Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > "So and so" is a beer connoisseur

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 01:25 AM   #61
Piratwolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by pernox
Stop having friends.

Works every time.
Well, 60% of the time it works every time....

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #62
Frogmanx82
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
Most of the people I know won't touch ANY of my homebrews. "They're too strong" they say! They can't handle malt flavor, hop aroma/flavor, or high ABV. If you hand them something other than BMC they'll look at you funny. I don't drink BMC, but I don't mind that the people I know are the way they are. If I'm out socially and someone hands me a BMC I'll drink it. I won't enjoy it much, but I'll drink it.

I guess what I'm getting at is... a snob won't drink certain beers and will snub them. A beer connoisseur (Zythologist) must try all styles of beer to truely be a connoisseur.

Just my opinion...
You need some new friends. I had a brew party last summer and we bottled some beer, brewed some beer and did tastings of a half dozen different home brews. Everybody had a great time. People also brought all sorts of craft beers. There was some BMC but overall, people are willing to try something new.

For me though, Bud aint new. I'll never forget the time I went to Ireland to visit my uncle. He was so proud he had this great import beer. I was all keyed up and then it turned out to be Bud. Doh.... I think that's the last time I had one.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #63
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1000 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 2673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmanx82 View Post
You need some new friends..
Haha, at this point in life I don't want new ones! I'll just put up with the old ones. It just seems to be the attitude in my city. There really isn't a very big craft beer/homebrew following here. It's all good. More for me!

Old 12-06-2012, 01:59 AM   #64
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1324 Times on 967 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Quote:
You need some new friends. I had a brew party last summer and we bottled some beer, brewed some beer and did tastings of a half dozen different home brews. Everybody had a great time. People also brought all sorts of craft beers. There was some BMC but overall, people are willing to try something new.

For me though, Bud aint new. I'll never forget the time I went to Ireland to visit my uncle. He was so proud he had this great import beer. I was all keyed up and then it turned out to be Bud. Doh.... I think that's the last time I had one.
Because you should only be friends with and hang out with people who do the same things you do and like the same things you like

Up Next: English Summer Ale, Best Bitter, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
Primary: Empty (for now)
Secondary: Sour Stout, Wild Bitter
Polypinned: Pale Mild
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone, ESB, Dark Mild
Bottle "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 12-06-2012, 02:02 AM   #65
Billy-Klubb
Capt. Floccin' Awesome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2068 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 4150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
Most of the people I know won't touch ANY of my homebrews. "They're too strong" they say! They can't handle malt flavor, hop aroma/flavor, or high ABV. If you hand them something other than BMC they'll look at you funny. I don't drink BMC, but I don't mind that the people I know are the way they are. If I'm out socially and someone hands me a BMC I'll drink it. I won't enjoy it much, but I'll drink it.

I guess what I'm getting at is... a snob won't drink certain beers and will snub them. A beer connoisseur (Zythologist) must try all styles of beer to truely be a connoisseur.

Just my opinion...
paint me a snob. I stopped drinking/eating things I know I don't like. I'm not rude about it, but I don't like it, I won't take it.

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...

Old 12-06-2012, 02:06 AM   #66
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I definitely don't fit the definition of connoisseur, I just love beer. I drink BMC when my pipeline is low, I build my own 6 packs at the liquor store to try new beers and I buy craft beer. It mainly depends on my budget!

"Beer snob" annoys me just as much if not more than connoisseur.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:22 AM   #67
Frogmanx82
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf View Post
Because you should only be friends with and hang out with people who do the same things you do and like the same things you like
Because if you like to brew beer you should find some friends who can enjoy it with you, they could be new friends or old friends. Also, people will try new things if you make it fun. You don't need to only be friends with people who like what you like, but you need a few.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #68
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy-Klubb View Post
paint me a snob. I stopped drinking/eating things I know I don't like. I'm not rude about it, but I don't like it, I won't take it.
Not a snob, just a tad close-minded perhaps... my 3 year-old daughter has a similar mentality . Seriously though, it'll be hard to convince me people who proclaim their loathing of BMC aren't just doing so to prove their craft beer coolness. My brother-in-law brought a friend over once and we decided to have some beer. I just got back from camping and had a bunch of Keystone Light in the fridge, so I grabbed one for each of us, at which point this guys says, "Oh, no thanks, I only drink the good stuff." So, I swapped his Keystone for a SNPA. Then as he was leaving he noticed my 5 tap kegerator in the garage, even mentioned how cool it was. I'm sure he wondered why I didn't offer him any, or maybe he just assumed I was all out... I wasn't.

Quote:
Because if you like to brew beer you should find some friends who can enjoy it with you, they could be new friends or old friends. Also, people will try new things if you make it fun. You don't need to only be friends with people who like what you like, but you need a few.
Local homebrew clubs.

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

|BRULOSOPHY|

Old 12-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #69
negativereaction
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Part of the reason people want to apply accurate tags and terms to themselves or others is that you want to find a common ground on a topic to discuss. I've had friends/relatives come over and go 'yeah, i'm a beer connoisseur, i love good beer', and I think 'hey, kindred spirit, let's talk about beer!', and then they go 'I only drink light beers', or 'i only like ales', and after that I realize what category they really fall into, and I limit our beer discussion to that level, whereas with a 'real' beer snob I would go down an entirely different path.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #70
Enoch52
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
Sorry but that's plain ridiculous. Are we as a society expected to start dumbing ourselves down using "idiocracy" like terms such as "geek" over "connoisseur"? If I've been drinking several hundreds of types of beer, learning their origins, various aspects about the beers, their histories, and having dumped that much money I'd think it silly just to label me a geek. A word that, mind you, was typically assigned by jocks to kids they would wedgy and torture in school.

To instantly assume a connoisseur is some snobby douche in a leather chair is akin to thinking someone with a Ph.D. shouldn't call include the term doctor unless they are of the medical type.

Rev. (Beer brewer and connoisseur) - typing this from my posh leather chair in my elaborate study by the fireplace while sipping not beer but 80 year old brandy...not. LOL
The difference between a doctor and a connoisseur is that "connoisseur" is a self-appointed title half the time, and the other half it's mostly bestowed by people who know less about a subject than the recipient.

I prefer "beer geek". It doesn't have the holier-than-thou judgementality some of the other titles do, and it makes no claims as to expertise. It's something I'm passionate about, and I'll talk your ear off if you let me. Like most geeks I've done some research and experimentation and can generally talk intelligently about it--but any title that implies expertise I'd prefer be bestowed by somebody else, preferably somebody who has that expertise themselves.

Quick Reply