at about 3:30 or so... it's 6:20 now and already has a krausen. I'll pitch the yeast either tomorrow or Sunday.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS